DipNES04 - Uncertain Times

Taking England. I think I'm going to need the 1-day deadline extension (ABNW is heating up).

I'd play for sure. Are all nations with colors on that map playable, including Greece and Sweden-Norway?

Yes they are. Thats 2 down, 4-5 more and I'll start a thread. Sorry for hijacking yours LF ;).

Provisional extra rules I've been toying with
Canals: If you control the land territory of a canal, fleets you control (and those of players you specify in your order set) may move from one of the sea territories to the other without passing through the landtile. The three canals are:
Han (Hanover) connecting Heg (Helgoland) with Wbs (western baltic sea)
Egy (Egypt) connecting Red (Red Sea) with Eas (Eastern Med)
Con (Constantinople) connecting Aeg (Aegean) with Bla (Black Sea)

Crossings: Armies can attempt to move from one land territory of the crossing to the other unless there is an enemy fleet in the crossings controling water territory. The crossings are:
Tan (Tangiers) to And (Andulsia) controlled by Sog (Strait of Gibraltar)
Sic (Sicily) to Nap (Naples) controlled by Tys (Tyrrhenian Sea)
Ire (Ireland) to Liv (liverpool) controlled by Ise (Irish Sea)

Oceans:
Fleets can avoid the med via travelling the Atlantic and Indian oceans, moving from one box to the other in each turn. Unlike normal sea tiles, naval fleet cannot engage each other and can share oceans tiles with other fleets including enemy ones. Only one fleet can move back into a sea at one time, though it can be supported by other fleets remaining in the adjacent ocean tile. Armies can be convoyed by fleets in oceans (I'll be impressed if someone manageds to assemble the minimum of 5 fleets need :lol: )

Public Alliances and Alliance Victories: To win an allied victory (as opposed to domination where you crush everyone else) an alliance must have been publicly declared 2 turns before victory is achieved. A declared alliance can only contain two great powers (nations with 4 or more supply centres), though it may have any number of powers with 3 or less supply centres. Nations cannot rejoin public alliances if they have been betrayed by one of the great powers in the alliance (for example, if in an alliance of Germany and France, France sneak attacks Germany then Germany cannot join any publicly declared alliance with France in it unless France has 3 or less supply centres and someone else it that allaince has 4 or more (and thus France obviously now a client state ;)).

Naturally you can do secret deals and back-biting to your hearts content ;), but only public alliances can win the game.

Oh. I was wondering about the off-board oceans. They seemed like pointless bottlenecks.

Also, are you going to allow players to determine their own starting units, or will you have those preset?

Last, I don't mind my thread being hijacked. Gives it more airtime. :p

Oh. I was wondering about the off-board oceans. They seemed like pointless bottlenecks.
Also, are you going to allow players to determine their own starting units, or will you have those preset?

Well ocean combat is quite silly, nearly every major sea battle has taken place within sight of land. Also thinking about it I'm going to change the map to allow access to Palestine from the Red sea.

Yep players will determine their own starting units and locations though everyone will have to take at least 1 army and at least 1 navy. The victory limit is increased to 28 cores as well.

UPDATE 1 - OPENING MOVES
Spring 1914 Movement

"Hello, and welcome to ENN, the one and only European News Network, broadcasting live from Washington, D.C. This is your host, Kevin Beasley, here with co-host Sara Jansen."

"Our top story: criminologists have just made a major breakthrough. They have determined that prisons 'breed...an atmosphere of criminality.' Their major conclusion: that less prisons will reduce crime. This groundbreaking new paper is bound to have huge repercussions in life everywhere on Earth."

"Well, that's a liberal slant for you, isn't it?"

"As expected from the great scientists of Europe."

"In other news, Prime Minister germanicus12 has recently stepped down from his post, although that's a bit of a euphemism. As you know, while in office, the country was plagued with shortages of everything. It seems as if nothing got done under him. Facing heavy criticism from most of the country, calling him the 'Do-Nothing PM', one day, he just up and left, walking away without a word."

"And Scotland Yard can't find him?"

"It seems as if he planned it out very well. The one action he accomplished in office."

"Anyway, it seems as if a man named qoou has been chosen to take his place. Already he seems to be on top of his game."

"Yes, yes, he has to be, because all the other powers have already mobilized their forces for no apparent reason."

"Yes, although there have been no major clashes as of yet, although there has been friction between Russian and Turkish fleets over the Black Sea."

"I wonder how Czar Warhead and Sultan Supermath feel about this."

"I wonder how they feel about the Republic of France being completely uprooted and the president murdered, replaced with a First Consul with the very hard to pronounce name of Thlayli."

"Oh well."

ORDERS
Austria: A vie -> gal
Austria: F tri Holds
Austria: A bud -> ser
England: F lon -> wal
England: A lvp -> yor
England: F edi -> nth
France: A par -> bur
France: A mar Supports A par -> bur
France: F bre -> eng
Germany: A mun -> sil
Germany: F kie -> hol
Germany: A ber -> pru
Italy: A ven -> tyr
Italy: A rom -> tus
Italy: F nap -> tys
Norway: F swe -> bot
Norway: A nwy Holds
Norway: F den Holds
Russia: A war Holds
Russia: F stp/nc Holds
Russia: F sev -> bla
Russia: A mos -> ukr
Spain: F por -> mao
Spain: A mad -> nav
Spain: A cor -> por
Turkey: A smy -> con
Turkey: A con -> bul
Turkey: F ank -> bla

MOVEMENTS
Spoiler :

RESULTS
Spoiler :

Next Orders Due: Monday, June 16, at 10:00 PM PST.

Yeeeaahhh, after just this first turn I've decided Diplomacy is just not my game. Already I'm hopelessly confused and I'm also not good at fixed areas; I prefer being able to create more normal boundaries carved out by peaceful expansion and the might of armies. Next!

Well I know I'm next up but I should pass it on as I can't be relied on for the next to weeks. However I can send orders for this turn pending diplomatic relations.

I was bored and decided to make a contribution....

BEHOLD!!! The map of Europe, Spring 1914

Made with jDip and Paint.

For any screwups you may blame author.

Hey, that's cool, Sparrow. A map of influence, is it? I might put that up with the updates if I'm bored enough.

@mythmonster2: You shouldn't give up just because things are down! Come on!

Well, human-slaughter, thanks for letting us know that you'll be out of town. I'll see if anyone else wants to try (Izipo? Niklas?)

No, that's not the reason. It's just I prefer the other types of NESs to this.

No, that's not the reason. It's just I prefer the other types of NESs to this.

This isn't a NES per se; it's a board game, although board game NESes were certainly played.

Although, you certainly are free to go. Now I'll need to recruit someone.

Time time time. I have a work deadline on the 26th, after that I'll gladly play any games. But before that I couldn't really commit to the diplomacy necessary to get out of the hole Austria's in. ;)

Actually, I'm probably going to have to drop as well. I just don't really have time, and I'm going to be leaving within the week anyway.

Since people leaving we need to balnce a bit. I'm joining.

As Austria?

I can join as Turkey, picking up after Supermath. Much less immediate diplomatic action needed. ;)

Oh, you guys.

All right.

Niklas, you're tapped for Turkey. Get caught up on diplomacy.
Sparrow55, you're tapped for Austria. Get caught up on diplomacy.

I'll give you guys 48 hours. Orders are due on June 19.

Dropping out due to time constraints (check ABNW thread) :(.

Whoah, is England cursed or something? This is getting ridiculous! Diplomacy should be over, why aren't people just sending in simple, 3-line orders?

Top Bottom