Elite: Dangerous

Ziggy Stardust

Absolutely Sane
Found out a couple of days ago the release date will be December 16th. By now that sounds like an eternity as vast as the galaxy you get to play around in. Man I can't wait for this game. This takes me actually back 30 years when the idea of a galaxy to explore, 256 planets at as time was mind boggling. Weekends spent dealing in Arcturian Megaweed, fighting with Targoids who yanked you out of hyperspace, avoiding/attacking vipers when being wanted, and basically just exploring and restarting after having bought tribbles. And judging by the scope and scale of this version 3 decades later, this might just have the potential to do it again. (Of course, it has the potential to be an epic disappointment).

This might even be the first game I'm going to play online. From what I've gathered that shows great promise.

Anyone else looking forward to this one? Especially when you've played the oldie as well?

The old

Link to video.

The new

Link to video.

Want. Waaaaant!!! :twitch:

I'm very intrigued of course and have been looking for a modern space game that isn't the X series for some time.

This is looking much better than Star Citizen in its current state.

This game looks pretty badass. But I've been hurt before, I'm not sure if I'm ready to trust again.

I want to know how the original game managed to escape my notice 30 years ago. That looks sweet! I feel like I missed out big time. :(

I used to play Elite back in the 90s.. I think.. maybe it was the 80s? I remember having huge problems trying to dock. The stupid space station was rotating, and I could never figure out how to align to it properly to dock. I also hated memorizing or writing down the prices of things so that I can get a good deal. So I stopped playing it. But this, I might give this a try.

Docking took a couple of tricks, until you bought the docking computer.

And you could guess what prices there were from the type of planet. Industrial or agricultural.

I played a pre-alpha version Elite: Dangerous with the Oculus Rift and superdooper joystick thing and it was pretty amazeballs from the 5 minute mission I did. Hard though. The lock on didn't work and the Rift had terrible resolution so it wasn't a particularly polished product that I was playing. Still it bears attention, I'd be interested in playing the full version on non-gimmicky peripherals.

I've got my eyes on this game (and Star Citizen too) since the beginning, but they plan to release the planet landing part later, so I'm waiting for this and for feedback about DRM and how the solo game is playing (if it's just as good as the always-online part or if it's an emasculated version) to decide if I'll buy it.

Yeah, I've heard about Planet landing and be able to explore in person. Not very confident about that part. I think BattleCruiser had a similar mechanic, and that was just cumbersome. Just let me bob in my spaceship and be merry.

I usually limit myself to the solo as well. But I must say I like how they're planning to include newsfeeds into the game about what players are up to. I'm hoping that'll be similar to when I played Planetarium.

oh sweet...I never played the original Elite, but did play the remake Elite Plus in the early 90s...loved that game. It was the first in a whole stream of space-y games that I played. Followed of course, by the whole Wing Commander and Privateer stuff. Somehow, that genre more or less died after that, though :(

Yeah, I've heard about Planet landing and be able to explore in person. Not very confident about that part. I think BattleCruiser had a similar mechanic, and that was just cumbersome. Just let me bob in my spaceship and be merry.

I usually limit myself to the solo as well. But I must say I like how they're planning to include newsfeeds into the game about what players are up to. I'm hoping that'll be similar to when I played Planetarium.

Yeah this almost seems like a game that you'd have to play online. Unless the solo play has like a campaign mode with a decent story or something, I feel like just travelling back and forth from planets buying and selling stuff will get old pretty quick without being able to interact with other people.

It's not really the "leave spaceship and walk around" that I'm waiting for (though, if it works, it'd great, a bit like SpaceEngine - if you don't know, just have a look, it's just AWESOME), but simply the ability to fly and land on planets.
Artificial barriers between planets and space are just too foreign to my countless Frontier hours.
The fact is, in X years (5 ? 10 ? 15 ?), the servers will be dead. And I'll still dust off the game and play it from time to time. I want it to be good while offline.

Yeah I agree. I haven't found any footage of ships approaching planets, although there is a rumour you can mine gasses from gas giants or something. It'd be cool to just be able to fly over the surface of an Eartlike planet.

It all is Star Citizen vs Elite. The future of space games looks exciting. My only concern is both being MMOs (however develepores saying they arent), and having microtransactions and all that crap. But there is not others alternatives AFAIK if things are not as we were expecting, except the absolutely and utterly disgusting X:Rebirth or returning to X3.

I'm very interested in this. I loved the first 2 games and spent far too many hours on them. Never really played the 3rd one as I didn't have the hardware at the time. I wanted to join the Kickstarter and put a fairly hefty pledge in for this, but I only heard about it after the initial time limit passed. I emailed the support to find out if I could still pledge and still get some of the perks, but the email responses I got were curt and unhelpful and so I never really gave it much of a look after that. But now it's nearly here I might be interested to dive in.

Freelancer was good, esp with mods.

That was the one where you steered with your mouse, where the space sectors were separated by nationality (New Germany or something)? Didn't play it a lot but it looked interesting indeed.

Top Bottom