1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Apparently they couldn't find anyone in Greenland to ask if they wanted to leave.

2. Domen

Domen Misico dux Vandalorum

An estimated 166 million people want to move the USA:

But 45 million want to move to Canada (which currently has only 35 million inhabitants):

How this was calculated:

3. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

It's interesting to see Botswana on that list! I heard they were doing well for an African country, but I didn't think that well.

4. Domen

Some religion-related graphs concerning the USA:

5. Domen

I wonder how much will "racial achievement gap" in the USA change when you exclude Jews from Whites ???

Because it seems that Jews might be significantly boosting up "White" performance in these statistics.

Take Jews from "Whites" category, add them instead to "Hispanics" or "Blacks", and see how it magically changes.

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

The women of Sweden must feel safe.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I'm not saying what that graph does show, but that graph might show more differences in reporting than differences in raping.

8. calad

calad Emperor

Yup, I cant think Sweden is 3x more dangerous than Finand.

9. Arwon

Arwon

Comparing official crime statistics across countries is meaningless. Doubly so for sexual assault. Tims is right to identify reporting rates as a factor. Swedish law enforcement almost certainly has higher confidence among victims than most other countries. Their laws and procedures are also better geared to protecting victims, and social attitudes more supportive of victims. And they specifically state in their laws things like marital rape, and the victim being intoxicated makes it rape, which isn't always terribly explicit in other countries jurisprudence.

In most cases a rising rate of recorded sexual assault is a good thing as it reflects rising reporting rates and improvements in law enforcement.

Moreover, though, some jurisdictions record crimes at the point of reporting, some at some point of being taken seriously enough to record, some at charges being laid and some at actual convictions. Some record repeated incidents as one crime. Others as a series of separate crimes.

10. Domen

Arwon, how about comparing official crime statistics within the same country but over time ???

11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

God hates Sweden.

12. Domen

Which one?

13. Arwon

Arwon

That's also potentially fraught, due to changes in societal attitudes, policy, and the law. You've always got to use precise judgement about why a change is occurring. An example is Australia's assault statistics which are almost certainly going up due to changed official and societal attitudes to domestic violence (and probably also to changed copper and public attitudes to random drunken fights and bashings).

A couple more things I've found related to Swedish statistics. They record crimes at the point of initial report, which is early. As I mentioned earlier they're a country which counts every incident separately. They also have a proactive onus on police and prosecutors in their legal system to register offenses as they are identified, whereas other places have negotiable charges and plea bargaining.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

15. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

That's a pretty poor graph. Not only are the columns nonsensical, but the values shown are pretty silly. Why 356 and 474 and not like 300, 350, 400?

I know it's a serious subject matter, but come on.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I agree, it seems to have been put together to make a point. I suppose the point leaves a mark with me, because I don't think the subject matter is discussed nearly enough. People are just ignoring it, imo. I'm not even sure if the numbers are accurate, but..

17. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

18. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Definitely Pong. 1975 or so. Played it endlessly. Only downside was that my younger brother was somehow always better than me (grrrr).

19. Domen

20. Domen