Fallen Enchantress

You don't understand the issue. Suppose you have 10 heroes in a tile. 6 in one group, 4 in the other. These are two 'armies'. No research will help for anything. Do you want to move one hero from a stack to the other? You can't. The only way to achieve this is to bring them all to a city, to separate some heroes from each stack, stuff them into the city, and then move them out. Then repeat with the other units.
Considering there is no 'undo', if you misclick and separate one unit from your stack when far away from base, your only solution is to reload. This, to me, is a showstopper. It's beyond lame.
You can click the head of the unit you want to separate from the group, and give it a movement order. It will make it quit the group, and it works anywhere on the land map.

Though I agree that the interface is VERY rough on the whole, and you really need to look for things to find them.
Still, I am confident in Stardock about improving the game. They have always been dedicated to what they have produced.

OK. How do you merge units?
You can click the head of the unit you want to separate from the group, and give it a movement order. It will make it quit the group
Yes, this allows to split armies.
How do you merge them?
That is not explained in the tutorial nor in the manual. Of it can be done, it's definitely not intuitive since I'm not the only one to believe it can't be done, so please enlighten me.

To merge units into armies (for example you want to move a spearman from Army A to B):
  • Position Army A and B side-by-side
  • Clik Army A
  • Click the Spearman's icon in Army A window
  • Moves the Spearman into Army A's tile. As long as the army slot is still available, the Spearman will join Army A.

That was very simple.

The one that being asked in FE forum is, how to combine two armies standing in same tile.

For example, Army A have its max units, and standing in the same tile as Army B. Then you want to move Archer out of Army A, and move a Spearman from Army B to Army A. You can not do this when they are still in the same tile. You have to do like what I have said before, moving one of them and then swap the units.

So I finished two addtional games with a conclave focus - it does indeed work quite well. Thanks to the repeatable techs there is indeed no real need for towns.

To merge units into armies (for example you want to move a spearman from Army A to B):
  • Position Army A and B side-by-side
  • Clik Army A
  • Click the Spearman's icon in Army A window
  • Moves the Spearman into Army A's tile. As long as the army slot is still available, the Spearman will join Army A.

That was very simple.

The one that being asked in FE forum is, how to combine two armies standing in same tile.

For example, Army A have its max units, and standing in the same tile as Army B. Then you want to move Archer out of Army A, and move a Spearman from Army B to Army A. You can not do this when they are still in the same tile. You have to do like what I have said before, moving one of them and then swap the units.

Thanks.
The impossibility to merge units in one tile was my main gripe.
However, your work-around doesn't work well. For instance, moving a unit of 6 onto a unit of 3 doesn't merge the stacks. You have to move each unit individually in order to merge them. Conversely, if you don't want to merge units that end in the same tile, I don't know how you do it, although splitting is easy.
In addition, it can be a waste of time. If you start your turn near an enemy and want to reorganise, you need an empty slot just to do that. If you're at a chokepoint, you lose a turn.
There's also no way to put more than 9 units in a city that I found. You can easily have more than 9 units in one tile however. This is weird. MoM and CtP2 both had far better interfaces than this.

Also, tactical combat is flawed. If you have for instance 2 moves, misclick and click one move short of where you wanted to go, you don't have 1 remaining move. That's annoying to say the least.

Annoying is to put it mildly. It is close to being broken, given how poorly the mouse interacts with the battle map in some cases.

I had lots of fun with my first game as Lord Relias.

It's great fun, you spend half the time building up your empire and half the time leveling your soverign.

It seems its very important to get a group with two soldiers and your soverign early so you can start leveling by killing monsters.

Thanks.
The impossibility to merge units in one tile was my main gripe.
However, your work-around doesn't work well. For instance, moving a unit of 6 onto a unit of 3 doesn't merge the stacks. You have to move each unit individually in order to merge them. Conversely, if you don't want to merge units that end in the same tile, I don't know how you do it, although splitting is easy.
In addition, it can be a waste of time. If you start your turn near an enemy and want to reorganise, you need an empty slot just to do that. If you're at a chokepoint, you lose a turn.
There's also no way to put more than 9 units in a city that I found. You can easily have more than 9 units in one tile however. This is weird. MoM and CtP2 both had far better interfaces than this.

As long as you have 9 units or less with a max size of 9, if you deselect the entire unit,Left click on any empty space, then click on the group, they should be combined into one army.

Taking armies out of towns is a pain in the butt, however.

