• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Employment Status (12/12/2004)

What's your employment status?

• Retired

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discouraged worker (Non-Student)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Technically I am a PhD student. Though if I actually get on with my thesis rather than playing Civ3 I may actually finish it and find employment in the next 2-3 months!

God, I'm going to miss being a student!

I thought there would be more "discouraged worker" students (I always thought they were called 'jobless' rather than discouraged worker).

Mise said:
I thought there would be more "discouraged worker" students (I always thought they were called 'jobless' rather than discouraged worker).

You can count one less, I clicked it before I knew what it meant. I'm actually just a normal unemployed student.

Mise said:
I don't really see the difference 'tween an "unemployed" student and a "discouraged worker" student. I voted for the former, but since I'm not attempting to find a job - I don't need the money and don't have any insufferable excess of sparetime - perhaps I should have chosen the later. Saying that I'm "discouraged" seems ridiculous, however.

Employed by my University. My position is 1/2 scientific assistant, 1/2 PhD student.

The Last Conformist said:
I don't really see the difference 'tween an "unemployed" student and a "discouraged worker" student. I voted for the former, but since I'm not attempting to find a job - I don't need the money and don't have any insufferable excess of sparetime - perhaps I should have chosen the later. Saying that I'm "discouraged" seems ridiculous, however.
Well they make a difference in unemployment statistics (i.e. it may be more appropriate to ignore jobless people who aren't looking for employment, e.g. students or people who have given up looking for jobs, when compiling unemployment statistics). Though I agree it's even more misleading to label us "discouraged" or "workers" (since I am separately neither but somehow I'm both at the same time :hmm: ) than it is to label us "unemployed".

Well there's lots of different ways of measuring unemployment. Sometimes they're included, sometimes they're not. Governments normally use those registered as unemployed and/or claiming benefits, which doesn't include students.

I wanted to answer this poll, like other ones, but really can't fit in one category. :scan: Given the status I have, and given some months around now (past and future), I find myself inbetween several categories. The goal is to get to "employed (not student)" in the end, of course. :) In the meantime I play Civ and do other stuff. ;)

I'm a student. And also unemployed. I have no idea where to work thatb would be:

a) enjoyable and
b) managable

Why are my only options as a Student unemployed and discouraged worker?

I love my job!

CivGeneral said:
I am a student and a Discuraged Worker. Mainly I am discuraged to find a job because no one wants to hire me becuase of the hours I wish to work. Its hard for me since I have Karate 3 times a week, School in the morning, and a club meeting on Mondays.

Try getting a job at a university function/location. I am sure they will be more understanding.

I work 40 hours a week activating cell phones. I am applying for part time at a group foster home. My interview is today. If I get hired there I'll be working about 60 hours a week (40 at current job 20 at new). But I hope to phase out my cell phone job if this new one works out.

Top Bottom