DMI VI - The Mearas

Ok, I just realized I am UP, so I got it (Sorry, I was kind of focused on a Warlords problem I have, related to DMVII).

Looking at the save, my goals for the turnset are pretty obvious (get the iron, etc.). We also obviously need more siege, so I will focus on that. I will play during the weekend, report probably sunday.

Played 10 turns. I am starting to worry about the PA. Brennus is back to "We're doing fine on our own", which does not sound good. I made a PA once in a SP game (ironically, with Zara) I don't remember what was he saying before the red became white. What I do remember is that he was not the second in score as is Brennus now, I don't know if "doing fine" has anything to do with it.

On with the report. It took me a lot of time to assess the situation before pressing enter. I did not see much to worry from Zara's army, but when I finally pressed enter I received this blow:

The Frigate sank one of our galleons; fortunately, IIRC, it carried no troops. From this point on I was very careful with our galleons, approaching from the Chinese and Carthaginian coasts.

The Apostolic Palace puts up a vote to stop the war against Zara, which was worrisome. But the result, as well as the votes, was surprising:

So Zara wants to be at war? Amazing.

The siege of iron city could take forever:

So when Zara was just one turn from researching Mil Trad, I decided to attack. I sent some calvary first, and they withdrew with 50 something % odds. Then the infantry came and we unfortunately lost one of them in a better than 70% odds battle. :mad:

I don't like having nothing for the workers to do, so I did this deal with Qin:

And later refused this one:

Then some VERY GOOD news:

We converted immediately for the much wanted diplo bonus. But Brennus keeps thinking he is fine on his own:

The Frigate came back and, since it was still wounded, I decided to take it out with the sacrifice of one or two galleons. In the end we lost 3 of them :mad:, but sank the soab.

Other news:

An offer from Qin, accepted of course:

And I also burned our GMerchant for some cash:

We still do not control the iron, because of Zara's capital culture, but the city is about to fall. There are some trebs arriving, support from 2 airships, and lots of infantry.

Save is attached. I am already late for Christmas dinner at my mom's. :eek:

Merry Christmas everybody! have fun!

Umm its 05:15 Xmas morning ....

Must be time for the kids to get up.

:xmassign: everyone. !!!

Ralph

Well, as I play always with the PA option on in my SP games I'm somewhat more experienced in that field. A PA choice is not only affected by diplomacy but also by power ratings. The AI will not ally with the human if the human is the most powerful Civ (the text should read "You've grown too powerful for us" though). And it will seldom ally if itself is the most powerful Civ (I had a PA with Zara where he was by far most powerful and 5 times as powerful than me, but that was an OCC 2 days ago). We can only play it out and see how it goes (no cheesy tactics like unit gifting in this game !), maybe Hannibal is an option too later on.

Imhotep

Well, Wednesday is well over... :rolleyes: But I understand everyone is busy with holidays and New Year's preparations. I'll give njorls another 24 hours from this post on, if we hear nothing, he is skipped.

The Roster

Imhotep >>
Meiz >>
Ralph "RJ" Jackson >>
Lucky >> JUST PLAYED
njorls >> UP NOW (skipped after 24)
Winth >> ON DECK
pholkhero >>

Sorry, got too busy to play yesterday.

I settled a Great General in Helm's Deep

AP pact to stop trading with Mansa, I voted yes, we were at war

Aksum fell

It had a lot of goodies inside

We got a great artist, suggest saving for a golden age

"Iron helps us play!" -- Todd Flanders

Lalibela fell

Pentagon finished

Research was finish Biology, then Combustion which was :smoke:, then finish Fascism, then Artillery.

Combustion was :smoke: since I did it for transports but we don't have oil. There's none on the map. Sorry about that, I guess I'm not used to no oil maps :)

I split our army into 2 groups, the main force is heading for Zara's capital and a smaller force is mopping up in the northwest.

Attachments

• Thÿoden King AD-1800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    358.5 KB · Views: 82
Some thoughts:
Standard Ethanol would be great if we got a great scientist. To the point of this should be a top priority. Not sure if it violates the spirit of our variant though. It would give us a monopoly on tanks, transports and planes. Maybe using a golden age for a change to caste system after the war will get us a GS.

