Danish paper refused "offensive" Jesus cartoons

nonconformist said:
I know he translated them.
But I found them so mind numbingly unfunny, I assumed there was a double meaning.

Ahhhh.... OK.

IronDuck:
Then it's in Danish? Are these the cartoons referred to in the Opening Post, or did I miss something? :confused:

Dutch is spoken in Holland/The netherlands.
The paper is printed in Denmark...
Is that what you are missing?

Seriously - these cartoons are all ridiculously bad. I would've never published any of them, simply because they all fail to be funny and are largely lacking in substance. They look more like the result of a sixth-grade contest than any competition between even remotely legitimate or knowledgeable political commentators. This is seeming more and more like a publicity stunt run by a paper who couldn't find competent catoonists, and it angers me all the more to think that all this chaos could be little more than a cheap self-gratifying ego trip on the part of a handful of second-rate 'cartoonists' ...

Basically, agreed - mind-numbingly unfunny.

Do you have a link to the cartoons so that we could see them?

Everyone Hates Google. ;)

Notably, the only two that even come close to 'potentially barely amusing' territory happen to be the two that are lampooning the paper for doing what it did.

I was actually talking about the Jesus cartoons. I thought that was what you were talking about. :crazyeye:

Ah - apologies (I may have muddled the two together in my comments - I've yet to see any good ones on either topic). The only Jesus cartoon I've seen thus far was the one on page two of this thread. Based on the cartoons I've linked to though, I can't imagine this newspaper's submissions for any other editorial cartoon category were exactly of the highest calibre.

nonconformist said:
IronDuck:
Then it's in Danish? Are these the cartoons referred to in the Opening Post, or did I miss something? :confused:

Yes, they're the Danish cartoons that were referred to in the opening post :)

I think showing cartoons on Mohamed was completely bad idea, but I am dissapointed how others(EU,Arabic states) pressured Danish goverment to pressured news. So I am dissapointed with pressured apologies:(

Sparta said:
Ah - apologies (I may have muddled the two together in my comments - I've yet to see any good ones on either topic). The only Jesus cartoon I've seen thus far was the one on page two of this thread. Based on the cartoons I've linked to though, I can't imagine this newspaper's submissions for any other editorial cartoon category were exactly of the highest calibre.
No problem, I just saw that one. It really sucked though. It's not even mildly amusing. No wonder they didn't want to print it.

I don't think the Jesus illustrations are bad. They have a certain quiet poetry to them.

People are so keen on trashing something that's not quite to their taste.

This one to me seems similar to the Muhammad cartoons that muslims consider offensive:

It depicts the 'holy man' of the religion and sarcastically promotes the opposite image that the religion says is its purpose. Muhammad as a terrorist or Jesus as a Bush-like warmongerer - same concept, n'cest pas?

my gosh, those drawings are unfunny. how could they ever offend anyone? They are useless, but that guy will soon be the hero for some ME freedom fighters since he is the proof that this newspaper is biased ;)

The last picture of Jesus as GWB is not so good, since a cartoon should be short and make you laugh or smile. That one is a political statement that's quite true maybe.

However, I will forever burn in hell since I actually laughed about the suicide bomber - no more virgin cartoon. will I be killed now :eek:

Yep. After the other stuff caused by the muslim cartoons, I'm sure the danes where not going to risk ticking more people off.

Urederra said:
....the one of the prophet with the pig nose, for instance, wasn't published in that paper.

The one with the pig snoute wasn't a caricature and it wasn't depicting Muhammad or any other muslim. It wash a picture of a frenchman, Jacques Barrot who won the French Pig-Squealing Championship held in Tire-sur-Baise, France, in the foothills of the Pyrenees.

Abu Laban, the danish imam who drew international muslim attention to the caricatures, used this picture ar an "example of what cind of campaign against the prophet one could expect".

This claim is spurius. The original reason for publishing the Mohammed satire cartoons was the claim that journalists and artists where afriad to question Islamic thinking because of the rash of assassinations and death threats which journalists who questioned such subjects received. To my knowledge no death threats or assassinations have been received due to offensive depictions of Christ including such things as "paintings" of Christ made out of human excrement. The clear purpose of these satire cartoons was to challenge the death threats and to see if there really was self censorship due to fears of personal safety. Sadly, this has been proven to be correct.

Tycho Brahe said:
Abu Laban, the danish imam who drew international muslim attention to the caricatures, used this picture ar an "example of what cind of campaign against the prophet one could expect".

It is not surprising that the fanatics and neo-facissts (in this case Islamo-facists) would lie out of their asses.

Christoffer Zieler is a loser - a bad 'artist' who now wants to use bad PC to gain publicity. :mad:

Top Bottom