FfH2 0.23 Bug Thread

With .23c:

The scout bonus against animals (+50%) appears to be being counted twice. My unupgraded scout (str 2) attacking a wolf pack (strength 3) in an emperor level game displayed combat odds of: 3.00 vs 2.00. So the scout received a 50% boost and the wolf took a 33% hit (2/3) in strength.

But wait, there's more:
-Warriors are getting their +25% city defense when attacking out of a city.
-Both the attacking and defending unit get +40% when attacking across a river.
-Bonus vs. barbarians on lower difficulties is applied twice just like the scout bonus.
-I'm sure there are others as well, but those are the only ones I've really looked at.

After a bit of testing this is what i have found:

Mouseover combat window:
-the inappropriate boni are not listed
-they are represented in the effective strengths of the units
-the combat odds are sometimes calculated correctly (despite the incorrect effective strengths)
-the combat odds are sometimes calculated incorrectly (but are consistent with the incorrectly listed effective strengths)

Combat log:
-the inappropriate boni are not listed
-they are not represented in the effective strengths of the units either
-the combat odds are sometimes calculated correctly (and are consistent with the correctly listed effective strengths)(this matches what was listed in the mouseover combat window)
-the combat odds are sometimes calculated incorrectly (despite the correct effective strengths)(this matches what was listed in the mouseover combat window)
-regardless of the odds listed (correct or incorrect) combat occurs with the correct damage dealt and correct chance to hit

That last point means that despite all the miscalculation this appears to be a cosmetic issue (albeit one that will cause incredible confusion), since the actual mechanic of combat appears to be unaffected.

mindlar (or anyone else that wants to help confirm this), if that happens again check the combat log window. The scout and the wolf pack should each be hitting each other for 20hp, which is the case when relative strengths are 1:1. (they should also hit each other an equal number of times (roughly) but you wont be able to see this in the course of a single battle).
Another easy situation to check is an unpromoted warrior in a city attacking an orc spearman, the warrior should appear to get an incorrect +25%, but the combat odds should still show 20hp damage being done per hit, thus meaning 1:1 effective strengths.

One last note about the combat log: the listed odds are from the perspective of the attacker, while the list of boni are from the perspective of the defender.

im experincing a CTD with the sheaim every single time i play as them, i think the catalyst is my planar gates spawning a mage type demon as i have seen chaos maruders spawned with no problem and the game always crashes around the same time im expecting these units to appear.....

i cant post any info as as soon as the python error msg pops up in game it crashes to desktop.

im using windows vista if its any help and its all the latest versions of everything im running.

im experincing a CTD with the sheaim every single time i play as them, i think the catalyst is my planar gates spawning a mage type demon as i have seen chaos maruders spawned with no problem and the game always crashes around the same time im expecting these units to appear.....

i cant post any info as as soon as the python error msg pops up in game it crashes to desktop.

im using windows vista if its any help and its all the latest versions of everything im running.

We did have an error with them back in version 0.22. Please make sure you are running 0.23.

CvUnitAI::AI_improveBonus
Code:
/*FfH: Added by Chalid AiManaAndBonus 06/10/2006*/
//											iValue = 10000;
											iValue = 5000;

if (!isHuman())
                                            {
                                                iValue /= 100;
                                                iValue *= max(0, (100-GC.getLeaderHeadInfo(GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).getPersonalityType()).getImprovementWeightModifier((ImprovementTypes) GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getImprovement())));
                                            }
                                            iValue -= GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRandNum(4000, "AIBonus");
//FfH: End Add
In short for AI, this is 50 * (100 - the appropriate ImprovementWeightModifier from the XML) + (0-3999)

The problem is that a positive ImprovementWeightModifier will tend to give you lower values, whereas a negative one will tend to give you higher values. This appears to be the inverse of the desired effect (and the inverse of how the XML seems to be set up).

Suggested fix:
Code:
/*FfH: Added by Chalid AiManaAndBonus 06/10/2006*/
//											iValue = 10000;
											iValue = 5000;

if (!isHuman())
                                            {
                                                iValue /= 100;
                                                iValue *= max(0, (100+GC.getLeaderHeadInfo(GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).getPersonalityType()).getImprovementWeightModifier((ImprovementTypes) GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getImprovement()))); // Smarter Orcs Mana build fix.
                                            }
                                            iValue -= GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRandNum(4000, "AIBonus");
//FfH: End Add

I just patched up with the new C patch from v.23 and now ALL of my old saved games crash the the first stage of loading

In 0.23 patch c the demons altar does not give the option to sacrifice any units in the city. Tried ritualist, scout, merc, imp, and settler. Vanilla game(new with 0.23c). Just found out you could play infernal so was very excited.

Also, I don't seem to get any manes after the first few turns, is it because I am building settlers? I've attacked and killed as well as lost several units but no new manes(so all my cities are at 3 except for the few that got some manes originally). Have not razed any cities though, if that is the only way manes are created.

Save attached. City of Kador has both Demons Altar and Soul Forge and just using delete to kill a unit gives no research nor anything else. Many other cities have demons altar as well.

Great game by the way, and I just found a whole new level of play with the Infernal and Mercurians. Great replayability.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks,
--Joseph

Attachments

• Joey AD-0154.Civ4SavedGame
    388.5 KB · Views: 54
You only get Manes when evil civs units or population dies. (Or units with the Veil or OO promotion I think)

after killing a dovellio beast man with my elephant and resting them i found i could no longer attack cities or people with it i even had it declare nationality yet it could attack anything.

Don't know if anybody else caught it or if it is a bug but I found something: Bannor Training Yard doesn't give the +1 happiness when the civic nationhood is picked as opposed to the standard training yard which does.

You only get Manes when evil civs units or population dies. (Or units with the Veil or OO promotion I think)

Yeah, that's what I read. But how about my units(Infernal, Veil promotion) I do not seem to be getting them. I thought it was 50/50 though or am I mistaken?

Thanks,
--Joseph

Hmm, I can't figure out why I can't build a human cage with my human slave in this city. It has a freak show and carnival and no human cage yet. I've done it once already.:confused:

I also had a game hang up when attacking with a pair of lightning elementals.

Attachments

• nocage.Civ4SavedGame
    204 KB · Views: 51
It is a known bug that HN allows a unit (even a unit that cannot usually attack, like an Elephant) to attack multiple times, but only if you are still at peace with your victims.

Yeah, that's what I read. But how about my units(Infernal, Veil promotion) I do not seem to be getting them. I thought it was 50/50 though or am I mistaken?

Hmm, where they alive? (i.e. not undead or demons)

Don't know if anybody else caught it or if it is a bug but I found something: Bannor Training Yard doesn't give the +1 happiness when the civic nationhood is picked as opposed to the standard training yard which does.

What patch is your 0.23?

Patch "a":

4. Nationhood correctly gives +1 happiness with Bannor Training Yards.

sorry if it's known, but I can't accept this as correct:

before attacking

what happened

now, I don't want to attack the pack as there is another pack nearby. so I tried defending 4 times, just sitting in my tile and waiting for the pack to attack me. FOUR times. and my poor scout was killed every time.

if it's alright, I don't think it should be THAT easy to win and THAT easy to lose as well....

the 1.9% is for the wolfs odds, that means its easier to defend (you've got 98.1% odds of winning on defense).

if you lost, well that happens sometimes, but you had a better chance of winning that particular fight.

edit: if you dont want the same thing to happen on a reload, make sure you've checked "Random seed on reload" or the same thing will happen every reload since it uses the same random numbers.

Top Bottom