[FfH II Art Team Blog]

Attached is what I've managed thus far for the Fangorn style Ancient Forests. I couldn't get your mesh to split into the 4 pieces I needed using what I know in NifSkope, so I just swiped the DDS and applied it to some resize/relocated basic trees. The overall feel seems the same to me, but I haven't spent long with the base Fangorn to say that with any real clout. End result though is that the forests are very distinct from their neighbors and behave properly with coasts, rivers, roads and most improvements.

The trees look great but they are to tall and thick. You can't see the units in them. Is it possible to less blocking version?

Attachments

• Ancient.jpg
    Ancient.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 316
I noticed that as well, but figured that it was decent enough with roads in them, and by the time anyone has many AFs they ought to have a fair amount of roads. I had made them larger on purpose so that more than just the color set them apart from the normal forests.

Yeah, its fine IMHO. Some may complain at first, but as long as the red enemy in territory circle is apparent you right click+look before you move into AF at war it should be find. It would also give the AI an advantage :p

Well, I went in and fiddled with things to get the units a bit more visible. I'm not sure if they still look the same as I went through quite a few different ideas on how to change it before coming back and doing it the easy/dirty way. While I was in there I happened to make a nice new Jungle which I'll submit to Vehem for Fall Further's Deep Jungles.

Screenshot is Jungle / Forest on top and Deep Jungle / Ancient Forest on bottom. I placed a small road, a bit of river, an Ancient Tower, Goody Hut, Axeman and Goblin in each to show how they worked with other objects for the most part.

View attachment 185777

I think that unit-height trees are a staple of ancient forest, but when properly patterned they can obscure the units, maybe 1/4(?) of the trees could be super sized - no Yggdrasil, but near-axeman height,

When I noticed the new Horseman of the A. graphics I started playing with the "Last Days" option on. :goodjob:

Put together a little picture to try to give people a little flavor on each of the civs in a more friendly way than just a list of civ names. I wish I could get this screen to be the one you pick your civ from in game.

Very nice, I like it. The Sidar picture doesn't really seem to fit them though, it looks a bit too demonic to me. Also, the Kuriotates' description, 'Children of Eurabatres' doesn't really tell new players anything about the civilization.

Put together a little picture to try to give people a little flavor on each of the civs in a more friendly way than just a list of civ names. I wish I could get this screen to be the one you pick your civ from in game.

IS that on the website?
Never quite noticed the staggering. Lots of Evil, few Good. Got a high res version I can use for the manual?
It's 7/7/7, except one good god/civ/sphere fell to evil.

Very nice pictures Kael - I also wished that it could serve as a civ-picker. Maybe Firaxis can patch it in? :D

Looks great. And each icon works as select gadget.

I think Im going to go for a "Pick Your ..." series. The above would be the Pick your Civilization, another layout would be Pick you Religion and the final one would be Pick your Mana.

It may help entice new players, and it does a good job of reflecting what FfH2 is in few slides. Need to work a bit on a few of the picks and some of the descriptions though. I shrunk the real graphic down for the above post which is why the text is hard to read.

Those are far too lovely to waste. Could they display during the loading screen instead of Buboes? I love Buboes, but he's frankly been surpassed in artistry by some of the recent work (like Ars, and these screens).

Is there any reason you couldn't cycle though several pictures while loading, like the game did before BtS? Then you could have all the "pick your" series there, along with all the horsemen, etc.

Top Bottom