Resource icon

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) v.29 beta 5b

they look really nice, Nutty. In my case, I always play a game with quick movement/battle. I would check them off if I want to see animations (as an veteran player, most time I don't want to see animations). I dont think the vanilla animation of anti-aircraft gun is impressive and I have no problem of getting more diversified units. So my opinion is that please, you definitely need to incorporate them to your mod. I would say add them without hesitation.
I remember you already added truck mounted anti-craft guns for Japan (if you have not, I believe ethnic units does add it). So what's the point of abandoning them? : )

Ethnic Units used anti-aircraft armor units (which as I've mentioned, I don't want to do because they look too similar to the other armor units--which was Gedemon's thinking for R.E.D. as well), but yes, BrutalSamurai22 used the Type 98 (Ko-Hi) [bottom left of the picture above] for Ethnic Units because it was the only AA unit danrell made for Japan.

Looking much better and also more sensible models in my opinion, i would vote for not extending the movement.

Last edited:
A Vox Populi thread concluded that due to a lack of models, the Shoshone Pathfinder will likely be the new starter scout, with the regular scout moved to Classical in order to lessen the gap between scouts and explorers. If this happens and if you ever diversify them, may I ask that you offer one of the reskins as a replacer for VP? The unit would do well with something more universal.

AA half-tracks would be cool even with the base movement. Not like Great Generals speed up when they get their jeeps anyhow. I wish I could use this mod, but my old PC can't seem handle it on my massive and filled up maps. At least not on max settings.

Edit:
G decided that the scout change is definitely happening.

Last edited:
Beta 4 has been posted!

I had some free time to mod this weekend, and FINALLY managed to resolve a lot of the remaining issues (especially with the Unit Pack for Mods). Let me know what's still screwed up. ;)

R.E.D. (and the other alternate scales) are not quite ready, but they're closer. Vox Populi is still problematic, but I've got a good dent in that too.

@ashendashin : Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep my eyes out for that update.

EDIT: Oops! I made a last minute change, and now some settlers are invisible. I'll put out a hotfix... soon.
EDIT #2: Fixed and reuploaded.

Last edited:
All links lead to the same file from November (or maybe it's a Mediafire bug). Can you, please, put the download to another file-hosting server such as Google drive or Dropbox?

Last edited:
Last edited:
You are very welcome. Sometimes file-hosting servers can be annoying.

Hi, just started looking into modding civ 5. Does this work with vox populi for now, or should I wait for the unit pack your are making for vox? Thanks :)

Does this work with vox populi for now, or should I wait for the unit pack your are making for vox? Thanks :)
It doesn't blow up your computer or anything, but a few of VP's new units are either invisible or use the spearman model (I forget which one 29b4 does; it's been one or the other).

Hi nutty:

Do you have any plans of getting more units from Snafusmith? I know you already added many of snafusmith's units, but I am not sure how many snafusmith's units have you installed to your mod . For example, I have seen many field guns in your modpack without unique skins, and Snafusmith's artillery pack could really help. : )

Btw, The mod pack Runs awesome and it encourages me to contribute.

@YINGCHENG : I'm using quite a few of snafusmith's units. As far as artillery, I'm using the French 155mm heavy artillery from his WWI artillery pack even though it doesn't quite match the era [and I suppose I can give it to North Africa and Southeast Asia as well], however Russia and Eastern Europe are using Wolfdog's ML-20. I'm not sure how to use any of the others (especially since Vox Populi is using the Russian 76mm for its Field Gun unit).

Let me know if you think I've missed anything else. I know zwei833 has posted some new ones that I've yet to add (e.g., the missionaries).

speaking of snafusmith's units, I think his early aircraft unit pack (https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civ5-ww1-aircraft-pack-8-aircraft.25355/) may add more diversity to your WWI aircrafts. I understand that you are trying to make your awesome modpack more historical oriented, but As far as I know most of WWI aircrafts (if not yet all of them) in your pack have not been modified or featured. So perhaps you may take Some of these skins into consideration as well.

Another unit mods that are coming up to my mind is Labriejp's project/----naval and air units pack. I believe you already touched both grounds of his work but many of units (e.g unique super carriers, although they seem way too huge) could be added to the pack for future worlds units. Hopefully I may help you a little bit by sharing my infor about these mods.

if you are still interested in adding more unique skins to units, I may provide you even more unit suggestions from custom civs mods, but I honestly do not know if you have time to add them because i don't know how hard it would be to add civ mods' units in terms of getting consent from modders and conversion. But if you ask, I would be willingly to track down civ mods and provide you quick check-outs.

