Does (The Christian) God have Limited Power?

Abaddon

Deity
Re: Image

Are we seeing less proof of God, because he is running out of power?

It's logically impossible for him to have limitless power, so yes.

God's publicist position has a high rate of turnover, and each new victim takes every opportunity to blame more and more on some mystical being called Satan.:mischief:

Spoiler :
Incidentally, a guy called Lucifer wants his day in court, and a chance to restore his good name.

i thought he was busy working on that whole "flooding the planet" thing again.

Heathens! You'll understand His power when you'll be cast to Hell for mocking Him! And I, who'll be in Heaven, as a True Christian, will greatly enjoy your screams of pain - for watching the sinners suffer is one of the greatest pleasures of Heaven :devil:

I welcome Hell. I think i'd be bored with the kind of people that end up in heaven.

Heathens! You'll understand His power when you'll be cast to Hell for mocking Him! And I, who'll be in Heaven, as a True Christian, will greatly enjoy your screams of pain - for watching the sinners suffer is one of the greatest pleasures of Heaven :devil:

All he would have to do if he wanted a person to be cast into the hell is to show that person his or her life story, and then he or she will do the job voluntarily.:lol:

He now has less power than he had before. He isn't going to suddenly smite me for saying this for example...

:goodjob: I don't think He has limited power. There is no reason for Him to lose power.

But what sparked the idea? Is that atheists have seen proof that He exists, so now they try to think He has less power? :lol:

He now has less power than he had before. He isn't going to suddenly smite me for saying this for example...
He isn't going to smite you now. He's going to let you burn in....

(By the way, I'm not trying to flame anybody with my statement above. It's going to happen to everybody who doesn't believe in Him when they die.)

There is no proof. Anyway, a being that powerful and wise would not behave in the manner that we see in the Bible or any holy text for that matter. Why would such a being care about an illiterate tribe of desert-dwelling barbarians? Why would it care about who you go to bed with? Why should it care about human beings or the planet Earth at all? I agree that 'god' has limited power because humans are limited and humans created the concept. A real god would be far greater than anything we could imagine or relate to.

Wouldn't that be a case of "increasingly limited power" rather than just "limited power"? (The second could just be a description of His power as having some limits)

And I'm not following your logic. Because what some people say He used to do is less obvious than what you see Him doing now, He must have less power? Couldn't it be possible that He merely uses His power less? If you're going to assume, for the sake of the topic, that God exists, then you're implicitly assuming that at least some of the ideas we have about God are correct. (The God you're talking about did certain things associated with the God in the Abrahamic religions) So why should we believe that these religious ideas about God were correct that He exists, correct that He did all these incredibly things, but wrong in that He is unchanging, and His power effectively unlimited?

Does (The Christian) God have Limited Power?

"god" has no power over moi.

@El ~ Why is he using his powers less then?

@Whiskey Lord

Why shouldn't such a being care?

Analogously, why should we care about educating the illiterate?

Because such a being would be so much greater than us. If it wasn't satisfied with its creation, it could simply scrap it and start over. I find it difficult to believe that such an unfathomable being would have such a petty emotional attachment to this little race of primates.

As for the second question, from a personal perspective: I would teach the illiterate to read because of human solidarity. I believe in enhancing the quality of life for people through educating them and stimulating free inquiry. It is immoral to sell people on the idea that any 'god' cares about them in this vast universe. It appeals to basic human solipsism and promotes wishful thinking instead of critical thinking. It's perfect if you want to manipulate people, but truly caring about others means emancipating their minds from such things. /rant

He isn't going to smite you now. He's going to let you burn in....

(By the way, I'm not trying to flame anybody with my statement above. It's going to happen to everybody who doesn't believe in Him when they die.)

Hell. Yep, I just finished it for you. Assuming they don't repent before death.

Its a sad thing though, and not something that should be said without a bit of trembling.

There is no proof.

And with that bad assumption, the whole post comes crumbling down.

Why is he using his powers less then?
There isn't much reason for him to use it right now. Right now, he is letting mankind run it's course. When Judgement Day comes, he will use his power. Right now, he is watching how people are acting (i.e. whether they are moral or not, etc.) without him using his power.

Hell. Yep, I just finished it for you. Assuming they don't repent before death.
Yes.

Its a sad thing though, and not something that should be said without a bit of trembling.
I believe in him, but I still can't help but get chills running down my spine when I think about what it's like.

Top Bottom