D+2: "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."

Originally posted by TimTheEnchanter
:viking: - :confused: - :groucho: - :nya: - :nuke:
(Viking thinking to himself, "If only there was a weapon that could quickly take care of 17 units in a city all at once..." ;) )
Well, as the log I just posted shows that's exactly what I thought to myself ;).

You now have a little mess to clean up ;).

Notes:

IMPORTANT !!!!!
I have been constantly attacking the area east of Russian Tee, deliberately without capturing any cities, however I have emptied Magnitogorsk on every turn. I did this by using only one of a howitzer's movement points to attack and then retreated the howie to a city (if I used both movement points to attack the howies would get killed in a counterattack). This gradually weakens the enemy's defenses. For a similar reason I nuked a few cities around Moscow but didn't capture them. I strongly recommend emptying a few cities around Moscow for several turns before we capture any cities there and also gradually increasing the number of cities we empty. This makes a possible counterattack much weaker and reduces the danger of losing a tech to Russian spies (and we will not lose any cities !). It's also easier to defend one or two cities against espionage attempts than 5-10 cities. The only downside to this is that eastern Russia looks slightly messy at the moment. Related to this is are the fortresses and 'human shields' (an interim defense) around Moscow and Invade Russia, the purpose is to block Russian spies. The Russians tried to steal a tech in Invade Russia but our spies foiled this. It is important to have two veteran spies in Moscow, Invade Russia and Russian Tee to defend against this. If the Russians manage to steal Rocketry we may be in trouble but I think we can prevent this, at least until we can build SDIs (should happen within 5 turns). Once we can, we should immediately build SDIs in Moscow, Russian Tee and cities like Tsingtao even if the AI civs still do not have rocketry. The Greeks also attempted espionage in Russian Tee but this was foiled; it's because of this that I added a second fortress west of Russian Tee. We should add another one east of RT as well.

This probably summarizes my strategy: Not to capture a city unless all neighboring cities are empty. Exception: First city captured on a continent, like Moscow and Jarrow.
Important stuff ends

The Russians do not have flight. This makes using bombers against them fun. However, the Vikings and Spanish have flight meaning more AI civs will soon have it. However, soon we will have stealth.

There is much less cash left now than I had at the start ($2548 vs. more than $8000). However, we have 'hidden cash' in Russian Tee in the form of freights that are demanded by nearby Russian cities. I have been delivering several demanded freights per turn for the past 4-5 turns. This has yielded a few thousand gold per turn and one tech advance every turn. IMO it's extremly important to sustain a tech rate of one tech per turns, we want SDIs ASAP and getting stealth fighters will be fun. This should be easy: Each turn I have searched for cities that supply copper, coal, dye and uranium and then rush bought these unless the city was small, even with no shields in the city's 'build box'. I have been delivering exclusively to the Russians, the payoff is high since their cities are *huge* (Dnepropetrovsk was size 50 before I nuked it). Uranium is especially valuable, there are always some cities demanding it; this sometimes yields more than $1500.

I founded Northern Spain to be able to ship units from our main continent to Russian Tee in one turn, never having to leave transports out in the open between turns is also important.

Foo Bar was founded to invade Jarrow.

Moscow's Nuke and Invade Russia were founded so the Russian continent near Moscow could be reached without leaving transports out in the open between turns and in one turn from our continents. We might want to disband Invade Russia soon since once we get nuclear power (probably next turn) we can reach Krasnoyarsk in one turn from Moscow's Nuke.

Tsingtao has a huge number of shields, currently 109 and still hasn't built a Manufacturing Plant (MP) and Offshore Platform (OP). I recommend fixing the pollution problems there (it's about to build a Recycling Center but might also need a Solar Plant) and then adding MP and OP. INO we then should build an airport and start churning out stealth fighters at a rate of one per turn. This city can support dozens of these and has Shakespeare's Theater, meaning no happiness problems.

I captured Jarrow to get Women's Suffrage because we want to have a lot of units out in the field. We need more howies there and should start attacking/emptying neighboring cities (as in Russia) without capturing any at the moment.

The Mongols have lost lots of units (mostly artilleries) attacking Blenheim Palace but we haven't lost a single unit there.

Interestingly the Russians are the only AI civ that has discovered sanitation.

Mongol ships have been a rapidly increasing problems. Port of Spain was especially hard hit and they also have attacked Andu's Forest, Macao, Turin and maybe more. We need ships and/or an airforce there and maybe we also should start attacking from Blenheim Palace and Naples to divert their attention (however, my emphasis was on the Russians).

At the start of my reign only a few cities had barracks (for example only 4 on the main continent). This has largely been fixed. Another problem that has not been fixed although the situation has improved is the many undefended coastal cities on our main continent. Fortunately no enemy transports have shown up yet.

