[FfH II Art Team Blog]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by seZereth, May 19, 2007.

1. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Is the skeletal part of the rider just textures, or is it the model? I think it's amazing that you can see the back of the lower ribs there!

2. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

thanks,
    yea, the model of the ripcage is a deformed "hollow" cylinder (no bottom) and textured all around :) so, if looking from the right perspective you can see his spine and rips on his back, etc :) his spine is also only a folded plane with transparency ;)

3. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

I like the horseman, he looks cold and deathly. Also, the photoshop effects look pretty cool with all that blue mist. :D

4. icantcmyeye

icantcmyeye Peace Through Power

All I can say is :wow:

great work as always!

5. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Still working on getting this uploaded in my MODCOMP (new version will be 1.16), but here are the screenshots of seZereth's newest version of the HUD.

View attachment 183058

View attachment 183059

Even though I am cramping his style by messing with the artwork myself a tad bit, they are STILL amazing. And we've discovered a few more tricks along the way to make the next versions more impressive yet I think.

Since I know a lot of people play at higher resolutions, you ought to be fairly pleased with what you see right now, but the improvements for the future have a lot to do with the higher resolutions (removing the need to stretch images to fit the new Resolution)

seZ: If you want, I can remove the solid background from behind the minimap. Never mentioned that before, and seeing what you did for the End Turn button makes me think that you might be interested in making your own border & backdrop for that as well. Also, my appologies for any white borders I didn't remove, and bigger appologies for clipping your edges when attempting to remove the ones which I did ;)

EDIT: Sorry, upload keeps getting interrupted since my connection is not stable right now. Wanted to ask if anyone knows how I can ensure that the text under the Tech Bar stays on top of the HUD. It was always hidden beneath it until I took that screenshot, then it was miraculously on top. I was pleasantly surprised. But now I am testing it again and the text is once more UNDER the HUD...

EDIT 2: Ok, the text moves to the top when I change my resolution. So there is a workaround, but I still need to find the code to make it do that automatically :(

EDIT 3: New Version is uploaded now. You can get it here

6. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Ars is looking truly awesome. I'm dearly looking forward to the rest of the horsemen; Stephanos is getting really tired of the Mardi Gras look, I'm sure. And I shudder to imagine what you'll do with Yersinia... but it's a good kind of shudder.
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to change my desktop background.

7. smjjames

smjjames Emperor

yea, Yersina is basically just the upper torso of a skeleton (or the Sheaim swordsman, which is a skeleton), so that one needs something suitable to represent pestilience/disease/plague.

Maybe add a sickly green aura or something to Yersina's new look?

8. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

seZereth, Xienwolf, about the new hud, :wow::faint:

9. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

NOW WERE TALKING! that new HUD is looking good guys :) but honestly im not a huge fan of the wax seal around the end turn button, it seems a little out of place amongst the old burnt paper and books.

10. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

perhapes make the seal look more ragged and old and used?

11. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

The new interface looks cool, but in my opinion it is a bit "glarey". Maybe it could be made less bright and colourful so it doesn't distract too much attention from the info over it?

12. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

I just re-uploaded the Modcomp. I messed up the wax seal when I uploaded the first time. In-game now looks like on this screenshot. I also fixed a problem with the Religions/Corporations banner not being on top of the City Name Book like it was designed to be.

13. Gabriel21

Gabriel21 Warlord

This horse has eyes, but rather dark ones. Do you think red eyes, maybe with rays coming out of it would strengthen the impression?

The rider is impressive!

14. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Blimey, a guy steps away for a few days and look what gets posted :D

I totally agree with nikis-knight, making him look more skeletal was a great touch. Skeletons with opaque torsos and backbones thicker than their legs kind of annoy me.

Also looking at the head, do I detect some inspiration from Paul Kidby's conception of the Discworld Death?

15. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

Wow, I didnt intend it, but now that you mention it... i was wondering what it reminded me of... hehe, must have been subconsciously influenced, or it is pure coincidence (but then a very nice one) :D havent read discworld for some years now.

16. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

I dunno about red eyes. If you're going to color the eyes or make them glow, the ice-blue color seems more appropriate.

17. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I concur.

I think I can make out the horse's black eyes in the larger, ImageShack pics, but the CGPortfolio pics don't seem to have eyes, or even shadows that seem to follow contours that would indicate that there are eyes hiding behind that piece of bone.

Red eyes would be horrible, but eyes that match those of the rider could be quite nice.

18. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

19. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Agreed, no red eyes, maybe Hollow, Empty blue eyes.

20. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

HAHAHAHA binky HAHAHAHAHA