• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dominion NES

Y'know, if he's close enough to god powers, having him lead the humans to supremacy would not only be possible, it would give him a rather loyal base of followers. I think I like the idea.

There are more bakemono than humans, so he's more likely a bakemono god than a human god, but you can choose as you prefer.

A few examples of Pretender design:
A typical human archmage would know 7 magic paths, have a dominion of 5 out of 10, and 1 positive scale or 2 positive and 1 negative scale.
Keep in mind the highest level in a path is 5. It's going to be very strong, but there are ways to reach such a level when starting from a lower level (through items, use of lots of mana). High level in your startingpaths will help your sacred troops considerably (fire weapons, extraordinary luck, resistance to lightning, speed, regeneration, whatnot).

Example 1: A Dragon
Dominion 6, Fire magic 5. Order scale 1, Magic scale 1, Heat scale 1.
This dragon is very tough, breathes fire and can use very potent fire magic. Magic is strong in his lands, and the country is orderly but quite hot.

Example 2: An archmage
Dominion 5, Air magic 2, Fire magic 2, Astral Magic 2, Earth Magic 1, Luck scale 2, Turmoil scale 1 (= Order -1 ).
Although weak physically, the archmage has a broad base of magics available. His land is quite chaotic but people who believe in him tend to be lucky.

Example 3: A huge Wyrm
Dominion 10. No magic. Order scale 1. Growth scale 1.
A huge two headed serpent who regenerates its wounds. It is aweful to behold and people tend to worship him very easily, which brings them long lives and prosperity.

Example 4: A Titan
Dominion 5. Air magic 3, Earth magic 2. Order scale 2, Misfortune scale 1 (= Luck -1).
Zeus, wielder of lightning, brings order to his followers, but fate is often grim in his otherwise prosperous realm.

Example 5: A Prince of Death
Dominion 8. Death magic 5. Astral magic 3. Death scale 3. Turmoil scale 3. Luck scale 1.
A huge winged undead from the underworld, fearsome to behold, master of death magic and potent in astral magic, he spreads death and chaos wherever he flies. People who believe in him live short but very thrilling and rewarding lives.

Is there a chart that we can use to see how much each different skill costs in points for our Pretender?

Basically everything costs 1 point and you have 13 points. If you spend one on a bad scale, you'll have one more point to spend elsewhere.
Having a non humanoid monster (dragon...) will cost you 1 point because they are very strong and may be able to conquer weak armies all by themselves.
Having a Titan or giant humanoid will cost you 2 points because they are physically tough and, contrary to dragon, can wear lots of magic items making them even more fearsome in the long run.
If you want special dominion effects, they can cost you 1 point too.
If you want to have more than 1 magic path for a dragon or more than 2 paths for a titan, it will cost you 1 point.

It can be more complex too if you want fancy stuff. For instance a phoenix is much weaker than a dragon but cannot be killed in his dominion, so he's as expensive as a dragon despite being a wimp, but he can have access to 2 magic paths without extra cost (but only if they are fire and air).
Under the hood, I'll be checking the Dominions god creation tool to make sure noone is getting something too strong or weak. I'm remaining vague with the Titan and archmage stuff, as there is actually a lot of variants of these. I don't stick to the computer game, but depending on your nation I may propose some extra stuff.

Also, I'll be using the followign email address for this NES: ldcdomnes at gmail (dot) com. So you can send mails there if you prefer that to PMs.

Oops- found my answer.

A stupid question #2: How much would a shape changing bird (That can switch from bird to human to GIANT snake at will) cost? :p

Stupid Question #3: same as Seon's except any shapechager. Like an archmage to a bird, if that's the only shape he/she can turn to.

Will the domain scales of hot/cold operate as they do in-game, meaning that a hotter/colder region would make it difficult for your own and enemy armies to move through?

Are we also using the actual game's rule for increasing dominion? For instance with the "Spread the Holy Word" command from the Priests there would be a 30% base chance to spread multiplied by the priest's level and subtracted by 5% multiplied by the level of enemy dominion.

An example like:

Kostros the Priest of C'tis God Razaal moves into an adjacent province to preach the word of his religion. The province is firmly under the sway of Machaka Goddess Mamlambo and the province has a dominion of -5 to the C'tis. Razaal, a fairly well travelled priest, is level 2 and his base chance becomes 60%, but is subtracted by 25% due to the strong following Mamlamobo has in the province- thus the final chance to spread Razaal's dominion by this particular priest becomes 35%.