Beware of a lot of Greek ships near Russian Tee and Spain.

Russian ships have attacked some of the former Zulu cities as well as Moscow's Nuke and Sna Fu but there have not been as many Russian ships as Mongol ones.

Pollution is a little problematic at the moment and is the one and only reason I didn't nuke more cities :D. We need to bring reinforcements, including engineers, to Moscow to clean up the mess. We can bring two transports there next turn since Cymru and Moscow's Nuke both have (or will have) two transports next turn (Moscow's Nuke more). If I had things my way I'd probably send something like 5 engineers, 3 mechanized infantries, 5 howitzers and 3 spies.

It is importnant to have veteran spies in cities that are vulnerable to enemy espionage attempts (Moscow is an obvious example).

There are two veteran spies in Ngome, they sabotaged the nearby Viking ship. We should keep building some spies and making them veteran by sabotaging AI units.

The Mongol coastal city of Cunaxa is very close to some of our cities (Mongol Frontier/Venice). IMO we should capture it ASAP (we are at war with the Mongols).

And here is the game:

That Viking has ALL the fun.

One question: Did the "nuclear terrorism" situation cause us to drop in terms of reputation? Does this mean we are not "Spotless" any longer?

Also - with pollution. The reason I was building mass transit systems is that I've found that the combination of mass transit and solar plant will end ALL pollution in a given city. A recycling plant is not necessary anywhere.

Originally posted by Kev
That Viking has ALL the fun.

One question: Did the "nuclear terrorism" situation cause us to drop in terms of reputation? Does this mean we are not "Spotless" any longer?

Also - with pollution. The reason I was building mass transit systems is that I've found that the combination of mass transit and solar plant will end ALL pollution in a given city. A recycling plant is not necessary anywhere.
The remarkable things is that our reputation always stays spotless when we nuke someone we are already at war with, regardless of how we nuke. Even getting caught red-handed (as I was when nuking Moscow) does not affect our reputation so this can be a great way to get everyone to declare war (I was very happy with that because it enabled me to capture some Spanish cities and kill a whole lot of annoying Mongol troops).

I had forgotten about the MT/SP combination for getting rid of pollution so the recycling plants should be switched to something else (they have not been built). Probably an airport in Tsingtao (stealth fighters rule !) and something else in Kaifeng.

And yes, this was FUN. Maybe the most fun turns I've ever played in a succession game. The only problem was that this took an awful lot of time, well over 10 hours.

Originally posted by Kev

Mass Transits eliminate all population pollution while Solar Plants eliminate all Resourse pollution. Recylcing plants reduce the amount of pollution my 2/3 (or something like that). The general rule is that a Mass Transit and Recycling center will make it so that a city that produces less than 60 shields (I don't remember the exact number, mid 50's or so) will not generate any pollution. If the production is larger than that, we'll need a Solar Plant. So, in cities that aren't producing more than 50ish shields a Recycling Center works just as well as a Solar Plant.

Solar Plants also increase the number of polluted squares we can have on the map before global warming occurs. For each two Solar Plants we have, another square of pollution can exist before global warming will occur.

Thanks for the info Duke. I also know that having solar plants will reduce the liklihood of global warming as well. Will the RC's do that as well?

Since I'm stuck cleaning this mess up, How many skulls before Global warming happens? How many are we dealing with now?

Do I have to go clean up those Russian cities immediately? I can try to protect them with Mechs or something but it looks like we could lose a lot of engineers that way.

Originally posted by Kev
I also know that having solar plants will reduce the liklihood of global warming as well. Will the RC's do that as well?

Nope. Recycling Centers do not reduce global warming.

I haven't looked at the save yet, so I'm not sure how many pollution squares we have and I can't remember how many we can have before global warming hits.

If we have to clean them all right away, figure two engineers per pollution square and then I would look at trying to build some well placed forts around with Mech Inf in them to try and create a buffer zone against counter attack. Either way, I don't think it will be pretty.

Keep in mind that if we're able to keep hold of the UN in Moscow, then all cease-fire stuff will go directly to peace. We can then insist they leave our territory, etc if we're looking to start things up again. A brief peace with the Russians may give us the chance to clean and solidify before we start up again (as long as WE have the UN).

Of course, with most we won't want to stop war, and I believe that with the UN we'll have a more "hawkish" senate...

If we have environmentalism, I could suggest rush-building as many solar plants as possible for the pollution. I'm not sure the ratio as to how many plants couteract how many pollution. We may wish to give environmentalism to the AI's and see if they're bored enough to build some SP's...

Originally posted by Kev
If we have environmentalism, I could suggest rush-building as many solar plants as possible for the pollution. I'm not sure the ratio as to how many plants couteract how many pollution. We may wish to give environmentalism to the AI's and see if they're bored enough to build some SP's...

