[Feature] Turkic Civilization

I don't mean to be 'that guy', but @Leoreth, do you have any idea when we can expect the final release for v. 1.16? I don't use Git, though honestly I've been increasingly tempted over the past few versions.

I don't mean to be 'that guy', but @Leoreth, do you have any idea when we can expect the final release for v. 1.16? I don't use Git, though honestly I've been increasingly tempted over the past few versions.
You really should use git, it's easy.

That's why I maintain the planned features list. Right now, only unplanned features B and C are left which I would say are both medium complexity. Plus general maintenance. No promises but before end of year could be possible.

Good to see you got it working!

Hello everyone. I am new here as a participant, but I have been following the advances that this wonderful mod has been taking for some time. I hope to contribute to its improvement. I have some things I observed during the game with the Turks:
  • The absence of Civilopedia text about the Turkic civilization, its leaders and also the unique unit and structure.
  • Another problem is the difficult of completing the first UHV of the Turks in the 600 a.C scenario. There is not enough time to find all the required improvements, make the marauders survive and, at end, pillage them. Most of the areas around have very few improvements. India, China, Persia, Mesopotamia, the balkans and the anatolian peninsula are very scarse. Maybe increasing 5 of 20 or the half of the improvements pillaged score in the scenario could make things less difficult.
  • The Oghuz unit is a few smaller than the horse archer (Sorry for the perfectionism).
  • Some cities in the core region cannot train settlers. Is this expected?
  • In the 1700 a.C, the AI Uzbeks begins with Bumin as leader and, with the progressing of the game, Alp Arslan and to end with Tamerlane (if they survive enought time for that).
  • Sometimes the AI have preference to settle in unnamed areas,(the north of Mongolia, for example) originating historical cities in wrong territories like Gaziantep in the title of the mongol city of Erkhüu.
  • In some of the games in 3000 and 600 a.C, I noted that the AI chooses the orthodox christianity as state religion.
Well, I think this is all for the time being. Sorry if this is not the right thread and/or if something of the reports have said before.

Some cities in the core region cannot train settlers. Is this expected?

This is due to the continental split somewhere in Central Asia. As a general game rule, until a civ researches Astronomy (at least on the old tech tree; I think it would be Exploration now), they can only build Settlers in cities which are on the same continent as their capital.

This was mainly meant to prevent Western European powers from cranking out Settlers in the Americas too early on: the Conquistador events would give you cities in the Americas before you could build Galleons to ferry Settlers across. For the most part, the rule tends to capture only the Moors, the Turks, Japan, the Vikings, Mali, and Ethiopia, as they are the only civs who regularly cross continental lines before Exploration is researched.

I'll also note that the mod does not use real world continents as the continental markers in the game. There's several continental lines drawn straight through landmasses, the two most notable being in the Sahara and somewhere in Central Asia. This is, from my understanding, both to support the above-noted rule and because the AI depends on continents in its behaviour.

In some of the games in 3000 and 600 a.C, I noted that the AI chooses the orthodox christianity as state religion.

Central Asia tends to be a clusterduck of religions due to their basically guaranteed proximity to five religious groups (Buddhism/Hinduism, Taoism/Confucianism, Islam, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism). The AI will basically just leap at the first religion that spreads to them and adopt it; the Mongols have similar behaviour. And since Central Asia has a lot of religions, you get a lot of variance in AI state religion. There's some historical backing for this - Central Asia has historically hosted Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Muslim, Nestorian Christian (which would be captured by Orthodoxy), and pagan states. The Turk civ broadly represent many of these states.

Hello everyone. I am new here as a participant, but I have been following the advances that this wonderful mod has been taking for some time. I hope to contribute to its improvement. I have some things I observed during the game with the Turks:
  • The absence of Civilopedia text about the Turkic civilization, its leaders and also the unique unit and structure.
  • Another problem is the difficult of completing the first UHV of the Turks in the 600 a.C scenario. There is not enough time to find all the required improvements, make the marauders survive and, at end, pillage them. Most of the areas around have very few improvements. India, China, Persia, Mesopotamia, the balkans and the anatolian peninsula are very scarse. Maybe increasing 5 of 20 or the half of the improvements pillaged score in the scenario could make things less difficult.
  • The Oghuz unit is a few smaller than the horse archer (Sorry for the perfectionism).
  • Some cities in the core region cannot train settlers. Is this expected?
  • In the 1700 a.C, the AI Uzbeks begins with Bumin as leader and, with the progressing of the game, Alp Arslan and to end with Tamerlane (if they survive enought time for that).
  • Sometimes the AI have preference to settle in unnamed areas,(the north of Mongolia, for example) originating historical cities in wrong territories like Gaziantep in the title of the mongol city of Erkhüu.
  • In some of the games in 3000 and 600 a.C, I noted that the AI chooses the orthodox christianity as state religion.
Well, I think this is all for the time being. Sorry if this is not the right thread and/or if something of the reports have said before.
No, this is the right place for this, and welcome to the forum!

Most minor issues (graphics and text) can be just as well taken care of by the community, generally I don't think my time is well spent writing civilopedia text. You're welcome to contribute if you want.

