Do You Have A Different Personality At Work?

Kaitzilla

Lord Croissant
Supporter
I would say yes, most of us do!

There are 112 waking hours in a week.
For 72 hours we are Jekyll and 40 hours we are Hyde.
Or perhaps the reverse! :)

https://www.studyfinds.org/hiding-something-from-employer/
AUSTIN, Texas — Most American workers are keeping something a secret from their employer and co-workers — their “real” personality. A new survey finds 64 percent are fearful of being authentic around others in the workplace. In fact, seven in 10 say they adopt an entirely different personality when they’re at work, compared to their normal persona at home.
At work I become more outwardly friendly and focused.

Smiling at people constantly is usually mental illness outside work, but it has to be done on the clock. (Thanks masking!)

I get irritated at lost time more easily for sure.

My voice goes a bit higher and I move a bit slower to put people more at ease as a large guy.
Spoiler :

Maybe 25% personality change.

How about you all?
100% change or almost none at all?

I know one guy that turns from nice into a screaming maniac when working.

Last edited:
i definitely act differently. to what extent depends on exact work scenario. maybe the biggest difference is willingness to use expletives or talk about controversial topics...i virtually always leave those on the shelf at work unless the source of controversy is something happening there.

I'm always freaked out when people talk totally different to someone on the phone while they are next to me.

It is from a childhood trauma (6 yr) when all my friends refused to speak to me for 2 days because I unknowingly played with an ostracized kid.
Like everyone was a stranger wearing my friends' faces.

This clip from the movie "Sorry to Bother You (2018) made a home in my brain as the workers try to make a living by using their whitest voice.
https://en-gb.facebook.com/NetflixA...ur-white-voice-scene-netflix/722852838280326/

I .. don't think I could do that.
I try to compartmentalize my personality as little as possible between friends, family, and work to achieve minimal differences.

I feel like I'm forced to be more outgoing at work even though I resist it as much as I can. I'm also more likely to keep my frustrations to myself as most people at work don't care about my feelings. Otherwise I'm about the same I guess.

I often slipped away and be myself when I feel good. Use slang language, joke around, laugh out loud, etc. It's not that good, self-restraint and holding your expression at work is always a good option, but it's hard to do it constantly. For the longest time, I was thinking about being passionate about something, truthful, and saying everything as it is as something good. Truth is always good most of the time, but the way and the necessity to tell it is the important part that shouldn't be missed because without that things will get ugly. And being passionate is just silly and mostly brings you to the realm of clouds and fogs unless life is a Hollywood movie, what good are: is self-restraint, holding back, control, and rationale, say 3 out of your 10 ideas and keep the rest, don't reply kindness with extra kindness and friendliness, just be effective with the appreciation, and avoid explaining yourself and decision too much. The office is a battlefield.

I should think that most workers do. One of the awful standard practices of employers is trying to recruit people with matching, professionally optimal personalities instead just telling them how to work.

Depends which job. Driving ubereats requires almost nothing socially from me so I'm exactly the same.

At the gym I have to act generally more confident & socially engaged than I normally am which is probably a good thing (good practice).

I don't have a personality in my work. I don't develop friendships or otherwise seek out engagements. I prefer simply doing my job and moving on.

When I worked in customer service, I didn't put on a fake smile or change my voice. I preferred letting my work speak for itself, and I had good results. I always worked in customer service without supervision, though, so I didn't have a manager peering over my shoulder to micromanage my behaviour.

I wouldn’t say my personality is different, but my behavior is molded by social considerations; sensitive topics aren’t talked about, and I have no strong desire to bring them into the workplace.

That said, I have been asked about my religion and American politics by a few curious people, and I’ve never felt the need to conceal anything because it really is inconsequential in the context of work.

I try to stay out of any political discussion at work. That's all the difference.

Top Bottom