1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DaftNES V (Turn 5 in progress: Glacial Maximum)

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Daftpanzer, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I'm no stranger to busy-ness myself so I absolutely understand.

Sure I'll check all of that out! I'll try and join your Discord - what/who do I look for?

2. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Nice to meet you, Jkchart. Yeah, we don't have as much activity as we used to, but we're still a fairly cohesive community. It would be nice to involve you at some point. I'm sure Dafty and myself will eventually get our updates in the air ;)

We use IRC more than Discord for daily/regular communication because some of us are elder wizards. The connection details are in the IRC thread and we'd love to have you come hang out.

Jkchart and thomas.berubeg like this.
  3. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

Nice to meet you as well! I'll check out that thread ASAP :)

4. Kyzarc Fotjage

Kyzarc Fotjage Rise Up

5. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

Hello, I thought I should post after almost a year since the last update :o

I really loved how this NES turned out and how it all came together on the map. I definitely would like to come back to it at some point. But I have to face facts, I don't have the artistic energy right now to restart and update it regularly.

I'm officially putting this on hiatus, at the same time I'm thinking of starting a new project that has a simple map and rules, and is all about the worldbuilding. I'm thinking either another pre-civilization alternate-earth like this one, or a space empires setting. If you have any preference feel free to let me know either here or in NES on Discord.

In the meantime, I'd be very happy to share any of the sprites, graphics etc if people want to use them in other projects, just let me know.

And thanks again :salute:

Thlayli, erez87 and Jkchart like this.
  6. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I like pre-civilization TBH. I'll definately follow development.

7. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

It would be super cool to see how you get these sprites and graphics because I really liked looking at them!

8. Gelion

Gelion Captain

9. Daftpanzer

Hello again! I'm bumping this thread as I have an idea: to take this world with all its cultures, and turn it into a NES in the style of my 'alternate timeline experiment'. I have the inspiration to work on this kind of project again, but with the benefit of 12 years wisdom - and not trying to force things into a rough analogy of real world history, but letting things play out as they will.

Basically, the idea is a NES where you take a step back from controlling any particular kingdom or nation, and instead are the guiding force behind a certain family of cultures, descended from your original tribe. These family trees can intertwine via invasions and migrations, which is where things get interesting, you can end up with a powerful nation that is influenced by several players at once. And losing any particular nation is not a game-over.

I sadly don't have the patience these days to work on sprite-intensive maps, but I'm thinking of hand-drawing a more realistic world map based off this world.

If anyone is interested, please let me know!

I've said this a lot but thank you again to everyone who participates in my games. I'm sorry that some of them don't progress particularly far. I would like to pick up this world however!

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

I'd definitely be interested.

11. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Would love it.

12. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I’d love to since I’ve always wanted to learn more about how these work (so I’d be new and might be confused...)

13. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

I'd be interested

14. LordArgon

LordArgon King

Would love to.

15. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Also expressing interest and support

16. Daftpanzer

Thank you guys, I've now started a new thread here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/daftnes-vb.662704/

I've written up quite an in-depth review of the world as it was at the end of this thread. Where I felt it was appropriate, I've also incorporated some of the orders I still had.