I'll look into the leaderhead issue.

This is due to the continental split somewhere in Central Asia. As a general game rule, until a civ researches Astronomy (at least on the old tech tree; I think it would be Exploration now), they can only build Settlers in cities which are on the same continent as their capital.

This was mainly meant to prevent Western European powers from cranking out Settlers in the Americas too early on: the Conquistador events would give you cities in the Americas before you could build Galleons to ferry Settlers across. For the most part, the rule tends to capture only the Moors, the Turks, Japan, the Vikings, Mali, and Ethiopia, as they are the only civs who regularly cross continental lines before Exploration is researched.

I'll also note that the mod does not use real world continents as the continental markers in the game. There's several continental lines drawn straight through landmasses, the two most notable being in the Sahara and somewhere in Central Asia. This is, from my understanding, both to support the above-noted rule and because the AI depends on continents in its behaviour.
The most important impact this has is that the AI will use ships to connect between different "continents" ... so to prevent the AI from walking from Portugal to India Asia and Europe need to be split into different continents.

How does this mess with the Turks exactly though?

Central Asia tends to be a clusterduck of religions due to their basically guaranteed proximity to five religious groups (Buddhism/Hinduism, Taoism/Confucianism, Islam, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism). The AI will basically just leap at the first religion that spreads to them and adopt it; the Mongols have similar behaviour. And since Central Asia has a lot of religions, you get a lot of variance in AI state religion. There's some historical backing for this - Central Asia has historically hosted Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Muslim, Nestorian Christian (which would be captured by Orthodoxy), and pagan states. The Turk civ broadly represent many of these states.
Right. It seems to me that Islam is still the most likely outcome for them but I like that you can get Nestorian or Buddhist Turks which was a historical possibility.

You're welcome to contribute if you want.

Thanks for the invitation ! I already have done some researches about the meaning and history of the turks. I just need some time to conclude my research and then I will bring them here. Some information that can help: Sword of Islam have Timur's pedia text. Perhaps it could be used for Tamerlane's pedia?

Sure!

Sorry for the delay, but here they are: Turks Civilopedia texts ! Any problems with the text, tell me.

During my researches about the Divan, I came to think in a suggestion that can be good for the unique building: give 1 slot for Stateman. As you can see here, the divan was a governamental body and/or the chief official of the government. That means that the building is perfect to generate great statesmen. It could help in the large expansionist process of the UHV and help the players and AI generate golden ages.

Attachments

• Turks Civilopedia.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 84
Thank you, this is great. I will read and integrate them at a later point. Please don't worry if it takes some time, I still have some bugs to take care of first.

Sorry, I forgot to put the text of the two turk leaders (Bumin Qaghan and Tamerlane) in the same document. Here they are.

Attachments

• Bumin Qaghan and Timur texts.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 57
I took the liberty to search soundtracks for the turks leaders too. Although I have separated the lines that I feel that combine with them, I'm sending the links with the complete sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdGaFw11YnPkKTY8BGkNgumY-iKCcb5Xh - RPG nomadic ambient

- Okna Tsahan Zam - Eejin Duun (Kalmyk Folk Song)

- Er Turan Turk Kani (Nomadic Old Turkish Music)

These sounds could fit well for Bumin and Alp Arslan. For Timur, I find these ones more adequate.

- Timur the great - Eastern/Arabic Music

If you want the parts I have selected, I can try send them in zip.

Edit: Here are the zip file with the soundtracks.

Attachments

• Turkic Leaders Soundtracks.rar
    5.8 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Thanks, I will give them a listen in a quiet moment where I have the attention for aesthetic aspects :) Can you just attach the zip file to a post here already? It might be a while until I get around to adding it and it would be a shame if I could not get a hold of you at that point.

I think I already said this in another thread, but I'll just reiterate.

Another suggestion: Let's make use of resources from other mods. SoI, for this case.

Bumin: suleiman_early.mp3 (Khwarazm diplo music)
Alp Arslan: Alp_Middle.mp3 (Seljuk diplo music)
Tamerlane: Tamerlane_Middle.mp3 (Timurids diplo music)

I think these 3 tracks are already great enough. I liked them back when I played SoI heavily, and I already associate the music to the specific civ.

I would Burmin's specifically to represent the culture of the traditional Turkic Atlatic People.

The link also has subtitles.

This second link for Alp Arslan , represents the start of the tranisition of Turkic Peoples closer to Persian culture, and was also used in RFCA

While not being combative, I frankly did not like the diplomatic soundtrack for Tamerlane as it beared little resembelence to the music that would had been played in
Tamerlane's time. Its strength is in creating a feeling of forbording ambience of any 'barbarian' but not of Tamerlane's Turks specifically.

I think picking a suitable song for Tamerlane could be somewhat tough, and earlier in this thread a patriotic Turkish song was proposed.
My suggestion is Sedaa Tai, because itntergrates central asian and persian music traditions. Which also describes Tamerlane himself- A turkic warrior (with some Mongol traditions) adopting Persian Civilization.

Top Bottom