1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 0.23 Bug Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Jul 13, 2007.

1. w. irving

w. irving Chieftain

It seem that in some situations the bonus from the Combat I-V is not being applied to defensive strength.

My Combat V scout was going to attack a Combat III bear. However the mouse-over combat odds window only had the '+100% strength' for my scout and not the expected '+60 strength' for the bear. Instead of attacking I waited for the bear to attack me. It did and killed my scout (no surprise there). However when i checked the combat log the bear's '+60% strength' had been calculated while my '+100% strength' had not.

I'm sure I've noticed this in other cases as well, but I'm also sure I've seen the odds calculated properly.

All these cases have been version 0.23a

2. GeeJo

GeeJo Flibbertigibbet

The "Tower of Mastery" video seems kinda like it was supposed to go with the Altar victory - the "following in the footsteps of a god" bit along with a very Altar-like slab pictured at the start. Am I seeing the correct video, or has there been a switcharound?

3. lordslumber

lordslumber Chieftain

@ Kael - #56

Oh well. Thx for the note.

4. Mr. Square

Mr. Square Chieftain

Not a bug as such, but on the main mod download thread you have the changelog link head to the 0.22 changes and not the 0.23 changes.

5. Kael

Kael Deity

Bonus vs animals is so confusing becaise it isn't applied like a bonus to the units strength like everythign else. Instead its applied as a modifier to the other units strength. It doesn't show up in the combat odds, but your opponents combat vlaue should be lower than you would expect.

For example when I go to attack a bear with a scout I get 20% combat odds (2.0 for the scout vs 2.77 for the bear) and it doesn't show any modifiers. Well my Scout is correctly a 2.0, but the bear should be a 5.0 if its unmodified. Instead the scouts +50% vs animals is lowering the bears strength from 5 to 2.77.

Its confusing and if its like this after the BtS conversion I may do something to have it should up in the combat modifiers.

6. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

The same is true with City Raider I think. But I'm not sure...

7. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

is this because your strength is the same as your enemies but you have only half your health?

health has a big impact i think

8. Mithrus

Mithrus Warlord

Ok, combat is borked to h**l n this version (love everything else though). It seems that the combat modifiers are not getting calculated right. As far as I can determine, some or all of the defensive boni and offensive boni are being applied against the wrong target. I am not sure which ones are, but I've lost a significant number of fights where as an attacker I had 100% chance of success, but when attacked (which would imply my chances are that much better), my unit consistently was killed.

It looks like instead of the defender gaining a defensive bonus, the attacker takes a penalty of equal %. So if you have 2 strength 4 units against each other, and one is in a forest, the fight seems to be 4 versus 2 instead of 6 vs 4. The same might be true for offensive boni, but it's difficult to test. The net result is that fights that should be won most of the time (based on the odds %) are often lost.

9. Kael

Kael Deity

Patch "b" is linked in the first post. It won't break save games and it contains the following fixes:

1. Correctly hooked up the movie for Purge the Unfaithful.
    2. Correctly hooked up the Domination and Cultural victory movies.
    3. Fixed the CtD when attacking with a Skull Catapult.
    4. Fixed Angel upgrades.
    5. Fixed the CtD caused by Nature's Revolt.
    6. Reversed the Altar and Mastery videos, I had them backwards.

10. w. irving

w. irving Chieftain

This thread explains how combat odds are calculated:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137615

Basically the attacker is only effected by her promotions that directly affect her strength (Combat I-V, Stigmata, Poison, etc.)
    All other bonii are summed together and either applied as a bonus or penalty to the defender.

11. Fritzworth

Fritzworth Chieftain

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature - got the 'Orthus' notice and then found him a little later sitting on a village. He never moved off, even when I moved a stack of units right next to him and left it there for a few turns. I finally moved a settler a few spaces away, founded a city, popped it with a disciple -- and Orthus (and his axe!) vanished along with the village. I did get a worker for all my efforts, though. ..fritz..

12. Mithrus

Mithrus Warlord

Using 23a, looks like swordsmen are strength 3 (amurites replacement for axemen), should be 4 (otherwise, same as a warrior now)

13. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

In .22 I've seen Orthus spawn on a goodie hut and be assigned guard duty there. He never moved as far as I know. I later abandoned that game though.

Having barbs guard goodie huts, barrows, dens, etc. instead of going forth to pillage and raze never made sense to me. ;)

14. Pocus

Pocus Warlord

This is normal. You have the same combat value as the other, so in case of full health you would get a 50-50 situation. But as you have less health, you will be able to sustain less hits, so the code take that into account and calculate this 36% chance.

Health as two impacts: lovering strength, and lowering the amount of hits you can sustain. Said differently, a warrior with 80% health don't have 80% of his fighting abilities, but 80x80 = 64% ...

15. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

Svartalfar workers are marked "Elven", but are not "Elven Workers" and cannot construct Elven Farms/Cottages.

When they are taken as slaves however (slavery civic), they are "Elven Slaves" and gain the ability to build the Elven improvements.

Result: Svaltafar can't produce the special improvement types, but a race attacking them can use the captives to produce those improvements.

16. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

Precisely - you have a 50-50 chance to win each combat round, but need to win more than the defender to achieve victory, making your overall chance of winning less than 50%. EDIT: Gah, missed this page.

17. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

I've seen this too, my unexperienced warrior vs a Adept with combat III was showing up as 3.0 vs 3.0 and 50% chance.

18. LordGek

LordGek Prince

So are Elven Farms and Elven Cottages functionally different from there "non-elven" equivalents? Is this just a minor flavor annoyance or are elves being denied some of their key racial benefits?

19. TheBoatman

TheBoatman Warlord

They can be build in forests. And, please... :

20. TemporalAnomaly

TemporalAnomaly Timelord

Ring of Fire can bypass "cannot declair war!" as in:

1. 10 turn "unbreakable" peace treaty
    2. Always peace game setting (exploitable!)