Fall Patch changes discussion thread

Question R.E. Japan: Isn't the problem just the same with the Zero? That you should have won by the time the Zero comes along?

Otherwise, all looks good. The other Germany-Japan bonuses all look interesting, and the other changes all look interesting.

This is gonna be a great patch! Fixes a bazillion things (including Germany and, to a lesser extent, Japan) and is just gonna make CiV even more fun!
Only thing I'm disappointed in is that we haven't yet heard as to whether or not it'll be possible to play non-Pitboss multiplayer with mods...if it isn't possible, I'm gonna be ticked.

I just played through a multiplayer game of this on a Pitboss server (standard/standard/continents/prince/Germany). I was playing alone though, just had the Pitboss server running on the other computer. Had the difficulty on low just to see how the AI was without massive bonuses. Here are some thoughts:

1. None of the AIs built more than about four cities. They all resembled human Tradition empires and there were no crappy arctic cities anywhere.

2. The AI seems fairly smart about shutting down Germany - the first proposal was an embargo of city states, which made the Hanse completely useless for a fair chunk of the game until I could repeal it. (also made my favourite Freedom tenet - Treaty Organisation - completely useless) This could have just been the AI picking a proposal at random though.

3. The AI was generally very peaceful. Genghis Khan started a couple of wars, but never really got anywhere.

4. It's still a crying shame that the AI never initiates diplomacy in multiplayer.

5. None of the social policy changes seem enough to make you want to deviate from Tradition/Consulates/Rationalism/Ideology.

6. Panzers are still worthless - by the time you get to that point in the game you're beelining stuff like Internet, space techs or aircraft tech. I won my game by cultural victory before I even built one.

7. The map replay at the end of the game is broken in Pitboss multiplayer.

I'll have to try a Pitboss game with multiple human players to test the stability of the dedicated server, but I'm hopeful - dedicated servers usually tend to be far better than peer-to-peer type.

Pretty sure that's just for remembering influence once a conquered city-state is liberated? The wording is not entirely clear though...

Yeah, it is quite unclear. If the threshold to become Allies after liberation is 45, what does "become Friends" mean?

Yeah, it is quite unclear. If the threshold to become Allies after liberation is 45, what does "become Friends" mean?

I'm assuming it refers to the state of relations to the CS before it was conquered:
-The civ who was Allied with the CS before it was conquered goes to 45 influence, meaning Friend status.
-Civs that were Friends with it before it was conquered get set to 15 influence, which is Neutral
-Civs that were neutral before go to 0
-The liberating civ gets set to 150 influence

This would make the most sense to me.

If you were allied with the city state when it was killed and somebody else libarates the city state, then you will get 45 (Friends) influence with the resurrected one.

Germany is kinda interesting now... But Japan is still completely worthless, sadly.
Also; No changes to the SP tree was a bit disappointing. :sad:

Dont want to complain to much though, its free and its fixing a lot of stuff, so thanks Firaxis!

Agree to all and Honor will still never be used.

Germany's UB seems to hinge on AI not choosing their favorite WC resolution of CS embargo. Might want to have routes to CS in place, buy Hanse, hard build Forbidden Palace. Or anything else that will ensure CS embargo never happens.

Japan better but still hurting other than cool colors and icon.

Must have been a ton of work and can't wait to play.

Multiplayer:
-Dedicated Server via SDK
-Additional refinement of hot-join system.
-Players joining multiplayer games now delay the transition to the staging room until they have completely registered with the game.
-Additional stability fixes.

This is what matters. The rest is just fluff. The most important line in this entire thread is: ADDITIONAL STABILITY FIXES

How about forget everything and just add more "ADDITIONAL STABILITY FIXES" until no more can be found. That's an update I would pay double for.

Has anyone played far enough to see if they finally fixed the aircraft attacking ground/naval units animation where the plane keeps circling around, and around, and around?

Agree to all and Honor will still never be used.

Germany's UB seems to hinge on AI not choosing their favorite WC resolution of CS embargo. Might want to have routes to CS in place, buy Hanse, hard build Forbidden Palace. Or anything else that will ensure CS embargo never happens.

Japan better but still hurting other than cool colors and icon.

Must have been a ton of work and can't wait to play.

Hanse is going to play really well with Treaty Organization and patronage.

Japan is already one of the top 5 more aggressive civs, esp. early in the game - and that's a good thing (they can spam archers and spears big time). I really hope they don't reduce their effectiveness in that area - lord knows we don't need any more passive, cultural civs.

