Doviello+

The mohawk is a bit silly.

When you live in an arctic waste, it's obviously about practicality. Therefore, long hair would be preferable for either gender, due to the insulation it provides for the head. Mohawks don't fit at all. Nor do exposed midriffs.

The mohawk is a bit silly.

When you live in an arctic waste, it's obviously about practicality. Therefore, long hair would be preferable for either gender, due to the insulation it provides for the head. Mohawks don't fit at all. Nor do exposed midriffs.

Bah. World War 2 Paratroopers cut their hair into mohawks all the time, didn't interfere with their helmet....the other piece of insulation you can wear.

I've come to the same general conclusion about the duel system. I love it, but it's too strong without a cap. I've got two basic ideas..... Greatly reduce the xp from dueling, which I'd rather not do, or place a hard cap on it.

Immortals I'm fine with, though I might put in a check that permanently kills them...
The problem is not the duel system - having two 150xp units duel and ending up with one of them at 200 or so is a perfectly fine mechanic, because it costs you a second strong unit. The problem comes when you combine it with the shared xp system and can build units in one turn that have 150xp. I would say cap the shared XP, dueling is just fine as it is.

You shouldn't kill immortals, especially not from something as minor as dueling (a unit that can be eaten by a dragon and still reincarnate should not die in arena combat). What you could do is reduce the XP gain from fighting an immortal, so that if it's defeated and then pops right back up again the victor doesn't gain much benefit.

You could remove the current XP sharing rate from the unit XP before a duel. Thus if you are building 150XP units out of the gate, then only the XP BEYOND 150 is actually considered for Duel enhancements.

Kinda hoses you if your current Free XP is higher than that on one of your units because you just lost a ton of units in a bad fight, but other than that it won't often come up as noticeable unless someone is using this power-duel strategy.

Couple of issues:
>None of the pack units show up in the civilopedia, even the ones that existed previously (Wolf pack and Lion Pride).
>Hippogriff Flights and Bear Packs are unable to build dens. (Wolf Pack and Lion/Sabertooth Pride can, haven't tested with Cave Bear Pack or Griffon Flight.)
>When you cast 'Form Pack' the new unit has all of the promotions of both and the highest XP of both, but the level of the unit that did not cast the spell. Meaning you can take a freshly spawned Griffon, send it over to the level 7 one with 150xp, and end up with a level 1 Griffon Flight that already has Combat 5 and Mobility 2 and can spend all of its XP again.
>More of a balance thing - either animals should be able to get more promotions, or more of the packs ought to be beast units. Even without abusing the above method, I'm quite frequently running out of promotions. It would also allow a bit more variety in packs rather than just having to choose between Combat and Mobility.

Is any of this balanced with the rest of the game?

>More of a balance thing - either animals should be able to get more promotions, or more of the packs ought to be beast units. Even without abusing the above method, I'm quite frequently running out of promotions. It would also allow a bit more variety in packs rather than just having to choose between Combat and Mobility.

How about, a promotion that can be taken at lv8, the only requirement being UNICOMBAT_ANIMAL. And taking it would simply change you to UNITCOMBAT_BEAST. Possibly with a +20% strength or somesuch so that you don't have to choose between it and another promo.

I think it would be quite logical, that animals become truly beastly as they grow stronger and murder everything in their path.

Is any of this balanced with the rest of the game?

It's getting there. :lol:

How about, a promotion that can be taken at lv8, the only requirement being UNICOMBAT_ANIMAL. And taking it would simply change you to UNITCOMBAT_BEAST. Possibly with a +20% strength or somesuch so that you don't have to choose between it and another promo.

I think it would be quite logical, that animals become truly beastly as they grow stronger and murder everything in their path.

I was actually thinking of having it autoacquired while running the Council of the Wilds civic.

I was actually thinking of having it autoacquired while running the Council of the Wilds civic.

Perhaps you'll notice, I didn't say anything about it requiring Doviello civ.

I feel the lack of promotions is a problem with animals in general, and hampers anyone who tries to pursue a strategy of getting recon units and capturing things (elves, archos, austrin all spring to mind). It also artificially limits the strengths of wild animals in a disappointing way.

I was really thinking to make this available to all animals, period. regardless of owner, and including Cernunnos. Hence, the level prereq. Not a lot of animals will live to lv8, but it's a reasonable benchmark to deserve some good reward for doing so.

