1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

D+2: "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Andu Indorin, May 26, 2003.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Yep. A partisan unit does not envoke the usual request for a talk. On top of that they ignore ZOC so they can slide into any city once it is emptied.

2. Duke of Marlbrough

After a crushing blow was delivered to the Russians, the glorious Chinese empire was hungry for more.

The Vikings
    With a flurry of activity they used the Vikings well developed rail lines to surround the Viking cities. One by one the cities dropped. A parlay was never even given a chance to happen with Andu's Diplomatic rouse. The mighty Viking Empire was cut down to a shadow of its former self, with just four cities left under its control.

On all other fronts a grand plan was put into motion. A count of enemy cities showed that we were painfully short of units in many areas.

They would not be launching a Spaceship anytime soon.

The Greeks
    With the ruined Russian empire located to the North, the Greeks faced many battle-hardened units that could be used to expel them from their cities. However, many of the units were also weary from recent fighting, so fresh replacements would be need to shore up their lines.

To the South, a swam of Chinese units boiled around them. The only thing that saved the Greeks from annihilation sooner was that the boiling units were contained by a vast stretch of desert and mountains. Many Engineers were built in the newly captured Viking cities to ensure that the mighty army that waited below could cross the desert and exercise their guns. Nature saved them from death; this year.

Another concern amongst the Chinese Military planners was a small island just North of the Greeks main continent. Many of the cities there had no roads so that Chinese troops could reach them. In preparation, the Chinese military occupied a city on the island to serve as a beachhead with which to launch its assault on the rest of the island. The city is filled with all Stealth fighters that are in range.

The Mongols
    This was the weakest point of the Chinese army. Progress had been made against the lethargic Spanish using outdated Artillery, but City Walls protecting Mongol Riflemen could prove to be risky and did not afford any degree of certainty in a Chinese attack.

Engineers from adjoining lands were shipped in and charged to ensure that modern units could be brought into battle quickly. Many Howitzers were built to flood the Mongols lands the following turn.

3. Duke of Marlbrough

The Chinese are briefly distracted when they notice that their scientists did not complete their discovery even though a small team of scientists were assigned to the task.

With the end planned to happen this year, the Chinese do not concern their war plans with containing any Partisan units that may appear. For, if the nation that supports them is no more, so are they.

The Vikings
    The final cities of the Vikings are emptied with the help of an army of engineers that allows the waiting troops to cross the open desert. The Spaceship that the Vikings had attempted to build is no more. The Vikings are no more.

The Greeks
    The remainder of the army that crushed the Russians rushes to meet the swam of troops that dispatched the Vikings. They meet in the middle and decimate ever city in their path. The only action that occurs, other than the attacking of cities, is the quick strikes against any unit foolish enough to block the meager rail line that connects the cities. Additional rail lines are built to allow easy access to the cities that Stealth Fighters could not reach.

The island to the North is assaulted by Stealth Fighters that are fully fueled and ready for action. Newly built Paratroopers are brought by ship to our secure beachhead and Para dropped into the distant cities. The Greeks join the Vikings in the abyss.

The Mongols
    A couple quick strikes and two sheltered cities are captured. A couple more incursions clears a path for our waiting engineers to complete a badly needed rail line. Once the line is completed, all of the remaining Mongol cities are within easy reach of recently built land troops. Once the logistics of the units is worked out, the final Mongol cities are captured and the Greeks and Vikings have more company in the Abyss.

4. Duke of Marlbrough

Game Summary

The years of liberation:
    Zulus – 1857
    Spanish – 1875
    Russians – 1878
    Vikings – 1879
    Greeks – 1879
    Mongols – 1879

Taxes are set to 100% luxuries. A few units are disbanded to the delight of some cities. All newly generated pollution squares (3) are cleaned. The many, many, many, many units that were not used during the turn are put on sentry duty.

A lone Partisan unit is ready to capture the last Mongol City.

After taking the last City some city micromanagement is done to ensure the most points.

So, two turns it was. :)

5. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

Magnificent job by Andu and Duke. A score of 861% and a population of over 200 million isn't bad. This game was remarkably easy once we really got going and we didn't have to chase down any spaceship-launching AI civs.