I was thinking there is a small improvement for wide empires - More cities equal more aircraft bases...

ah I see the hidden buff to Papal Primacy now (pledge to protect+consulates+PP = perma ally until another civ gets more influence)

Congress AI: When an Embargo on an AI player is proposed, that player will always use all of its Delegates towards preventing the Embargo.

This could be an overpowered tactical move. Since the human player does most of the proposing, you could simply propose an embargo on the civ with the most delegates knowing that they will not vote for any other proposals. It doesn't matter if you have diplomats, you already know how they are going to vote and where ALL of their delegates will go to. If there are other proposals on the board, they would have an easier time of being passed.

Played for an hour or so with Washington, it was still largely the same Brave New World experience. I only encountered a rare "Next turn" hiccup and I was seriously thinking about sending a bug before it fixed itself by clicking another unit and pressing Next Turn and it unfroze. Severely disappointed that Washington and Gandhi weren't rebalanced, especially the latter needing buffs since the vanilla days. Anyhow I just felt like yup, this is still BNW. I applaud the programmers for speeding up the game with the BNW pre-release patch. However, this Beta's changes are too small to make me wanna come back to the base game.

Lately I've been playing more modded games as the community implements great ideas into the game.

-Capture Great People (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160457536)
Why is this needed? Already shown to be technically possible, balance wise it could be exploited but that's why you can just remove it if it's too broken.

-Antiquity Site Icons Filter (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169154575)
Why is this needed? Because it gives me a headache looking for an antiquity site with so many resource icons and units.

-Corporations (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171044751)
Why is this needed? It's a Civ 4 gameplay concept restored to mechanics of Civ 5 and works surprisingly well. I don't honestly expect them to add this to the game, but hey, who knows. :crazyeye:

-ICBM Nuclear Missiles (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=167311125)
Why is this needed? I'm a lazy American and I don't wanna manage an army over hexagonal tiles on a Standard/Large/Huge map size, at that point in the game you simply want a quick and easy way of waging war across continents with submarines and bombers. Nuclear Submarines and Missile Cruisers do exist, but can they co-exist with ICBMs? The answer as always is yes, more :nuke: power.

-Wonder Race (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=137765178)
Why is this needed? Informs the player that they're winning or losing a construction of a World Wonder. I realize this is somewhat cheating, but how about implementing it with espionage missions as a random occurrence?

-Cultural Capitals (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82471902)
Why is this needed? Fun diversion, balanced, and not gamebreaking. It's something to look forward to after certain amount of turns. And because the payoff is generally good and always changing as the game progresses, you'll look forward to the results instead of the agonizing 20 turn wait for the World Congress.

-Calypso's Colored Religious Icons (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=117064727)
Why is this needed? Because it's helpful on the eyes and is aesthetically pleasing to see different colored religions.

-The Sky is Falling, they finally reworked Tradition, Honor, and Commence. (Will never be fixed)
Why is this needed? They will never rebalance the vanilla social policies, especially not Honor. Why is this even here? I have no idea.

Look I'm a realist and I understand it's a business for 2K to work on post-game content for Civ 5 (as well as support). Hell, I wouldn't put it pass them to be jotting these down for the next Civ iteration down the line. Having said, FiraAxis has an exceptional track record with supporting their games well into their age out of good faith for the community. I understand that some of those suggestions require new artwork or more background calculations in an already complex game, I get that. How about meeting us in the middle with allowing achievements to be unlocked while still playing a modded game? If you do that, I couldn't careless about what you did to the vanilla game.

ah I see the hidden buff to Papal Primacy now (pledge to protect+consulates+PP = perma ally until another civ gets more influence)

They didn't change how much influence it takes to get to ally. What they did was change how much influence a CS "remembers" after they have been conquered and are liberated. So if you were at 200 with them and they get conquered but then liberated by Persia. You will now be at 45, not 200 again.

They didn't change how much influence it takes to get to ally. What they did was change how much influence a CS "remembers" after they have been conquered and are liberated. So if you were at 200 with them and they get conquered but then liberated by Persia. You will now be at 45, not 200 again.

:lol: I just reread it... omg...

AI Alex is gonna be so so screwed :lol:
1) Bribe a warmonger civ to DoW Alex
2) Alex's allied CS gets conquered
3) Liberate it either through DoW or trade deal :lol:
4) Alex's 400 influence has now been reduced by 355 :lol: thousands of gold spent on his part now "poofed"

Top Bottom