Actually, since no promotion prereqs are needed, I could do this in a module. so if you don't do it, I will :p

That would definitely be an improvement, but my point was that with animals the only choice to be made is between combat and mobility. I want promotions that can be taken instead, not promotions that can be taken after.

I havent seen any skimpy mahala leader art. Where is the skimpy mahala leader art yall keep complaining about!

That would definitely be an improvement, but my point was that with animals the only choice to be made is between combat and mobility. I want promotions that can be taken instead, not promotions that can be taken after.

Animals can also learn woodsman, guerilla, and city attack.

But in general, Combat I-V, Guerilla, City Attack, Mobility I, Woodsman. Gives 9 promotions to choose from. Not a lot, but enough to see you to that point.

In fact, can't they learn magic resistance and such too?

Animals can also learn woodsman, guerilla, and city attack.

But in general, Combat I-V, Guerilla, City Attack, Mobility I, Woodsman. Gives 9 promotions to choose from. Not a lot, but enough to see you to that point.

In fact, can't they learn magic resistance and such too?

But not Woodsman or Guerilla 2, which is is what makes either of those promotions worthwhile. I had forgotten about city raider, mostly because animals already get a huge penalty to city attack so I never bother with it. I don't believe they can actually learn Magic Resistance, they just get it by default in the wild.

But not Woodsman or Guerilla 2, which is is what makes either of those promotions worthwhile.

I have to disagree here. Alright, guerilla is worthless in it's current implementation. I personally fix that by giving it +20% hills attack too.

But Woodsman is one of the best promotions in the game if you're remotely near forest. When attacking, It completely nullifies the forest defence bonus, and even gives you a 5% attack bonus. It also synergises well when on the defence, to get +55% from a terrain feature that's ridiculously common.

I do agree however, that it would be logical for animals to be able to learn the lv2 versions.

I'm pretty sure it's a sign I've been playing too much FfH but as I was lying awake in bed last night I was thinking about the Doviello (and no, not the skimpy Malhala.)

I came up with a way to incorporate the shared experience and duelling in a passive, risky way to enhance their troop strength. Basically each fully healed Doviello unit acts as a training yard for their unit type, granting them set amount of passive experience. In addition, each unit increases the cap to passive experience that can be learned by training.

For example, the first hunter is created with 0xp. Every turn that hunter will gain 0.1xp until it reaches 2. However, if a second hunter is added to the stack, each hunter will gain 0.2xp per turn until they reach 4.

This experience can be seen as the traditional duels, communal hunting parties, drinking contests, bar fights, training exercises or whatever the Doviello do to hone their fighting skills. Whatever the method it doesn't come without some risk. Whenever two units of the same type end the turn on the same tile there is a chance of a "scuffle" which will result in one or both of participants being damaged, weakened, held or possibly killed.

There is a great benefit to having a large stack of units training each other. But since the chances of a scuffle go up exponentially with the size of the stack there will come a point when all the scuffles will keep you from gaining experience.

Units don't gain training xp or an increased xp cap by being in the same tile as lower level units. They do gain more xp from being in the same tile as a higher level unit. Greater the difference in levels the greater the xp gain. Scuffles between units of different levels are generally deadlier for the lower level unit and have no effect on the higher level unit at all. The greater the difference in level (and base strength) the greater the chance of the lower level unit ending up dead.

As the Doviello move into neutral, barbarian, friendly or enemy territory the chance of a scuffle (and likewise their XP gain cap) goes down respectively. While invading a foreign land they are apt to be more disciplined and on task than when they are languishing at home.

Initially I was hoping to do this using a promotion similar to the Dural hero and the Amnosity code from the Warhammer mod. Unfortunately I didn't want the units to have to be in a city, so this is handled all in python. I've got the code written but I've run into a few problems with the XP distribution and some of the scuffle events. And of course I need to test and tweak the numbers but I think the math looks good.

Once I'm done I'll post it up here. The mechanic seems best suited to the Doviello but since they're pretty much set I'm sure it could be used for other civs.

I will not be satisfied until the full picture of the skimpy mahala art is posted :(

The portrait leaderhead I have seen thusfar contains no skimpyness and looks MORE like the ranger type she seems to be.

Top Bottom