1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

Travel eastwards into Indian sub continent ? Did that with my Byztantine game. :)

2. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Didn't want to. I wanted to conquer Europe, but the AI completely destroyed that dream.

3. Samez

Samez Emperor

How about going northeast? Starting with Crimea. Perhaps you can support some rebel groups in Lithuania/Poland to break them apart.
    You could also wait for the reformation to start conquering Europe :king:

4. Luckymoose

It is the late 1600s. The Reformation happened and failed. Austria formed the HRE and is PU'd with France. They protect all of Christendom, including Lithuania and Russia. I don't have much of a shot.

5. Samez

Samez Emperor

wow that's a really messed up situation.
    Perhaps you can get a royal marriage with Austria and get a claim on their throne? I know it's quite unlikely but would solve plenty of problems (it might even be worth the trouble converting to Christianity?)
    As bonefang mentioned you could go east to Persia/India.
    You could also go for Africa and take Swahili (they are already Muslim) have some goldmines and colonizable lands around. For this you will have to be fast as Spain already has started to colonize South Africa.

6. Luckymoose

1669: The Year Dreams Died

Spoiler :

7. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Habsburg dominance, ahoy!

8. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I've never seen the AI form the HRE in my games so far (5). :(
    But i had lucky nations turned off in my last 3.

9. Luckymoose

I always have lucky nations turned off. I have only ever seen the HRE form.

10. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I should post a pic of my current game as Denmark which i think got some intresting developments.
    From about about 1650 to 1700 Bavaria got REALLY PISSED for some reason and just conquered loads of HRE states tripling it's size.
    Also, i inherited GB and no one even contested that claim. They have almost 1/4 of the world ...
    I also inherited Savoy and the Palatinate.
    I just discovered that if you remove your provinces from the HRE you only piss off the country who has the emperor. If another country gets the emperorship things are just peachy, it's just the old country that's holding a grudge for 50 years i think. I just love pissing off Austria as much as possible. I hate Austria and France. (in every game so far)

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

:D

I see that the AI still doesn't care about declaring war to massive alliances (as long as it is allied to the human player).

12. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Actually, I've found them quite able this time around. Also in regards to alliance-tinkering; they don't declare war solely to punish the player anymore :)

I've found they aren't as aggressive as they could be though. My first game is as Burgundy and France has had several opportune moments to kick my butt. But they don't. When I'm down, they're usually busy elsewhere. Meanwhile I eat pieces of them little by little.

13. Luckymoose

My first game as France ended with continuous coalitions destroying me.

EDIT: Castile > Spain game, 1533. I inherited Hungary out of the blue. GG Europe. Portugal is my ally, and potential to PU soon. Portugal leads a PU with England. This could get hilarious.

Spoiler :

14. Haig

Haig Deity

Hola, do you thnk that EU IV would be easier to get into than III?

What are the main differences / "selling points" between III and IV ?

I always have wished that EU would be fully turn-based so that has been a turn off for me, havent really played the series even though I own EU III.

15. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

IV's cause-effect seems much clearer to me at least

16. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

EUIV seems like it would be easier to get into than III.

17. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

EU4 has a significantly better interface, less obscure tech and event effects and it requires less micromanagement because it is not as complex as EU3.

Other advantages of EU4 are a better trade system, a new engine that runs much, much faster + is more stable in multiplayer and better graphics.

As for being turn based - the day runs in one-day increments. If you slow down game speed enough you can basicially play it as a turn based game, plus you can pause it at any time.

18. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

the most important key here is "space" :D

19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Why is it "not as complex as EUIII"? I liked EUIII, and part of the reason was that there were many things to do. It still seemed dead boring by the late 1500's, cause i controlled most of Justinian's empire, Britain was all over the new world, Spain was dead, France was under control, and the rest were second tier powers anyway. So i don't think i ever continued an EUIII game past the 1600 date :/

What i mostly loved in EUIII is that it did have decisive battles, along with crucial zones of control. It did not matter what you controlled from enemy land, or vice-versa, neither how many soldiers were killed from either side. It mattered most of all if the other side could realistically keep on going, or if the tide had turned too heavily against it in the mainland or the overseas bit you were having armies in.

20. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Things to do in EU3:
    1. War
    2. Kill Rebels
    3. Wait for Infamy/WE/Truce to tick down
    4. Send guy to do thing; forget about said guy
    5. ???
    6. Twiddle thumbs
    7. Try to learn htf the merchant system makes any sense
    8. Learn how the battle mechanics work, stare at them and pretend like it matters that you know how it works
    9. Rant about Byzantium/Poland/[Insert pet-polity here] getting marginalized
    10. Complain about how EUIV significantly dumbed down the experience from EUIII
    11. Complain about how EUIII significantly dumbed down the experience from EUII
    12. Complain about how there's nothing to do when you're at peace
    13. Rant about how ahistorical the game is
    14. Rant about how the map makes no sense

Yes. There's ton to do in EU3