D+2: "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."

Since a new succession game has not been started I'm thinking of doing so this week assuming there is enough interest (and before the Civ2 "Stories & Tales" section dies down :( ). However, it's probably a good idea to discuss some game parameters. My idea is something like this:

Deity+3
Barbs+1 ("Barbarian Wrath")
Mapsize 172x58 (=9976 squares; the maximum is 10000)
Large landmass
Continents (or possibly varied)
Possibly a flat map
Restarts on
Spaceship on but only the AI is allowed to build one
Aggressive/expansionist/militaristic opponents like Russians/Celts, Zulus, Vikings, Spanish, Greeks/English, Mongols/Indians
Possibly no city bribes
Probably unit bribes
Barbs can be bribed

This should make the game extremely challenging; we might actually not succeed in winning. The AI civs should have a lot of land to expand and grow big (the AI civs are chosen with this in mind), there will be a lot of barbs and the size of the map could make it difficult to find someone to exchange techs with or become allied with early on (crucial at D+n).

Not too many restrictions, except for no spaceship win, and possibly some restrictions on bribing. Fundamentalism should be avoided unless absolutely necessary to win.

Suggestions and criticism welcome.

Please do start a new one! I love reading this stuff. You have a silent audience of at least one. :goodjob:

I'll join in again! :wavey:

I'm not so hot on the flat map...it always seems like more of an annoyance than a handicap - especially with what sounds like a pretty stretched out map configuration. Getting from one end to the other will require some sophisticated transportation that the AI can't usually handle. I was going to suggest a small island game as a new challenge, but that probably works against the AI because they won't be able to expand very well.

Would it be worth providing one or two more technically oriented civs so they don't all research the same military techs? It doesn't have to be a complete peacenik like the babs, but something more balanced than all mongol/viking/zulu etc.

I can play every so often, maybe.

My random thoughts (before I forget them):

If you want a max sized map, 80 x 125 works good.

The AI does not work too well with a flat map, but it doesn't work too well with a normal map either. ;) A flat map would handicap the human players since they would basically have to work through any potential foes close to them to be able to get at the ones farther away.

A varied map would give the Ai enough room to expand, but still make the human players have to deal with the huge navies that the AI will have.

Splitting the AI civs sounds good as well. That way there would be the threat of some strong military ones as well as some that would push towards the spaceship.

For the human players, I would suggest pushing towards Masonry/Construction early since that can help deal with Barbs much easier. Some well placed forts can greatly reduce the threat of barbs by either giving a secure point from which to defend/launch attacks, but they can also slow down the Barbs since they have a tendency to occupy an empty fort rather than continue moving.

Incredible game and fabulous writing. Thx for sharing and keeping this thread up. It has been stimulating, reassuring and intructive. (And it took about three days to read!)

Gotta go KILL some barbs.

Top Bottom