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
Solar Plants also increase the number of polluted squares we can have on the map before global warming occurs. For each two Solar Plants we have, another square of pollution can exist before global warming will occur.

It would be good if the AI would build some Solar Plants. Gifting them the tech may be tricky though since I'd assume we have others they would want before that one.

Yes, I thought it was a two solar plant-to-one pollution ratio. Thanks.

Keep forgetting that you cannot pick and choose the techs to gift away. Last time I did gift some techs, it was my Loki persona and I just gave everything away anyway.

Yes, I have a feeling that there are plenty of techs the AI would consider more of a priority.

Nevermind then.

There are 16 polluted squares now. I cleaned up a few squres during the current turn (1871 AD) and I don't think more squares can be cleaned until next turn.

That said, I don't think we'll run into global warming (GW) problems but I have a silly question: What's needed to get GW ? I've never had it. IIRC I once had more than 30 polluted squares without problems after I nuked a few cities - I quickly cleaned this up.

We can move a few engineers over to Russia next turn and finish cleaning up around Moscow. As previously mentioned, I do not recommend capturing any Russian cities until a few turns from now. Because of geography I notice one exception: Minsk because we can build a fortress where our howitzers is standing (between Minsk and St. Petersburg). This isolates Minsk from the the other cities and makes it extremely difficult for the Russians to steal techs, especially since many neighboring cities will be empty, making a counterattack weak. Thus we can finish cleaning up around Minsk as well. And it's definitely not necessary to cleanup everything next turn - if we manage to get the number of polluted squares down to 5-10 or so we should be safe.

We can also soon start cleaning up around St. Petersburg and/or Dnepropetrovsk by using 4 engineers, 2 to clean up and 2 to build a fortress. However, any counterattack should be weak because several cities near Moscow are empty and it will be the AI's first priority to get defensive units inside these cities, not to counterattack.

As previously indicated I had a lot of fun during my turns :D. However, I also think that all of this nuking I did actually was the best strategy, there were far too many units inside these Russian cities for conventional weapons to be effective.

PS There's one polluted square near the city of Tim's (!) Whale that's ready to be cleaned up next turn.

It sounds like the break off for Recycling Plants is actually the low 60's. Like around 61 or 62 . . . . (?) And to be more correct, the Recycling Center only 'reduces the pollution caused by factories'. So, if a city was able to get to a high enough shield production without a factory, then it sounds as if a Recycling Center may do no good.

It looks like we have 16 squares of pollution. I still can't remember how many it takes for global warming though. I also remember something about 2.42 that only the squares that are inside your city radius count towards your score, but all the pollution squares on the board count towards global warming(?).

I'm just trying to get an idea of scheduling. Tim's up, then me, correct? We don't have any people that were skipped that need to have any make-up sessions (except for Andu, who has about 10 of them ;)).

I won't be available this coming weekend (13th and 14th), so I may need a Sub. We'll see how things work out.

Just sent in my contribution for the GOTM 31, so I'm available to step in.

I remember taking a lot of time with my moves -- partly due to the number of units, partly due to the desire to be careful. So I expect that even with only playing five turns, it may be a couple of day turn around for any of us in the pipeline.

It looks like we have 16 squares of pollution. I still can't remember how many it takes for global warming though. I also remember something about 2.42 that only the squares that are inside your city radius count towards your score, but all the pollution squares on the board count towards global warming(?).

I once played a game where I attempted to use a global warming as a strategy. The strategy didn't really work, but I seem to recall learning that global warming takes about 20 turns.

Have arrived in Oregon:crazyeye:

Andu:

Great to hear that you've arrived in the lovely Pacific Northwest. Hope you'll be set up soon so you can tune back in with a few turns on this.

As far as my own turn, I'm now on a business trip and I'll be here in Chicago until the 16th (pity you're not still in town, Andu). I'll be back for a day and then off again to Philadelphia until the 20th. I can chime in on a qucik turnaround on the 17th or take over the weekend of the 20th.

I can get to the net to comment - heaven forbid I should deprive you all of that ;) Just can't play the game.

I'm just trying to get an idea of scheduling. Tim's up, then me, correct? We don't have any people that were skipped that need to have any make-up sessions (except for Andu, who has about 10 of them ).

I won't be available this coming weekend (13th and 14th), so I may need a Sub. We'll see how things work out.

With the start of school, soccer practices, and my other obsession, NFL Football, I haven't had much time to play at all, but I started looking at the game (Trying to figure out just how much pollution I have to clean up, etc) and started playing. However, I have yet to get to the part where I hit <Enter> for the first time yet.

Edit: to quote the right post :crazyeye:

Top Bottom