Damage Incorporated's The Utopian Struggle Mod Release

DASGUTENBRAT

Chieftain
Damage Incorporated (DI) Civilization 6 Division is releasing its new upcoming mod The Utopian Struggle for Civilization 6.

The mod is out now on the steam workshop found under the most recent tab for anyone interested in playing. There is a version for those without the DLC and those who have all the DLC that Firaxis has released so far.

This mod of Civilization 6 was inspired by the NQ mod of Civilization 5 that we, in the civilization community, all know to have revitalized the game itself more than a few times. I have spent the past 6 plus months learning and creating a mod with the help of a group I built within a clan named Damage Incorporated. Our clan's Civilization 6 Division helped inspire me to test various changes to the base game and inspire new reworks of the many facets of Civ 6. The list of changes to base game include 5 major reworks:

The Naval Rework rebalancing naval unit strength, production, and coastal city management.

The Religion Rework rebalancing pantheons, beliefs, and the importance of faith / religion.

The Government Rework rebalancing policy cards, governments, and legacy/initial governement bonuses.

The Civ Leaders Rework rebalancing almost all of the civ leaders and bringing Scythia and Gilgamesh back into multiplayer games.

The Base Game Rework rebalancing tall vs wide city building strategies, early game mechanics, tech tree, civics tree, scouting, yield tiers, and so much more.

For all those curious, the full change log list can be found here for your view pleasure (be warned it is quite extensive):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NdVi6yP6cd0LWbL74EE1qOYPlYCZLq3534z8D4SxQ7E/edit?usp=sharing

Brothers and sisters of the Civilization Community, I am implore you to come play the new meta of Civilization as it evolves and grows to expand the game beyond the current meta, we have all grown so tired of. I hope this mod serves as a source of inspiration to show that Civilization 6 can become a game with a constantly evolving meta game and continue to hold our love for strategic conquest for the months to come.

Best Regards,

DASGUTENBRAT, Modder and Vice of the Civilization 6 Division, Damage Incorporated

Please Rate Them as you see fit. Here are the link for all 4 mods that went public:

DLC VERSION
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=955791302&searchtext=

NO DLCS VERSION
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=955935135&searchtext=

SPIDER ISLANDS MAP
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=944236707&searchtext=

WEST VS EAST MAP
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=942815

I'm trying it out now and it's very good — although there are a few components missing that would make it even better.

Specifically, it would be awesome if you could incorporate some of these modded features:
  • Better Trade Screen
  • More Lenses
  • Production Queue
  • Research Reminder
  • Unit Report Screen
Thanks!

The issue with including such features is two fold for me:

1. Most of those features exist already and are already coded on the steam workshop but I am wary of taking their code and using it for my own without their consent. I respecting the modding community and do not want to take credit and work away from those amazing few that coded such great UI features.

2. My lua coding is the weakest part of my coding knowledge. I am slowly learning how to code in lua to start creating UI adjustments but I would much rather leave it to the great UI modders that already exist and have done so much.

Also, many of us use CQUI that includes some of these mods already.

I tried the mod a little bit. I tried it using detailed map mod, CQUI, some other UI mods... I believe the improved distance between starting locations made me start alone on a decent (size) continent, so did Sumer South of me.

I didn't get fresh water start but you really don't need it anymore with this mod. I was about +15 housing with a 10 pop city. It felt like housing didn't mean anything at some point. For some reason, I didn't feel the need to settle as much as I use to. Probably because I often recruit a settler when I get to the housing soft cap which never happens with this mod.

The resources I have around me mostly give science, gold and culture (from resources and natural wonders). Not so much food and production, so I couldn't try to grow very tall and build many districts.