In the end, I guess I might become too greedy for getting more unique units. I do not play CBP because it has compatibility issues to so many mods (including this one for sure so far), so I may not grasp the full picture of your mind regarding on the development of this mod pack. ThisI just want to tell you that if you want some testers or perhaps "researchers", you can count me in.

Always want to send my compliment to your efforts in the end. I understand that few elite modders wants to mod civ 5 now because this game seems outdated in their tastes. I am just glad that you are still determined to work on this modpack in spite of this situation. So keep up your work.

btw, The beta version 4 works fine so far in my game, I could not complain or ask anymore.

I use to use this mod originally:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91830423
Which is this mod here on Civfanatics.

Then I moved on to Ethnic Units, because it was slightly newer then yours at the time.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91830423&searchtext=ethnic

Now I am going to move on to using this mod version you have here. Now does yours basically have all the units in the Ethnic Units mod, plus more and some fixes?

Another thing, are you going to put this newer update Ethnic Diversity on Steam Workshop? I wouldn't of found this unless I stumbled across it and I am glad I did. I tend to browse through Steam Workshop more.

Anyways thanks for the hard work.

Now does yours basically have all the units in the Ethnic Units mod, plus more and some fixes?
E.D. has more than twice as many units as E.U., but, yeah, "basically". :mischief:

The first sheet of the included newunits.xlsm spreadsheet provides numbers and color codes the difference with Ethnic Units' coverage, if you need to be sold.

Spoiler Recap of R.E.D. Modpack vs. Ethnic Units vs. Ethnic Diversity :
...the latest v.28 semi-official beta of R.E.D. has quite a few more units than E.U. so it shouldn't matter. There's a few units that Ethnic Units has that R.E.D. doesn't, but that's by choice. Ethnic Diversity has
even more units, but like Ethnic Units is only vanilla scale.

Long answer to the historical question: R.E.D. stands for Regiment and Ethnic Diversity, which refers back to the previous Civ4 incarnation of this mod ("Regiments, Formations, Air Force, and Ethnically Diverse Units") which started out by combining several Civ4 mods, including Ethnically Diverse Units, and Regiments.

These mods all use basically the same set of available units. The mod creators don't make the models; they just compile the stuff that other talented people have shared.

Ethnic Units was based on an old version of this mod (v.11 if memory serves), before Gedemon switched to the SQL table format it uses now. Ethnic Units backed out the formation and scaling changes that R.E.D. always included. For a while it included more units, partly because Gedemon had stopped updating for a time, but also because he preferred not to (arguably) shoehorn in a unit model that was available but didn't quite fit. Gedemon eventually did make some updates that closed the gap considerably. I took over for a little while and my v.28 semi-official update eclipsed Ethnic Units by a wide margin since BrutalSamurai22 hasn't updated E.U. in years.

Ethnic Diversity is another fork that I introduced during one of Gedemon's absences, prior to Ethnic Units, but I discontinued it when Gedemon came back. I reintroduced it again recently ... adding even more units than v28. It's uses vanilla scale, but R.E.D. scale was planned to be added as a separate addon. However, that hasn't been completed yet and my time is extremely limited at the moment.

Another thing, are you going to put this newer update Ethnic Diversity on Steam Workshop?
I was going to, when I was done with all my planned features, but I should probably just do it at this point...

I am trying to install this and don't understand how to do it. I downloaded it and everything but none of the files look the same to me at all. I literally got all the DLC for Civ V two days ago and have not played in years so I have no idea what I am doing admittedly. But it doesn't appear very obvious to me either. I downloaded it and there are just three files that don't appear to be the same as any of my other files. Please help!!!

I am trying to install this and don't understand how to do it. I downloaded it and everything but none of the files look the same to me at all. I literally got all the DLC for Civ V two days ago and have not played in years so I have no idea what I am doing admittedly. But it doesn't appear very obvious to me either. I downloaded it and there are just three files that don't appear to be the same as any of my other files. Please help!!!

The largest file in the archive (~45mb) is the one with all the art. That's the base file.... the other two are supplementary patches: one changes the model scale and number of models per unit to vanilla (instead of the default, smaller R.E.D. scale) and the other is a compatibility patch for some mods listed in the OP.

The R.E.D. scaling and formations are cool, but it does somewhat marginalize the new artwork. Thus, the inclusion of an optional patch.

Top Bottom