Earth, 1000 AD - A Historical PBEM

Yes, I wonder who is holding the game?

I see a Civilization Player list but not a proper turn order so it is hard to say

I've seen in a few games that we just send the last turn around again until we find the current player. Tigranes you seem to be here, can you send your turn on again with a message that it might have been already played and to pass their turn on if so

I see a Civilization Player list but not a proper turn order so it is hard to say

I've seen in a few games that we just send the last turn around again until we find the current player. Tigranes you seem to be here, can you send your turn on again with a message that it might have been already played and to pass their turn on if so

This link has the proper order. As you can see Luthor is after me and I sent my 1700 AD turn to ruff on May 29. But Luthor sent his turn on May 30th, meaning we need to ask sinimusta if he GPSed to Michkov...

Ah ha! The culprit has emerged.

HRE has choosen to defy MY resolution??? :aargh:

It's good to see that the Spanish Queen has also been outraged by this behaviour!

It's good to see that the Spanish Queen has also been outraged by this behaviour!

You do realize that if Spain captures Rome they win by Historical Victory? Or at least they will be very close, the already control the necessary colonies so the only thing I'm unsure about is how many civs they converted to Christianity.

NOW you tell me?

I must admit that I have been tottally oblivious of the special victory conditions... sneaky Spaniards....

Yeah, this seems quite a ruling issue. The problem is that the admin and the one whose victory conditions are ruled are the same person. So what exactly is Isabella converting someone in the game context? sending a missionary and then someone changing state reli? Or a neighbour just decided to convert, and that is seen as Spanish influence?

The Spanish Conquistadors - Spanish victory condition

(...) To win as Spain, you must control modern day Spain and at least 2 cities in North Africa, as well as 5 cities in each of North and South America.

Victory Condition, part 2: Isabella loves her Christianity! All of Spain's cities must be Christian, and you must convert at least 2 of your neighbors to Christianity and own the Apolistic Palace...
It's true that not everything is crystal clear.

"All of Spain's cities must be Christian". As there is no inquisitor unit, I would assume that this means that every city must Christianity present...

"must convert at least 2 of your neighbors to Christianity". This does raise a lot of issues. I think that Mali converting to Christianity can be clearly one of them. BUT what if Mali changes it's religion now? Does it still count? And what is the definition of neighbor? I guess that it can't be Spain original borders as there isn't many non-Christians nearby...

I do think that Nighthawk is a reasonable guy so I will be curious to hear his view on this subjective matter!

I
"must convert at least 2 of your neighbors to Christianity". This does raise a lot of issues. I think that Mali converting to Christianity can be clearly one of them. BUT what if Mali changes it's religion now? Does it still count? And what is the definition of neighbor? I guess that it can't be Spain original borders as there isn't many non-Christians nearby...
Moreover, I changed religion as a favor to Byzantium... not Spain.

I am not sure he has the required number of cities in N and S America yet. But I could be wrong.

Sorry everyone for not checking the thread, I've been bad at that lately. Thanks to Luthor for the heads up to check and resolve the questions. So here I go... here are the Spanish victory conditions to start:

The Spanish Conquistadors - Spanish victory condition

Spain is most famous for being ruler of the seas, "discovering" the New World and essentially slaughtering the local natives to America. The Spanish colonies ultimately became their own countries in America, the empire did not survive that large magnitude. But you can do better! To win as Spain, you must control modern day Spain and at least 2 cities in North Africa, as well as 5 cities in each of North and South America.

Victory Condition, part 2: Isabella loves her Christianity! All of Spain's cities must be Christian, and you must convert at least 2 of your neighbors to Christianity and own the Apolistic Palace...

Regarding part 1, I do control Spain and 2 cities in North Africa. However currently I only have 3 cities in South America and none in North America.

Yes, my cities all must have Christianity present since there is no inquisitor in the base game, that was what I meant.

Obviously part of my attack on HRE is to gain the AP ;)

However "converting two neighbors to Christianity" is a tough one. My interpretation is that it means I must request two civs to switch to Christianity that previously did not have Christianity as their state religion, and have them switch. This can be humans or AI's. For AI's its simple, it obviously has to be a switch that is made upon my request with the diplo screen. For humans, I have to specifically ask you and have you switch. This could obviously be done in any form of private communication, not just in-game. However, the victory condition does NOT say that the neighbors have to STAY Christian... so my ruling is that as long as I get two civs to switch at some point, I should be good.

As for my status - I haven't asked anyone to switch yet, so I'm also 0/2 on this VC.

So in summary, here's where I stand, and I'm still a long ways away... there is no reason to declare war on me ;)

2/2 cities in North Africa
0/5 cities in North America
3/5 cities in South America
0/1 control AP (although currently invading)
0/2 convert civs to christianity
??? All cities have christianity (Most do, I'm just not 100% on a couple cities I have)

So... all we have to do to stop Spain from winning is to force all the AI nations to became Christian... if they are already Christian they can't be converted!!! ;)

Yes that's a good point Luthor. I have to admit I didn't think through the actual game impact of these VC's when I made them up ;) While I enjoy having a victory target, I don't necessarily play to win, i just enjoy the game, so I'm not going to cry about it if I don't make it.

I know... I'm a bit like that as well... in some games I play to win, others just to have fun.

The thing is that we are all enjoying the game so much that we don't want to see anybody win!!! :D

Thank you for setting this game up!

Top Bottom