Comic Strip Thread

how-to-get-over-ex-v0-qi37kdzapadc1.jpeg

Oh, I loved those ‘grown-up’ comics with Calvin and Susie! The one where they're playing doctor and Susie starts actually kicking Calvin is great.

Only available as a pdf. :(

Attachments

• AlbuquerqueJournal_20240304_A010_14.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
I always lean towards European Comic vs American Comic. Always found the ones like Moebius, Manara, Boucq, Bilal etc, more interesting and way better artists than most (for not saying all) American artists. About japanese comics i never had the slightiest interest so cant say that much.

"Solitude of the depths", by François Boucq (in Spanish, couldnt find original French version or English traslation):

I always lean towards European Comic vs American Comic. Always found the ones like Moebius, Manara, Boucq, Bilal etc, more interesting and way better artists than most (for not saying all) American artists. About japanese comics i never had the slightiest interest so cant say that much.
Aren't those different types of comics, that is to say comics like Tintin and Asterix are different from comic 'strips' like Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes. Like you could put superhero comics in a different category.

Which is why I don't think they can be compared meaningfully, considering they have different formats and different purposes. Because then I like both Tintin and Calvin & Hobbes. But then one could say one prefers one type of comic over the other

Daily comics are mostly short, one day stories that are complete. Longer, multi-page ones serve a different purpose.

I agree it is a different genre from daily short strips, (which are a lot less popular in Europe than in America), but this one is also a pretty short story from a number of short stories to be published in monthly magazines (Metal Hurlant in France i think, Cimoc in Spain). Anyway I am talking purely from a technical pow, being some kind of 'artist' myself I find the drawing prowess of these European grandmasters absolutely humbling and unreachable. There are amazing artist too in American comics of course, I am thinking of big names like John Buscema or Jack Kirby for instance, but I would rather get drawing lessons from Moebius or Manara any day.

Denzel... :nono:

I can tell it's supposed to be some heartstrings-tugging sort of story, but Google Translate isn't helping

View attachment 686026
The translation is totally messed up, 'chirigotas' means 'jokes' here, so the translation would be " enduring the jokes of my acquaintances"

An explanation of the history i found which I mostly agree with (also autotranslated from Spanish, hoping a better one this time):
Very good story. I like that on the first page there is a monotony in the arrangement of the panels, and how the protagonist does a horrible act to break that monotony. As he says, he does his job like the best, receiving salary increases, the gratitude of his superiors and promotions. But that is not enough. He feels alone and is willing to change that. I think the work makes an allusion to man in modernity. He works to the point of exhaustion just to keep working, never to achieve personal satisfaction. He is surrounded by people but at the same time he feels alone, and even his way is different from the rest (obviously because of his working conditions, but also because of his alienation). Ultimately, this act of cruelty is to stop being alone, but that last vignette gives me two conclusions: The first is that the body is dead. It is a lifeless company, but the protagonist's soul does not have it either. It is a living being only because it can move and can think, but dead inside. The second is that the woman's belly is swollen, alluding to what the protagonist said at the beginning: "The man creates, the woman procreates." Beyond the fact that the woman is not really pregnant, that last image refers to this, and of course to the idea that the protagonist has of both sexes. Not only does he want to stop being alone, he wants to form a family, achieve "some" normality, even if that normality is artificial, it is "created." In the modern world, the normality of things is artificial.

Last edited:
I can tell it's supposed to be some heartstrings-tugging sort of story, but Google Translate isn't helping

View attachment 686026
glancing over it, not knowing spanish but knowing the style of these surreal-yet-inner-logical-comics, i don't think it's supposed to be "heartwarming" at all. maybe touching, but also thoroughly off-putting. like the character has a clear motivation and does things that are nonsense in our world, ending with that behavior doing something grisly.

and i love it.

i want an english translation so i can use it in my writing classes, i'm sure it has kind of the same feel as a lot of the other material i've presented there.

glancing over it, not knowing spanish but knowing the style of these surreal-yet-inner-logical-comics, i don't think it's supposed to be "heartwarming" at all. maybe touching, but also thoroughly off-putting. like the character has a clear motivation and does things that are nonsense in our world, ending with that behavior doing something grisly.

and i love it.

i want an english translation so i can use it in my writing classes, i'm sure it has kind of the same feel as a lot of the other material i've presented there.
You can find the whole work of these artists in this awesome old fashioned thingy called E-Mule. Sadly i dont think English versions are availabel as these authors are not very known in the anglosphere, You will find all them in French and Spanish mostly, some in Italian. From Boucq i would recommend you Les pionniers de l'aventure humaine (Pioneers Of The Human Adventure) since i think the above comic belongs to that series of short stories. You may also like any comic with a certain Argentine guy called Alejandro Jodorowski as writer. The guy did awesome dark and crazy comics along Moebius (The Incal) and Boucq (Moonface) among others.

Another interesting author is Enki Bilal. You can find his most famous work,The Nikopol Trilogy in English. The guy even made a movie based on this comic series: Immortel (ad vitam). A funny short story from his book Memories from Outer Space:
Spoiler :

pu_Memories_From_Outer_Space_013.jpg
pu_Memories_From_Outer_Space_014.jpg
pu_Memories_From_Outer_Space_015.jpg
pu_Memories_From_Outer_Space_016.jpg

Last edited:
glancing over it, not knowing spanish but knowing the style of these surreal-yet-inner-logical-comics, i don't think it's supposed to be "heartwarming" at all. maybe touching, but also thoroughly off-putting
It was definitely not the best phrasing, but 'heartwarming' is not what I meant, more that the text is supposed to elicit an emotional response

"Solitude of the depths", by François Boucq (in Spanish, couldnt find original French version or English traslation):
Brilliant and perverse.

Top Bottom