Diplomacy Post March-Patch

ras9929

Chieftain
Dunno if anyone else has seen this.
Neighbors are Babylon and Mongolia
Immediately I covet Babylon's lands so when offered a DoF with Mongolia, I jump on it.
I kill Babylon.
DoF expires with Mongolia
Mongolia denounces my warmongering ways next turn
Mongolia DoWs me the following turn

I was prepared after the denounce as I seem to have gold coming out of every orifice post-patch but WOW.

This is a strategy changer in my mind

Chances are Mongolia would have turned hostile pre patch; just taken longer.

You've done things the AI don't like:
Declare war on Babylon. Even more so since Mongolia didn't ask you to attack them.

Your number of cities have increased as a result of that war; so Mongolia as your neighbor now probably covets your lands.

And you wiped out a civ.

Pre patch, having declarations of friendship didn't stop denouncements. In fact it was fairly common late in the game to meet the other landmass and find duel DOF & denouncements.

the ai seems to be a bit more aggressive post patch, I noticed that most conflicts pre patch were either started by me or a runaway ai, they would rarely try to attack someone on a fairly even footing with them.
also I noticed that once they get their objective they can try to end the war, recently wu DOW me and throws her whole army at my city that borders her empire, has heavy losses but takes the city. normally I would expect her to think that she has the upper hand and kill her whole army trying to take the next city leaving me to walk through an empty empire mopping up but she holds a cho-ko-nu (sp) in the city and asks for peace.

the ai seems to be a bit more aggressive post patch, I noticed that most conflicts pre patch were either started by me or a runaway ai, they would rarely try to attack someone on a fairly even footing with them.
also I noticed that once they get their objective they can try to end the war, recently wu DOW me and throws her whole army at my city that borders her empire, has heavy losses but takes the city. normally I would expect her to think that she has the upper hand and kill her whole army trying to take the next city leaving me to walk through an empty empire mopping up but she holds a cho-ko-nu (sp) in the city and asks for peace.

that's a bit nicer, so let's hope that the AI does the same when we do that to them (border wars for cities then peace)

I just finished my first game post-patch (Siam/space/immortal) and my impression of AI diplo was that they were still pretty schizophrenic but the new 50 turns DoF/denouncement expiration mechanic is much better.

They are less likely to dogpile but denouncements still come out of the blue from "friends" with no apparent reason. It is good though to see the changing opinions--Babylon went slowly but surely from hostile to best friends over the course of the game.

I did find they were more passive-agressive now, in that they will attack your CS alllies mercilessly instead of you yourself, egging you into war.

And with the huge nerf to TP income, you can't buy up all the CSs like you could before and you are pretty much forced to denounce and DoW to preserve what is now a very costly investment.

Also peace offers are more reasonable now; after you take 2 cities, the AI no longer asks you for all your gold, resources and cities but your capital; instead they're more eager to buy you off and have a better sense of their situation.

All in all it's much better, but far from perfect.

Post patch: 100 turns into a game my 4 AI neighbors (two of which were friendly, two neutral) denounce me on the same turn. Next turn 2 declare war. :hmm:

Alternate experience: kept a huge gold stockpile, and nobody declared war on me, which they definitely would have before the patch. :)

Top Bottom