Now the big question is if there is interest in a new succession game, maybe a D+3 game ? I have never won at D+3 but have tried only twice. However, I have some ideas to try when I have time - I almost always win at D+2 so D+3 is the challenge these days.

6. Cactus_Jack

Cactus_Jack Lefty Nutter

Dont you feel gulity after what you done to the zulus? LOL I mean you should of kept them round as a pet city after all they have done for you as allys. Anyway i had fun reading this wish i had the version of civ that you lot use.

7. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Great job, all -- a lot of fun all around. :goodjob:

8. IluDeR

IluDeR Warlord

9. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

Simply amazing everyone! I have been monitoring this game since the beginning and am beyond impressed.

From Viking:

Now the big question is if there is interest in a new succession game, maybe a D+3 game ?

The answer here is 'yes', though I have never played above D+Zero. If a D+3 game is a go,put me at the end of the batting order so that the rest of you can get things set up before I start to create problems....

10. Duke of Marlbrough

I have great interest in a D+3 game, however, I don't have the time to commit to it. Maybe I can play a couple times as a 'guest' player?

11. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Thanks for all of the fun everyone. Great job of rolling at the end there.

I'll be up for a D+3, though I'll be travelling until the beginning of November. After November 5th or so, I should be OK to go!

12. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I'm up for it again! Let's see if I can incite even more barbarians this time!! :p

13. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

:lol: That's the spirit! I think I can give it a go as well.

14. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Nice going people.

I'm actually still around occasionally, and followed this game. :)

15. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I'm willing for another go, and I think that D+2 will still be a significant challenge, but if the group wants to go for D+3, count me in.

If we do want to go for D+3, I'd suggect no handicaps (although I think that there is merit in maintaining a spotless rep for as long as practicable. -- Also we should keep this in Classic.(vs MGE))

16. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

I'd prefer a D+3 game and I'd agree about a no handicaps rule. This would mean allowing e.g. fundamentalism but I'd still prefer to avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary to win the game.

Higher levels than deity are impossible in MGE (unless it is downgraded using a patch available somewhere). This really bugs me because conversely, gigamaps are possible in MGE but not Classic, meaning a D+1,2,3... gigamap game is impossible.

The next question if we go for D+3 is details like map size. I'd prefer a big map, maybe similar to the map in this game. It makes it harder to chase down the AI civs in the 'endgame' but during the early stages can be good and bad: Bad because it's more difficult to find an AI civ to trade techs with (or hopefully, form an alliance with) and good because one is less likely to meet a hostile AI civ that destroys everything in its path. My problem in the two D+3 games I've played was that when I first met an AI civ I was so pathetically weak that the AI decided to destroy me. This was a new experience (or rather, something I haven't experienced since my early Civ2 playing days ;)) because when I meet an AI civ I'm usually the stronger civ.

17. addiv

addiv Hero of our time

Wow, this was a very cool game, especially in the last turns :D Very well played! It seems when you get a decent empire of at least 10 cities running, winning is relatively easy (I played a D+2 game once, in which my power was weak till about 1850, but from then on, I rolled over all the opponents with my howitzer army). It gets of course harder and harder to build up a decent empire with higher difficulty levels.
    If there's going to be a D+3 SG here, count me in! I think a big map is a good idea yes.

18. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Actually, the key in both this game and the D+1 game was when we hit republic. The unhappiness is so horridly rampant and the citizens start out as black hats, so it's like the HG trick in an ICS game...the luxuries work double on them...it takes 4 cups to make a red hat happy but it only takes 2 cups to make a black hat happy. This keeps the cities content in normal times, and makes celebrations actually easier to achieve once you get going. I'm wondering if early republic isn't the way to go on these higher levels. I've not tried it, but there might be some merit. I think the biggest trick will be whether we can maintain republic without getting Mike's first.

19. addiv

addiv Hero of our time

What I did in my D+2 game was getting to SoL as fast as possible and then revolting to Fundamentalism. That was a real relief, since it allowed me to build the important Wonders Mike's and Bach's a lot faster and my fighting abilities were also very much increased. When I got Mike's and Bach's I revolted to Democracy, which was by then easy to maintain.

20. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

It was a fine game with a spectacular finish. Look forward to another -- but not until this decrepit and dying computer I am forced to use has been replaced. ...

AAARRRGGGHHH ! ! ! ! ! ! !