A town can have 9 units plus any city defenses created. Cities create their own defensive units when the correct buildings are completed.

Tried it a bit - seems ok, but for the love of jebus couldn't they make the interface a bit more better!
Also, where is the "Next unit" button ?

All armies and units outside of a city have their portrait on the upper left part of the screen.

eh???

what sense does it make?
so you d never buy alice in wonderland cause the author was a pedophile?

I did not know this. But to answer your question: yes.

Crappy comparison though, as Brad Wardell still exists today and remains a creepy misogynistic middle-aged-man-child, self-admitted sexist, and deplorable person. Brad is a disgusting human being all around. Had no idea what laughable politics Brad keeps until recently which made me realize how much sense all of this makes.

Even before this stuff came out, I consider my Elemental War of Magic pre-order the worst gaming purchase of my life. Sure, Fallen Enchantress for free made that hurt a bit less but the game is really nothing special; Kael can only polish a turd so much. FFH is still the better game. If I could give back my free version of FE to Stardock for reasons: 'Brad is a piece of garbage' I would.

I'm glad Kael is moving up in the gaming industry but I will be purchasing nothing from Stardock as long as Brad stands to profit from it. Kael, the faster you ditch that degenerate, the better. You are too good for Stardock.

1.02 is out the door, here are the changes-

Content

Added edge scrolling in tactical
Added code so that we can have the same floating text system we have in tactical but on the strategic map. Currently this is only used for modifiers with a display name, such as Destiny's Gift to show which of its random effects are applied.
Added xml support for city enchantments to ignore the essence requirement

Fixes

Fixed an issue where animations can repeat when shrunk
Fixed the "Defeated an Army" Achievement
Fixed a bug where death ward would only work if you got killed by melee
Fixed a bug where upon loading a gamesave, total tapped shard counts were sometimes off
Fixed an issue that could cause AI Sovereigns to get duplicate strength traits
Fixed an order of operation issue where shrink/growth/giant form can have an odd effect with other attack multipliers
The Sword of Wrath now correctly gives hit points when it kills an opponent
Fixed an issue that can cause forests to look white when going from cloth map to world view
Fixed an issue where you could get floating waterfalls after casting Raise Land (fix from Parrottmath!)
Blood Curse is now castable on cities without a free essence
Fixed an issue that if you razed a city with immobilzed units in it they would be hidden under the FoW
Fixed an issue when units were killed by a backswing or counterattack
Improved end-turn performance significantly
Reduced memory consumption
Crash fixes

Balance

Dragonfly Bracers have a cost now
Water temples have the correct cost now
Removed the casting time from the Dirge of Ceresa spell
Titan's Imp now correctly summons at 8th level
Removed duplicate gildar rewards from the rat in the ruins quest
Reduced Horrific Wail to 2 damage per level (instead of 3)
Immune to magic no longer protects against special abilities like crushing blow and true strike
Increased the spell resistance on dragons
Increased the casting cost of Curse, Blindness, Growth and Shrink
Destiny's Gift can now be cast on your sovereign (as well as champions)
Destiny's Insight can now be cast on your sovereign (as well as champions)
Tweaked the shop value on several weapons
Waerloga the Dragonlord is much tougher
Dragons cant injure themselves with their breath weapons anymore
Mushrooms, Bread, Salted Pork and Tilda Herbs can only be used 1/battle per unit
Apothecary only sells Growth potions (they dont sell Healing Potions and Iru Elixirs anymore)
Alchemists sell Growth and Healing Potions (but they dont sell Iru Elixirs anymore)
Alchemy Labs sell Iru Elixirs, but they cost more

AI

AI Won't berserk units if they have less than 10 hp
Player created sovereigns get random traits based on their race when played by the AI
General AI improvements
AI interacts more often
AI smarter about its movement in tactical battles

UI

It no longer displays the hp/mana from killing an opponent before the attack
The game no longer displays duplicate spells on the unit info screen (for spells with a tactical and strategic version)
Credits window plays music
Custom faction unit and building colors are now retained between games

I was one of those who got the game for free (since I purchased the original Elemental game), so I've been giving it a go. I'm playing as a custom faction I created; Vestalla, based on a Civ I created for LeSage's Fairy Tale Mod for Civ4.

So far, its definitely an improvement on the original: I've built up a fairly respectable Kingdom at this point with a lot of resources. If anyone is interested, I will post screencaps.

Top Bottom