FfH2 0.23 Bug Thread

As long as we are on HN units, I have noticed a few times that pirates have been attacking my garrisoned troops in cities.

In three different 0.23 games now, I have gotten the "you have circumnavigated the globe!" message and reward (+1 movement of ships) when I have clearly not circumnavigated the globe. It may be tied into swapping world maps with an AI who has mostly circumnavigated, thus providing me with a world map that has a clear circumnavigation path -- but I could be wrong about that. ..fritz..

Yup this happened to me in vanilla a few times and from the same thing, trading maps.

I suspect the HN stuff will be fixed in BtS, given that Firaxis have built it into the epic game. Not a lot of point re-reporting old issues with it until then.

Using 23a, looks like swordsmen are strength 3 (amurites replacement for axemen), should be 4 (otherwise, same as a warrior now)

This one is nasty. I just built a load of swordsmen as the Amurites only to discover that they were the same strength as my warriors.

Playing an 0.23 game and successfully built the Pact of the Nilhorn. However, one turn after the giants showed up, I got a notice that I could "no longer keep building the Pact of the Nilhorn" and got ~300 gold pieces back. The giants stayed around, though as I sit here I realized that I didn't check the city to see if the PotN was still listed as one of its wonders.

Were you building the PotN in more than one city? If so, the city that didn't finish it would be reimbursed.

Some movies are not playing. The ones that didn't work for me are: forbidden palace, heroic epic, national epic, all four magic towers.
When installing media pack I noticed that some "basic movies" (slideshows without the pack) are wrongly named. There are Shrineof the Champion.bik, and Shrine of the Champion.bik (the second one being the proper one 2 Mb) and Temple of Temporance.bik, and Temple of Temporence.bik (again the second one proper one 2.7 Mb).
And finally Auric Ulvin of the Illians refused to adopt any state religion. I couldn't also force him to convert via the diplomacy. No option at all. As if he is agnostic (which he isn't right?).
I think that's all for now. ;)

Got this message after having Losha feed on a bloodpet. I think this was caused by her having a negative move rate after attacking a city on a desert because after feeding once, she still had no movement points but after feeding again, she regained a movement point and no message appeared.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 189
I was playing on occ, and found out I can get more then 1 city, through use of the restore city spell.
Is there a way to disable that spell when playing an occ?

Playing an 0.23 game and successfully built the Pact of the Nilhorn. However, one turn after the giants showed up, I got a notice that I could "no longer keep building the Pact of the Nilhorn" and got ~300 gold pieces back. The giants stayed around, though as I sit here I realized that I didn't check the city to see if the PotN was still listed as one of its wonders.

Were you building the PotN in more than one city? If so, the city that didn't finish it would be reimbursed.

Nope, just in one city. Is it even possible to try to build it in multiple cities? ..fritz..

Amurite Swordman stayed at strength 3
Pyre Zombi stayed at strength 3 (+1)

is this because your strength is the same as your enemies but you have only half your health?

health has a big impact i think

This is normal. You have the same combat value as the other, so in case of full health you would get a 50-50 situation. But as you have less health, you will be able to sustain less hits, so the code take that into account and calculate this 36% chance.

Health as two impacts: lovering strength, and lowering the amount of hits you can sustain. Said differently, a warrior with 80% health don't have 80% of his fighting abilities, but 80x80 = 64% ...

Precisely - you have a 50-50 chance to win each combat round, but need to win more than the defender to achieve victory, making your overall chance of winning less than 50%. EDIT: Gah, missed this page.

GAH !! No, no, no... how can you get it so wrong ? Combat odds are just some confusing and tricky stuff introduced in some Vanilla patch, I honestly think we would have fared better without ! Strength value is what came before and combat odds are based on it, so a 5.2 vs 5.2 can't possibly mean 36% chances. The only thing combat odds take into consideration that strength doesn't are first strikes, because they are the only promotion that doesn't affect strength but affects a fight (in Vanilla). If you took like 2 nanoseconds to look at the screen you would see that his unit's base strength is 5, with combat 5 that means 10 strength but he's got 52 of 100 HP, so 52% of 10 = 5.2 which is the strength listed and that correctly takes into consideration the fact that his unit is injured, and so does the combat odd.
I think a reason for that strange combat odd could be the +1 Fire Strength from Orthus Axe not calculated as offensive strength. In this case the strength would be 4.16 vs 5.20 which could very well give a 36% chance.

The gameflood media pack download is broken currently, anywhere else I can get it?