I have no idea if we're making good progress towards getting a PA with Brennus.

Good turnset. I wonder when I will have an occassion for a successful war. Really, last times my war efforts are pitiful, either because of that my rival vassals to somebody else, or I do something stupid.

I really hate Pangaea maps in that regard, because it is when any dogpile leaves me with pants down. :(

Well, count this as a "got it". I'll put my hands on it soon.

I will play tomorrow, this is, at the morning in Poland (which will be in about 8 hours). Sorry, but there are the preparations, nerves, the fact that I got limited from the Civ4 computer. But I will do my best to do this tomorrow morning or afternoon!

This of course doesn't mean that I will play after the NEXT 24 hours. I am too tired to confuse myself with the time difference in Poland to the other countries. ;P

I start by slowly examining the situation. Some of us want Standard Ethanol. I realized that after some minutes, so I putted some beakers on Rocketry, then switched to Plastics when realized I should do so. Rocketry was supposed to help us if we want a Space Race way. We didn't define how are we going to fare to win...

Now, I'm continuing our invasion on Ethiopia as we speak. I send some more reinforcements just for kicks, because the war is already won, I suppose. Brennus and Zara prepared a peace treaty - damn it! Our "sharing war" progress doesn't count now, I suppose. :mad:

We got a Great Artist in Edoras. That's, um... useful. :mischief: Still, we can use him to secure a larger chunk of our new possessings! I let you free to do what you want with this guy.

Ah, and the conquered cities didn't have any nice buildings. Just standard. They have Courthouses and Jails, and that's good at last...

The last Zara's city is on the way. He would love to capitulate, but why should I accept? His last city will just overlap with our last prize! :p

Oh, and we got a nice Random Event that gave us +3 to relations with Brennus. It will stone us at good relations with him even more... But, he still won't sign a pact ;(

I confess I didn't play 10 turns. I played 10 and half a turn. Because I didn't want to miss the opportunity to scratch Ethiopia from the game! :lol: And, indeed, the city fell the next turn. :) I decided to keep it. Why not? It has enough production to build some Harbors and Custom Houses, plus it will defend us from the Mayan culture once we build up.

Save is below. Watch out, pholk - you have to deal with the fearsome Mansa Musa and his powerful three cities! :crazyeye: :lol: Ah, and BTW, I was tempted to put some jokes into the game. :p Watch out for them.

Sorry for being low on screens, but it wasn't very bountiful turnset, and I'm too lazy to put trivial things, like a crappy random event.

Last minute: The save would be below, if it weren't for the fact it won't let me UPLOAD the hell! I will fight with it a bit, now you have only a report. Sorry.

EDIT: I am forced to use an alternate source of this flippin' file: http://rapidshare.com/files/80183910/Th__729_oden_King_AD-1820.CivBeyondSwordSave.html

I uploaded the save in case people don't want to jump through Rapidshare's hoops.

I don't think infantry is a good build in the newly conquered cities, we need courthouses ASAP. God maintenance is so high, maybe forbidden palace will help.

Attachments

• Thÿoden King AD-1820.CivBeyondSwordSave
    367.5 KB · Views: 76
@njorls:

You're right. Theatres would be better builds. The next player should work on getting us a Great Scientist for Standard Ethanol.

The Roster

Imhotep >> ON DECK
Meiz >>
Ralph "RJ" Jackson >>
Lucky >>
njorls >>
Winth >> JUST PLAYED
pholkhero >> UP NOW

Imhotep

all ~ my wireless router ist kaput ~ my son busted it right out of the USB port :(

won't be online until later today for longer -- will post more then

Well, our game is progressing nicely. Unfortunately we have no PA yet, but I have at least a new plan how to get one :D .

I checked the Diplo ratings. We are at +24 with Brennus and at +5 with Hannibal. Hannibal is only "pleased" as we are heathen to him. Time to change that.

Revolted to Free Religion. This did wonders with our WW, I could dial back luxuries to 0%. Of course we now have "only" +17 with Brennus, but that makes no difference. The decisive point here is military. I've been building zero troops during this set, with the result that Brennus is now most powerful by a slight margin. Of course he won't sign a PA with us as either we or he will be the most powerful Civ. Hannibal instead is the target. If we can keep Brennus the top guy in power and maintain friendly relations to Hannibal this should work !

