1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Development] Alternative Map during 1.17

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Steb

Steb King

Nice to see some of my suggestions being adopted. Did you consciously decide to keep the Mexico incense/copal? Personally I’d remove it.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

I've kept it for now, but it was more a status quo decision than a choice either way.

ozqar and Crimean Lord like this.
  3. stormogulen

stormogulen Chieftain

Nice, maybe the island should be represented as an atoll with rainforest vegetation?

Leoreth likes this.
  4. Leoreth

The Maldives are not an atoll though? Not sure about the most appropriate vegetation.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  5. stormogulen

stormogulen Chieftain

6. Hightower

Hightower Prince

I think the lower Nile delta was pretty developed in ancient times. Some of the more significant ancient Egyptian cities were there, such as Buto, Sais, Busiris, Sebennitis, Tanis and Avaris, and was clearly densely populated based on the number of nomes present there. At most there should be one marsh tile there, but I would argue for all flood plains.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Ancient_Egypt_map-hiero.svg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nome_(Egypt)#/media/File:Lower_Egypt_Nomes_01.png

7. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

Hello everyone, One of my friend wants to edit the city names to the Alternative bigger map (through Git, map branch). He doesn't have an account here, so he ask me for help. Should he enter every city name by himself in the Citynamemanager.py file. Or is there some way more simple and timesaving?

Crimean Lord likes this.
  8. Leoreth

The map branch removed the map inside the CityNameManager.py file anyway, and it can instead be found on Maps/Cities.csv if I recall correctly.

That said, I prefer it when people open the map itself in world builder, put signs on the map with city names, and then upload a screenshot and the world builder save.

soul-breathing and Crimean Lord like this.
  9. arythm1a

arythm1a Chieftain

I'm sorry, but the new position for the Nile looks really off to me. Is there a specific gameplay advantage to having it further west?

10. Hightower

Hightower Prince

One thing that might improve it would be to have another eastern branch of the Nile Delta start one tile further south, so the entire delta is four tiles instead of three. This matches up with the delta starting right at Memphis (where Egypt spawns) and also puts the eastern edge of the delta closer to Sinai by a tile.

I think the motivation for moving the Nile slightly west was to avoid having the possibility of a city that is both on the Nile and a port on the Red Sea. I think that's a worthwhile reason for the current course, which also doesn't really look off to me other than my objection above that the delta shouldn't have marsh tiles and maybe adding another branch as noted here. The tile just to the east of the eastern branch would then be floodplain/desert, and I think the two Marsh tiles could be floodplain/plains.

Attached Files:

11. arythm1a

arythm1a Chieftain

Cant Suez fill that role? Off the top of my head I don't really think of the Egyptians (or anyone who might conquer the area) as seafarers, at least not in that direction

12. Hightower

Hightower Prince

Not sure I follow this comment. Yes, the Suez Canal area should be the only spot where you could connect the Red Sea to another watercourse. But if anything that cuts in favor of the western version of the Nile, so the Nile and the Red Sea are two tiles apart. If the Nile were only one tile west of the Red Sea, Thebes or Akhetaten being placed, as in reality, on the eastern side of the river would also result in the city being coastal, which is obviously a bad result.

arythm1a likes this.
  13. arythm1a

arythm1a Chieftain

I'm sorry, I read your first message too quickly - I interpreted as that we wanted players to be able to settle a city on the Red Sea as well, which was what I was questioning. I also did not follow my comment, hehe.

14. Leoreth

New update:
    - added Cape at Cabo Correntes
    - moved Danube and Dniepr deltas
    - added a script to detect super city sites

Merged a pull request by merijn_v1: tropical marsh variant

Krieger-FS, trevor, Publicola and 2 others like this.
  15. Leoreth

@merijn_v1 : no obligation at all, but if you have time can you look into the marsh terrain to see what causes its issues with the uneven transition into water when placed on a coast? I hope you know what I mean, in many cases we couldn't place marsh terrain and only the feature because it would result in a graphical glitch otherwise.

I have seen similar issues when trying to work with different textures for Arctic Coast, and I think it might be related to the layer order or texture blend values.

Edit: I actually just noticed that Marsh also sometimes has weird transition glitches with other land terrains.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Publicola and 1SDAN like this.
  16. Leoreth

New update:
    - applied marsh varieties (new and existing) across the map
    - added another emerald resource in Colombia

Crimean Lord and Krieger-FS like this.
  17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Sure. I believe I have seen such glitches before somewhere. IIRC they are indeed connected to layers. I will investigate.

I saw your comment on Github and I'm glad that the marsh feature varieties also work for you. I think I found the reason why it doesn't work properly for marshes but works properly for forests. I will test if my finding is correct or not soon.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  18. Leoreth

Oh great! I'd still love to see this fixed but I consider it a minor hassle at this point.

By the way, I placed the marsh varieties on my best interpretation of what biomes they represent. Open to further feedback here. Right now my rationale was:
    - variety 0 (default): warm but not tropical regions
    - variety 1 (grasses?): cold regions, e.g. Siberia and Canada
    - variety 2 (reeds): temperate/subtropical regions, especially river deltas, e.g. Nile delta, Europe, Danube, also interspersed with variety 1 in its huge clusters
    - variety 3 (palm trees): tropical regions, inbetween jungle and rainforest, e.g. Amazonia, Congo, Bengal, Indochina, Indonesia

I can also upload some screenshots later.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Krieger-FS, ozqar and Crimean Lord like this.
  19. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I managed to fix both problems. :woohoo:

The variety placing issue was that the game didn't redraw the feature piece when the <TileArtType> tag is set to TILE_ART_TYPE_NONE. I changed it so that it is forced to redraw if you change the variety with setFeatureType().

The marsh terrain problem wasn't connected to the layers, but to the texture file. It used the same texture file as the coast, which has has a different alpha layer than the land tile texture. I copied the grassland texture and recolored it. I used the color picker tool to get the right shade of blue. It appears very slightly lighter to me, but the difference is negligable. The top part is the old marsh texture and the bottom part the new. I temporarily gave the semidesert the new texture so I could compare the colors. The new texture interacts with other textures like normal, as you can see in the bottom part of the blob.

Spoiler :

Saidly, it is not all glory. While it does interact with the surrounding area like other textures, I think it is too much presence. I will see if I can do something about it.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

trevor, Crimean Lord and 1SDAN like this.
  20. Leoreth

Yeah, I agree. Can't you just copy the coast texture without the alpha layer?