EDIT: its working again

GAH !! No, no, no... how can you get it so wrong ? Combat odds are just some confusing and tricky stuff introduced in some Vanilla patch, I honestly think we would have fared better without ! Strength value is what came before and combat odds are based on it, so a 5.2 vs 5.2 can't possibly mean 36% chances. The only thing combat odds take into consideration that strength doesn't are first strikes, because they are the only promotion that doesn't affect strength but affects a fight (in Vanilla). If you took like 2 nanoseconds to look at the screen you would see that his unit's base strength is 5, with combat 5 that means 10 strength but he's got 52 of 100 HP, so 52% of 10 = 5.2 which is the strength listed and that correctly takes into consideration the fact that his unit is injured, and so does the combat odd.
I think a reason for that strange combat odd could be the +1 Fire Strength from Orthus Axe not calculated as offensive strength. In this case the strength would be 4.16 vs 5.20 which could very well give a 36% chance.

Yes, but you have to realize that the 52 HP guy would die in 3 hits, while the 100 HP guy would die in 5. (As it's 5.2 vs 5.2, they would have 50% chance each combat round and do 20 damage each round)

@ onedreamer.

actually, they are correct.

the attacker's effective strength of 5.20 was, in fact, calculated as
[5 + (5 * 1.00)] * [52 / 100]
as you said, thus taking into account the wounded nature of the unit

from this the relative effective strength of the units is determined to be 5.20:5.20; this 1:1 ratio means that in every round of the upcoming battle both the attacker and the defender have a 50% chance of hitting the other (those percentages are mutually exclusive: there are no rounds where they both hit each other and no rounds where neither of them hit the other)

further it also determines the amount of hp damage any given hit will inflict. in the case of a 1:1 ratio both the attacker and the defender will deal 20 hp of damage per hit.

therefore, for the attacker to win he must hit the defender 5 times (defender has 100 hp). however for the defender to win he only needs to hit the attacker 3 times (attacker only has 52 hp). so, even at equal odds of landing a blow, and equal damage done per blow, the defender has an advantage.

i believe you are correct that in the initial release a unit was always considered to have 100 hp at the beginning of combat (after effective strengths were calculated) rather then their actual hp. were that still the case the fight would indeed be 50/50 as both the attacker and the defender would need to land 5 blows to kill the other.

under the current circumstances Pocus is correct in saying that being wounded has a double impact on combat.

edit: yes. well. you summed that up nicely Grey Fox.

Nope, just in one city. Is it even possible to try to build it in multiple cities? ..fritz..

If you cancel your build in one city. then start it again in a different city, the first city will get money back when the second one finishes.

I think the barbarian trait is broken.

In my first .23 game and the last 5-6 .22 games I noticed the civs with the barbarian trait (Jonas, Sheelba, and Charadon) went to war very early with the barbarians.

In the past you would see them at war with the barbs only if the 50% pt rule goes into effect. Now, they seem to declare war on the barbs as soon as they can.

IMO, this is like throwing away a trait. They still get the -10% hit to Research. Yes, they can build up XP by being at war with the barbs, but at what cost?

I've found that after they declare war, they are usually one of the first ai civs to be destroyed.

While you might think that it is good for the human player when they declare war on the barbs as the barbs have one more civ to pick on, when they are destroyed that logic doesn't work.

Can they be 'forced' to remain at peace with the barbarians for a certain period of time or until the 50% rule kicks in?

@ onedreamer.

from this the relative effective strength of the units is determined to be 5.20:5.20; this 1:1 ratio means that in every round of the upcoming battle both the attacker and the defender have a 50% chance of hitting the other (those percentages are mutually exclusive: there are no rounds where they both hit each other and no rounds where neither of them hit the other)

further it also determines the amount of hp damage any given hit will inflict. in the case of a 1:1 ratio both the attacker and the defender will deal 20 hp of damage per hit.

I don't think so. From my testing in Vanilla it's not the actual strength which is taken into consideration when calculating damage, this is why we were doing so much better without combat odds, they only add confusion. It would be interesting if Nikis still has a save to look at the damage.

I thought that warlords+patches fixed the combat odds problems. I think they even included the first strikes in the odds calculations, IMHO.

I could very easily tell the difference in calculations when I went from playing warlords to FfH (or vanilla civIV).

Now when we go to BtS we will start to see accurate representation of combat odds in FfH.

Gameflood is much, much faster than the old host, so look it as an improvement.

Top Bottom