Of couerse building no military didn't mean we were calm on that front. The remainder of Mansa... Éothain had the honour to capture the 1st city. The guy is just without chance against our Artillery + Marines.

Built Fangorn Forest. National Park !

The power graph:

The stats:

We have played a damn fine game diplomatically (and in all other areas too !) which results in the fact that every AI is friendly to us. We could even try Qin for the PA ! Right now Han and Qin don't want to becvause we haven't had a DP or war long enough, but that will change. I've a very good feeling we'll win this as intended...

Imhotep

P.S.: I went for Radio after Plastics, after that I chose Flight (1 turn left). Edoras is building the 3 Gorges Dam, whereas Westfold is workling on Cristo redentor and Eastfold on Eiffel Tower. With our tech lead we should get all of these.

PHOLKHERO is UP !

Spoiler The Log :
Reminder: On Turn 290, stop playing
Addis Ababa begins: Theatre (51 turns)
Adulis begins: Courthouse (121 turns)
Frigate promoted: Combat I
Edoras finishes: Factory
Helm's Deep finishes: Industrial Park
Westmark finishes: Ironclad
Trihyrne's borders expand
Southfold finishes: Customs House
Aksum's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 281/500 (1822 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:39:47]
Edoras begins: Jail (2 turns)
Helm's Deep begins: Intelligence Agency (2 turns)
Southfold begins: University (10 turns)
Ironclad promoted: Combat I
Infantry promoted: Combat III
Infantry promoted: City Garrison I
Infantry promoted: Combat I

IBT:
State Religion Change: Théoden King(Rohan) from 'Hinduism' to 'no State Religion'
Attitude Change: Hannibal(Carthage) towards Brennus(Celtia), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Hannibal(Carthage) towards Pacal II(Maya), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
Civics Change: Théoden King(Rohan) from 'Organized Religion' to 'Free Religion'

Turn 282/500 (1824 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:43:23]
Debre Berhan begins: Theatre (5 turns)
Eastfold grows: 20
Dunharrow finishes: Jail
A Town was built near Methedras
Westfold finishes: Public Transportation
Gondar finishes: Granary
A Village was built near Aksum
Lalibela finishes: Granary

IBT:

Turn 283/500 (1826 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:46:34]
Dunharrow begins: Factory (6 turns)
Westfold begins: Market (2 turns)
Gondar begins: Courthouse (8 turns)
Lalibela begins: Forge (7 turns)
Tech learned: Plastics
Edoras finishes: Jail
Helm's Deep finishes: Intelligence Agency
Aldburg finishes: Factory
A Town was built near Westmark
Westfold finishes: Market
A Hamlet was built near Dunburg

IBT:
Civics Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) from 'Mercantilism' to 'Free Market'

Turn 284/500 (1828 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:48:50]
Research begun: Radio (4 Turns)
Edoras begins: Hydro Plant (4 turns)
Helm's Deep begins: Security Bureau (3 turns)
Aldburg begins: Mt. Rushmore (9 turns)
Westfold begins: Intelligence Agency (3 turns)
Eastfold finishes: Factory
Dunharrow grows: 16
Methedras finishes: Customs House
Starkhorn grows: 16
Dunburg finishes: Airship
Yeha finishes: Forbidden Palace
Gondar grows: 11
Aksum finishes: Theatre

IBT:
Attitude Change: Hannibal(Carthage) towards Théoden King(Rohan), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'

Turn 285/500 (1830 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:51:48]
Eastfold begins: Bank (4 turns)
Methedras begins: Factory (5 turns)
Dunburg begins: Levee (18 turns)
Aksum begins: Levee (17 turns)
Helm's Deep finishes: Security Bureau
A Hamlet was built near Dunharrow
A Town was built near Dunburg
Eastmark grows: 14
Yeha finishes: Barracks

IBT:
Attitude Change: Hannibal(Carthage) towards Pacal II(Maya), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'

