1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Duel - Game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PitBoss Games' started by KingMorgan, May 4, 2010.

1. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Since I accidentally missed last turn, and there were some crucial moves to consider, I decided to play first this turn. There don't seem to be any crucial moves on this upcoming turn, which means we can either keep the new turn order or go back to what we had before. Unless anyone thinks differently, I will continue to play first.

On a side note, the more we meet each other, the harder it will be to keep a strict turn order. I have almost no experience with AW/duel-like games - how does this usually work?

2. Elkad

Elkad Chieftain

Good question, I don't know either. Since all negotiations are illegal, you can't even narrow down your list of "active" enemies.

3. Exploit

Exploit Chieftain

I believe usually the always war games are played in real-time where turn order doesn't matter. I am fine with ignoring turn order and playing whenever people want. As long as we are all aware that double moves may happen we can prepare for it.

The alternative of imposing a strict turn order would be very difficult to implement since every player would only have about a 5 hour window in which to make their turn each day if everyone was given an equal window. Given that most players occassionally miss their turn, the game could drag on a long time if we wait for each player to make their turn this way.

Since there are only a few of us left, I was wondering if there was any interest in arranging a time when we could all log in at the same time for a couple of hours and play simultaneously? We could probably finish the game in a few hours that way.

4. Niklas

Not on my part, sorry. I enjoy the slower pace, and the chance to think each turn through. That's why I play pitboss games and not normal MP games. :)

5. Niklas

Cannot connect to the server. PM sent to Morgan.

6. Niklas

Now it works again.

7. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Chieftain

User error ;)

8. Niklas

Nah, not this user ;) :p

9. Niklas

Is this the official stance then? Only four of us left now, so it would in theory be possible to play by a strict turn order, though I'm not sure it's worth it.

10. Elkad

Elkad Chieftain

I'd like to at least make an effort to not double-move people

At least avoid the obvious stuff where you play last, flip the turn, and play again.

I don't want to play alarm-clock games.

11. Niklas

That would be my base stance as well.

12. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

I agree. BTW I can't connect to the game!

13. Niklas

Seems all of Morgan's games are inconnectable (look ma, I maded a new word!).

14. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Chieftain

How dare you question my hardware!! It's an interwebs problem or maybe an ISP.

On a more serious note there does appear to be some unknown traffic creating issues and swamping the connection. I've rebooted and had a little fiddle, so that should clear things up for a while.

Is it possible to have this game finished by Christmas? I'm not sure if i'll be able to host all these games come January.

15. Niklas

This game won't be finished by Christmas, no. Time to start looking for an alternate host?

16. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Chieftain

It would be a good idea to have an alternative host who could take over after Christmas, but i'll keep hosting as long as i'm able.

17. Niklas

So what did we really agree about double moves? I was just double-moved, with dire (but possibly unavoidable) consequences, and with almost 20 hours on the clock. And that just turns after I myself (on the same arena) could have (ab)used a double-move to good effect, but (obviously) chose not to.

18. Exploit

Exploit Chieftain

My understanding is that the agreed upon rule is:

Assuming the incident in question is the 2 galleons of yours that I just sank then this rule was followed. Both Adi and Elkad played after me before I went again.

I am not sure what other double-move abuse you think you might have been able to get away with 2 turns ago however you did use the against-the-above-rule double move below to get a galleon past my naval sentries and in position to strike my capital (fortunately I had a secondary frigate in range).

I would be very irate if we retroactively changed the rules now, especially after all the double moves that Niklas and others have been using to evade my naval sentries.

For the record, the sinking of your galleons was unavoidable as they could not get out of range of my frigates no matter where they moved. You may have got to unload any troops on them but even that would not have mattered since I have enough troops in the area to defeat 6 of your best troops before you could do any damage other than possibly destroying an improvement.

19. Niklas

Yes I'm talking about you sinking the galleons. You quoted only half of Elkad's comment:
    The fact that both Adi and Elkad played before you played again is irrelevant since there was no way for me to play between (middle of the night for me - alarm clock no thanks!), and there was a relative eternity (20 hours) left on the clock meaning you were not in any pressing need to play. From my perspective, what you did is equivalent to playing last and then playing again, for the situation between you and me.

The double move I could have gotten away with would have been to move them twice on the same turn to get from completely-out-of-sight to attacking your city. I opted to stay one turn visible inside your borders, giving you a chance move units to defend the threatened city. Not sure whether you needed to or not, I didn't have visibility on the city on that first turn, but that was my intention at least.

I am baffled by the talk of sentries since I haven't seen any and certainly haven't deliberately avoided any. If by the galleon threatening your capital you mean the one I had near your south-western corner (note that I still don't know where your capital is!), it was empty, and AFAIR did not see any sentries on the way. Yes I played twice in succession, since nothing I could do could have any major impact. I've done it several times when it wouldn't change anything, but have taken care not to actually double-move you or anyone else.

20. Exploit

Exploit Chieftain

I have several naval units set to sentry around my borders who only become active when an enemy unit comes within visual range of them. Either your galleon set off the sentry on my south-western coast when he double moved by or someone else was in the same area and set him off. Regardless there have been several caravels, mainly yours, who have survived because they have double moved away before I got a chance to move and attack them. Just because your double moves do not involve attacks does not mean they are not having a major impact. The reason you have not seen my sentries on the eastern front is because they have all had to head back to my coast because to corner the caravels which keep double moving to evade my attacks (whether purposefully done for that reason or not). The only reason your galleons were even in position to double-move attack one of my inner cities from out of sight range is because of these double-move evasions preventing me from setting up the eastern sentry line.

The bottom line is that you have double-moved me several times as you admit and while those double-moves would not change anything from your perspective (or so you think since at least 3 more of your caravels would have been killed by now if it wasn't for your double moves) they certainly have had a major impact on me. Instead of complaining, I have been adapting my defense accordingly.

I do not care if you double move from out of sight range to attack one of my cities as long as you do not go last in the previous turn and first in the following turn (which both Adi and you have been doing a lot of, despite the agreed upon rule not to). I am baffled that anyone could seriously try to make the claim that moving units in enemy territory while performing a double move doesn't change things or have any major impact!