Design: Resources

Sureshot said:
working out usually means gaining weight, as working out turns fat into muscle usually (and muscle is heavier then fat, though more dense so more toned). if someone is tryin to lose weight you've got it all wrong, its better to just concern yourself with 'getting into shape' which is entirely different than weight loss (though getting into shape means more defined muscles, and muscles tend to use up fats faster turning it into energy). thats why i can't gain weight lol, im toned and have a poor appetite.
most people get screwed over if they try to lose weight because most diet things actually convince them to not workout (why workout when they're eating diet foods?!) and most diet foods are addictive and make you hungry (so you have the diet drink often for instance, then end up feeling hungry, and it happens often due to the addictiveness... so the drink is not directly to blame, but it causes factors defeating dieting purposes).
the best way is just to be active and practise exercises because they'll give you more energy, not because you expect to lose weight quickly.

Just as a side note, I picked up 25 lbs ( 11 - 12 kgs for others) over frosh year and decided to lose it. Just hauled myself back into shape with 10 mi runs, just to restart the metabolism. I've dropped about 30 now, so I've cut it down to 5 mi so I have more time to do other stuff (like play CIV).

Sureshot said:
but then itd have to be good for your health and happiness lol
i never saw a sick or unhappy smoking hobbit (thats the real reason bilbo lived so long)

That and possession of the ONE ring. After he lost that he aged rapidly.
-Qes

ya lol, i know more of tolkien then you ever will!!! EVER!!! lmao (though, note: bilbo felt "spread thin like butter over too much bread" while he still had the ring, and you dont hear of him aging until he leaves his habitat, whos to say he wasn't just going into pipeweed withdrawl?!?!)

but in general hobbits lived to ripe old ages, bilbos 111th birthday was considered fairly old, but not unheard of, and a 20-40 year old hobbit was near the equivalent of a teenager.

so, they lived longer, they were a big exporter of pipeweed, they were a happy people, and liked to laugh.

Sureshot said:
so, they lived longer, they were a big exporter of pipeweed, they were a happy people, and liked to laugh.

I'll bet my lucky silver sporks that they were a "very" happy people

after much pondering about how to make forts used by the AI and many ideas from others, i found a simple fix that ive tested that works out nicely.

Make Sentry Towers connectable with Fort improvements. Then simply make a Fort on a Sentry tower yield +1 :hammers: and +1 :commerce: and the AI will build them and will protect them. I'd recommend also giving some bonus for having one hooked up, like +1/2 xp for scouts built, or a free sentry promotion for scouts built.

Sureshot said:
ya lol, i know more of tolkien then you ever will!!! EVER!!! lmao (though, note: bilbo felt "spread thin like butter over too much bread" while he still had the ring, and you dont hear of him aging until he leaves his habitat, whos to say he wasn't just going into pipeweed withdrawl?!?!)

but in general hobbits lived to ripe old ages, bilbos 111th birthday was considered fairly old, but not unheard of, and a 20-40 year old hobbit was near the equivalent of a teenager.

Ha, Id like to see your knowledge put up against that of my Fiancee's. She knows more than anyone should have a right to know about JRRT and the Lord of the Rings. Truly mindboggeling. Plus, if you do know more, i get to tease her, if you knew less, Id tease you. I see this as win-win.
-Qes

Hmm... how about a Dungeon Entrance resource? It can be explored by heroes and recon types, and it provides (randomly) either a fat gold bonus, a new technology, or a piece of equipment (when equipment is implemented, that is).

Unfortunately, the moment you begin exploring a Dungeon, monsters or barbs will spawn in the immediate vicinity, typically forcing your explorer to fight them before finishing his adventure.

An explored Dungeon should provide some minimal bonus... +2 Commerce, perhaps, as the cleared-out space is useful for building and working in (akin to the Ancient Temple, which I would also like to see work this way).

QES said:
Ha, Id like to see your knowledge put up against that of my Fiancee's. She knows more than anyone should have a right to know about JRRT and the Lord of the Rings. Truly mindboggeling. Plus, if you do know more, i get to tease her, if you knew less, Id tease you. I see this as win-win.
-Qes
I've read everything of Tolkien I could find (not just related to LotR) and professional essays by those who know much as well. I've had friends who knew more of Tolkien than I did (and appreciated their views on the subject), but I can't say I've known anyone who's taken to heart all that he wrote as much as me.

So I can't say I'd win a trivia (I've got a poor memory), but if you find someone who does know more than me about Tolkien I'd either be impressed by their strong moral understanding or shocked by their ability to read greatness and not soak it in.

Sureshot said:
I've read everything of Tolkien I could find (not just related to LotR) and professional essays by those who know much as well. I've had friends who knew more of Tolkien than I did (and appreciated their views on the subject), but I can't say I've known anyone who's taken to heart all that he wrote as much as me.

So I can't say I'd win a trivia (I've got a poor memory), but if you find someone who does know more than me about Tolkien I'd either be impressed by their strong moral understanding or shocked by their ability to read greatness and not soak it in.

Well, i cannot say just how FAR she's read, but its more than anyone I know. Shes read tons of Essays, and is a JRRT uberfan. The Lord of the Rings is of course her favorite work, but she exalts all his goodies. In general she loves books, she reads...everything. She consumes books like cookie monster consumed cookies (past tense, because now he preaches moderation).

Shes able to read and NOT soak in, but with the torch she carries for the author, I wouldnt say that he's of this catagory. I'm a C.S. Lewis man myself (If were sticking with their circle of people). The recent films nearly made me cry for their lack of vision and complexity.

Still, she would want me to say that "she doesnt know it all", but clearly I've a hard time finding an example of what she wouldnt know.
-Qes

EDIT: Fixed "Exalts" as found by Sureshot. (My posts need changelogs now)

exhaults.. thats like exult, exalt, and exhaust all in one :D

she exhausts all his works (i.e. reads them all til there's nothing left to read)
she exalts all his works (i.e. praises it often)
she exults all his works (i.e. experiences great joy in his works)

heh

Sureshot said:
exhaults.. thats like exult, exalt, and exhaust all in one :D

she exhausts all his works (i.e. reads them all til there's nothing left to read)
she exalts all his works (i.e. praises it often)
she exults all his works (i.e. experiences great joy in his works)

heh

So, I have failed to make it clear that I type quickly and without forethought or even the slightest bit of editing. Alas, what to do.
-Qes

i think errors hint at thoughts, so i dont consider your 'error' to be an error, so much as it displays the complex nature of the thought you had concerning her (i.e. that she does more than exalts, that she in fact, exalts, exults, and exhausts his works heh)

Sureshot said:
i think errors hint at thoughts, so i dont consider your 'error' to be an error, so much as it displays the complex nature of the thought you had concerning her (i.e. that she does more than exalts, that she in fact, exalts, exults, and exhausts his works heh)
:lol: You may be on to something. I hadn't thought about it like that, and this conclusion IS infact fairly accurate as to her reading habits. I am going to adopt this line of thinking for others' errors and see what i come up with. Truly entertaining.
-Qes

Top Bottom