Requesting Tien Chi.

Sorry! LDi said that he would take no more signups :( I would have liked to have you in the game though...

Never already has a slot reserved, I think. He is just changing this nation.

Whops! :p gotta refresh my notes on whose playing this game!

A few clarifications:

On pretender design:
You pick magic paths, that is air/earth/water/fire/nature/astral/death/blood, not schools (conjuration etc.)
Shapeshifters don't cost more. It'll just limit the number of paths they can have by 1. For instance, dragons can shapechange into human form (they don't cast as well when in dragon shape). Werevwolves and mages turning into turkeys are also heard of. If your alternate shape is going to be tough like a dragon, then it's going to cost you 1 point and limit the breadth of magics you can pick to 1 path (additional paths will cost 1 more design point). If you pick an archmage and no alternate shape, you will have other benefits (native mana income, better research, forge bonus...)

Scales:
Scales are opposites, so when I say -1 Order or 1 Turmoil, it's the same thing. In particular, Magic and Drain are opposite (the names may be confusing).
Heat/Cold dominion will affect your income: If you're in a hot province, you'll earn less money unless your people like it hot (abysians for instance).

Dominion:
I'm using a mechanism different form the game. Preaching is an order you can give to your priests, and the higher their level, the more likely to work. I will probably not detail priest levels as much as in the game.
However, each god will have dominion in every province. The goal is to have the highest dominion. If you have the highest dominion in a province, other god's dominion there will have a chance to decrease.
You will know who has the highest dominion in a province, and what other faiths are there and whether they are comparatively strong or not, waning or growing.

Neverwonagame3:
A few clarifications:

On pretender design:
You pick magic paths, that is air/earth/water/fire/nature/astral/death/blood, not schools (conjuration etc.)
Shapeshifters don't cost more. It'll just limit the number of paths they can have by 1. For instance, dragons can shapechange into human form (they don't cast as well when in dragon shape). Werevwolves and mages turning into turkeys are also heard of. If your alternate shape is going to be tough like a dragon, then it's going to cost you 1 point and limit the breadth of magics you can pick to 1 path (additional paths will cost 1 more design point). If you pick an archmage and no alternate shape, you will have other benefits (native mana income, better research, forge bonus...)

Scales:
Scales are opposites, so when I say -1 Order or 1 Turmoil, it's the same thing. In particular, Magic and Drain are opposite (the names may be confusing).
Heat/Cold dominion will affect your income: If you're in a hot province, you'll earn less money unless your people like it hot (abysians for instance).

Dominion:
I'm using a mechanism different form the game. Preaching is an order you can give to your priests, and the higher their level, the more likely to work. I will probably not detail priest levels as much as in the game.
However, each god will have dominion in every province. The goal is to have the highest dominion. If you have the highest dominion in a province, other god's dominion there will have a chance to decrease.
You will know who has the highest dominion in a province, and what other faiths are there and whether they are comparatively strong or not, waning or growing.

Neverwonagame3:
Kyzarc has picked Arshnoc in T'ien Ch'i 's location so that's already taken. If you would rather have chinese-like we can relocate them somewhere else (towards Bogarus or even farther). If you picked it for the location, it's already taken, sorry.
If you want T'ien Ch'i, then you'll lead exiles from their country. You can pick a location, and PM me where you'd like to be (Bogarus for instance, but the map wraps east-west so the western isles of Eriu are a possibility). The location of such exiles might not be known to others until update 1.

The mictlan?

We ate 'em all. Seriously.

(anyway, i wrote a very short backstory blurb about where my peeps came from and how come they live in the mictlan jungles and in it we ate all the mictlan)... if you are SERIOUSLY attached to them i guess i can play something else (i don't mind TOO much)... but if you aren't all that attached can you find something else to play?)

:gripe: Ah well. Both the FFHNESes I was in just instant-died, so I'm looking for something like that to compensate. But I understand, LDC, no probs. I'll just play civ then :p

The mictlan?

We ate 'em all. Seriously.

(anyway, i wrote a very short backstory blurb about where my peeps came from and how come they live in the mictlan jungles and in it we ate all the mictlan)... if you are SERIOUSLY attached to them i guess i can play something else (i don't mind TOO much)... but if you aren't all that attached can you find something else to play?)

Looks like the only human interaction I will have on the southern continent will be from you, Immy!

I think that 'Never Won a Game' is to your east.

Also, we're hardly human.

Top Bottom