1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

My girlfriend's house settled. The foundation cracked. It was built to be attractive and trendy, not to last.

2. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Might take 30 years to get the apartments rented.

3. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

See, people tend to conclude from that that it's better not to have high expectations, but surely the better response is to simply not kill yourself when a game you were excited about failed to live up to your expectations? I mean, the "low expectations" option isn't so much the opposite as "setting yourself up for disappointment" as it is moving the disappointment backwards in time, so that you experience the presumed disappointment sooner rather than later. Surely it's better to be able to deal with life's many disappointments in a mature, reasonable, proportional and constructive manner, rather than just resigning yourself to being perpetually disappointed.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The word is cynicism. The "lesson" of the diagram is that it is better to be cynical always than disappointed sometimes. I disagree, myself.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Surely it's even better not to get so excited that you can't handle a minor setback?

Or perhaps it's better to get really really excited (at the same time maintaining a sense of detachment from your excitement), and then if the thing lives up to expectation you can be really really pleased ( while at the same time maintianing a sense of detachment from your pleasure), or if the thing fails to live up to expectation you can be really really disappointed (while at the same time maintaining a sense of detachment from your disappointment)?

Or maybe it's just better not to overthink these things. I don't know.

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

All I know is that the people who exhibit that sort of cynicism tend to be the most miserable bastards you'll ever meet :p

7. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Emperor

8. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton King, Warrior, Prophet, Magician, Lover

9. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Per miles driven would be useful. EDIT: Though I suppose not particularly useful, since I'd imagine that there are more accidents in urban areas (where people drive shorter distances) than in rural areas.

10. LamaGT

LamaGT Emperor

Also it needs to have a "per 100000 cars" limiter, since otherwise it could easily just be a chart of the most popular cars.

11. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Just checked the list of 20 most popular cars in the US. Why are there no European cars there? Not even Volkswagen.

12. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I assumed that "driver deaths per 1 million" meant "deaths per million drivers of that car".

13. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton King, Warrior, Prophet, Magician, Lover

I thought it meant deaths per car. Surely, that would be way more easy to calculate, since you need only the number of deaths while sitting in a certain car model and the number of that model issued. Whereas per driver you would need to determine how many people actually are driving a given car and that data will be hard to come by.

14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

European cars cost way more. Even Volkswagen.

15. Arwon

Arwon

So Toyotas must be pretty safe then.

16. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

They're slow and dull. That appeals to safe drivers.

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

They handle fairly dull but they not particularly slow.

18. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Emperor

Something I found on Reddit, perhaps on Data is Beautiful.

19. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I agree. I've liked my Toyotas for their reliability (though this seems to be slipping recently). But frankly they've all handled really badly, despite their ability to get you into trouble quite nippily.

Still, who wants a motor that gets you through a corner easily and predictably? That would be very dull.

Well, it wouldn't. It might be fun. But I think I've forgotten what its like not to go into a bend with some trepidation.

That's why Toyotas can seem slow, maybe. It's not possible to drive them safely at speed in anything other than a straight line.

20. Domen

Domen Misico dux Vandalorum

At least 700 million people worldwide - a minimum of 10% of entire population - would like to permanently emigrate from their countries:

Almost 4 out of 10 of all Sub-Saharan Africans would like to emigrate from Sub-Saharan Africa somewhere else:

"If everyone in the world could land in his country of choice tomorrow, Singapore's population would rise by 219%. Zimbabwe's would fall by 47%."

The top 20 destinations, according to this measure:

Sources:

"The World’s Potential Migrants
    Who They Are, Where They Want to Go, and Why It Matters":

http://www.imi.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/the-worlds-potential-migrants

"700 Million Worldwide Desire to Migrate Permanently
    U.S. tops desired destination countries":

http://www.gallup.com/poll/124028/700-million-worldwide-desire-migrate-permanently.aspx

"Africans in Calais: Protesting for the right to be taken in by their old colonial rulers":