Turn 286/500 (1832 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:53:30]
Helm's Deep begins: Bank (3 turns)
Yeha begins: Theatre (4 turns)
Helm's Deep begins: Settler (2 turns)
Edoras finishes: Hydro Plant
Westmark finishes: Artillery
Westfold finishes: Intelligence Agency
Dunburg grows: 16
A Hamlet was built near Dunburg
Gondar grows: 12
Debre Berhan finishes: Theatre
Addis Ababa finishes: Theatre

IBT:
While defending in Malinese territory at Hawulti, Marine defeats (12.48/24): Malinese Cavalry (Prob Victory: 89.1%)
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang(China) towards Mansa Musa(Mali), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 287/500 (1834 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:55:30]
Edoras begins: Public Transportation (2 turns)
Westmark begins: Levee (11 turns)
Westfold begins: Security Bureau (3 turns)
Addis Ababa begins: Factory (7 turns)
Artillery promoted: City Raider I
Artillery promoted: City Raider II
Artillery promoted: City Raider III
Artillery promoted: City Raider I
Artillery promoted: City Raider II
Marine promoted: Combat I
Marine promoted: Combat II
Marine promoted: Pinch
While attacking in Malinese territory at Hawulti, Marine defeats (22.56/24): Malinese Rifleman (Prob Victory: 99.5%)
Marine promoted: Combat I
Marine promoted: Pinch
While attacking in Malinese territory at Hawulti, Marine defeats (19.20/24): Malinese Rifleman (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
While attacking in Malinese territory at Hawulti, Éothain (Cavalry) defeats (15.00/15): Malinese Rifleman (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Hinduism has spread: Hawulti
Captured Hawulti (Mansa Musa)
Hawulti begins: Courthouse (121 turns)
Machine Gun promoted: Drill I
Infantry promoted: City Garrison I
Infantry promoted: City Garrison II
Infantry promoted: City Garrison III
While attacking in Malinese territory at Hawulti, Infantry defeats (12.20/20): Malinese Rifleman (Prob Victory: 99.4%)
A Pasture was built near Edoras
Tech learned: Radio
Helm's Deep finishes: Settler
Dunharrow finishes: Factory
Southfold grows: 13
Debre Berhan's borders expand
Addis Ababa's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 288/500 (1836 AD) [04-Jan-2008 23:58:36]
Research begun: Flight (4 Turns)
Dunharrow begins: Hydro Plant (6 turns)
Debre Berhan begins: Library (13 turns)
Persepolis founded
Fangorn Forest begins: National Park (60 turns)
Edoras finishes: Public Transportation
Eastfold finishes: Bank
Westfold finishes: Security Bureau
Yeha grows: 10
Yeha finishes: Theatre
Gondar grows: 13

IBT:

Turn 289/500 (1838 AD) [05-Jan-2008 00:02:00]
Edoras begins: Cristo Redentor (13 turns)
Eastfold begins: The Eiffel Tower (14 turns)
Westfold begins: Hindu Temple (1 turns)
Yeha begins: Library (6 turns)
Edoras begins: The Three Gorges Dam (23 turns)
Westfold begins: Cristo Redentor (12 turns)
A Forest Preserve was built near Fangorn Forest
Helm's Deep finishes: Bank
Methedras finishes: Factory
Starkhorn grows: 17
Gondar finishes: Courthouse

IBT:
Civics Change: Brennus(Celtia) from 'Hereditary Rule' to 'Universal Suffrage'
Civics Change: Brennus(Celtia) from 'Caste System' to 'Emancipation'

Turn 290/500 (1840 AD) [05-Jan-2008 00:04:29]
Reminder: stop playing
Helm's Deep begins: Hindu Temple (1 turns)
Methedras begins: Intelligence Agency (5 turns)
Gondar begins: Forge (11 turns)

Battle Stats:
Units victorious while attacking : 4
Units victorious while defending : 1
Units defeated while attacking : 0
Units defeated while defending : 0

Now we just need to keep Mansa alive and wait for PA :) Nice work.

Suggest we research towards Superconductors (for labs). Space seems to be the best way to win this.

We can increase our happiness a lot by trades.

I'd like us to get this city :D

Today would be a good day for me to play. So if Pholkhero doesn't show up, maybe I could make a swap with him?

Top Bottom