#Euromaidan and #DANSwithMe - discussion on protests in Eastern Europe

That's certainly not true in the US. Voters keep falling for "cut taxes" and then wonder why the government is running a deficit.

Dude, can we keep US politics out of this thread? Not to mention that I totally disagree with your statement. And most Bulgarians do as well, and that's one of the reasons for the protests.

I think that they are around 10 already.

Most self-immolations were during the February protests but today a poor 21 years old man set himself on fire. Police claims he was "mentally unstable", but they've claimed it for every single self-immolator before. Most likely it was as a protest again.

Sorry to hear that, brother :(

Months ago there was one public self-immolation in front of the Greek parliament.

Not that the vermin inside cared.

Sorry to hear that, brother :(

Months ago there was one public self-immolation in front of the Greek parliament.

Not that the vermin inside cared.

Well, the most publicized self-immolation (the one of Plamen Goranov) is actually quite questionable. There are some questions regarding if he did indeed intended to set himself afire but given that his death was the final blow to the previous government (after it, Borisov resigned), the current government closed the case regarding his death and deny giving access to the investigation documents. If indeed it was more of a bad luck than an act of protest, it destroys the whole image of the previous wave of protests that the current government has created.

Also, Goranov did not protest directly against the government but against the TIM mafia organization in his town, Varna. His poster was directed at the mayor of Varna, and not against Prime Minister Borisov. Not that Borisov isn't a mafioso that somehow reached a statesman position but the previous wave of protests were, in my opinion, hijacked by the very people that are in power now. Also, the demands of the protests were quite in the tone of what Gazprom would like to hear, and a lot of protest "leaders" ended up being either elected as government officials, or as "leaders" of the "counterprotests" supporting the government that took place after the second wave of protests started.

Sad, sad world.

Really? I thought that the government resigned due to the heavy protests outside, or perhaps because the "new" powers needed someone else to hate.

Really? I thought that the government resigned due to the heavy protests outside, or perhaps because the "new" powers needed someone else to hate.

It wasn't JUST because somebody set himself afire, it was quite a complex situation - but Goranov's immolation played a crucial part in it, yes.

Top Bottom