The things I love:
  • The improved religion. I rushed a religion to try it out. It is powerful. I picked the housing from shrine and temple because I didn't have much fresh water. This is the main reason I got some +15 housing when on pop 8-10. I wouldn't do it again I think. I mean you don't need this one with all the tools you have now with housing. Religion now feels like it gives you a ton of advantages. The bonuses are great and really allow to balance your civ (if you're lacking in one aspect of the game, religion can help).
  • Water access. I love the raiders (I killed so many warcarts with them on land and sea, they rock). I have to check what happened to Norway because now it seems they have no naval unit that's so unique!
  • Starting builder. A good way to boost cities right from the start. Some chop-chop and harvesting marsh and you get a city that will soon enough be useful.
  • I like the way trees (tech and civic) were reworked. I believe it is possible to beeline Knights. Maybe this would need a change. Overall I love the 3 tiers techs per Era in the science tree.
  • Scouting goes faster than ever. I didn't have to wait, after making my 1st settler, to find a nice spot, I had most of my continent discovered already. The promotion tree is very powerful.
I still wonder what to do with the population we get. Plus we don't seem to get population faster (except from the fact you improve your land faster and that we don't suffer housing soft cap no more). The yields per population have been greatly improved (I think doubled for science) so there is that.

I worry about balance a bit. With such an overwhelming mod, vanilla balance (which is not balanced in the 1st place) gets even less balanced. With the housing not being an issue anymore, stepwells are a lot less interesting. I guess this will come in a later stage.

I will not tell more as long as I didn't play more. I got to medieval era and it was pretty fast. I will try it in coop/hotseat to see how different paths lead. I'm still very curious about the possibilities.

There is so much to like about this mod, I especially agree with the author about there being too few viable beliefs/pantheons, the buffs to them make it a much more difficult decision. The alterations to the gold costs were much needed, maybe needs some balancing but vanilla way too expensive.

I really applaud this attempt at a league mod, but for single player there needs to be one minor adjustment before I can play it.

The science penalty of -3%/city is prohibitive, this puts a hard cap of around 34 cities. C'mon man, I like to dominate enormous maps. At the low end on smaller maps the exact same penalty could be expressed as a +6% cost to science/city, and could be progressive if needed to be such as +1% cost/city/4 cities (+1 for first 4, +2 each for next four, etc).

I am aware there needs to be some sort of restrictions on larger civilizations to reduce snowballing, but when I noticed a 4 city civ had twice the science output of my massive empire (with wonders and city states), I just had to disable this mod.

Best of luck with your league, Damage Incorporated.

I was worried there might be conflicts between this mod and CQUI, so I decided not to use them together. But I'll give that a try now and see how it goes.

1.Population rework has changed the scaling of the game quite a bit and I am still finding ways to rework tall vs wide strategy. I will try to address this in future DLC which I plan on working on these next few months.

2.The science penalty seems to work and not work at the same time coding the penalty is quite difficult and still trying to test some new code iterations of it in the future as well. You could just take out a piece of my code and play without the science penalties if you have the coding provess to make your own version (it is simpler than it seems) The file is called PerCityPenalty.sql that you want to be rid of.

3.Lastly the mod's greatest asset will be the civ community. I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR TESTERS FOR ALPHA VERSIONS AND PLAYERS TO GET INTO MODDED CIV 6. I am trying my best to advertise the mod and get it out to the public so I can start making some feedback documents for the community to get back to me on balancing and bugs. The mod is slowly approaching 1000 users, but the main issue is that modded civ 6 is not as big as it is in civ 5. I need the community to spawn interesting so i can crowdsource and keep remodeling the game with everyone feedback. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK I REALLY DO READ EVERY WORD AS GOSPEL!

4. I need testers in my community or if you simply just want to play multiplayer modded civ 6 games: (Look below)

If you are interested in joining our community, you simply have to make an account on our forums, fill out this application (https://forum.dmg-inc.com/topic/2-~how-to-join-damage-incorporated~/) and post it here (https/forum.dmg-inc.com/forum/7-initiate-applications/) . We at DI look forward to playing against those of you who choose to join us and hope you enjoy this mod.

If you have any further questions about us at DI or would simply like some help on the application you can add – DI – BDSally or – DI – Gammaray:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198071618501

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198051620650/

Top Bottom