1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 Game Balance Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Grey Fox, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I'm not saying that it is unbalanced - just suggesting a nerf in case of the powers that be deciding that it is.

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

the way I see it, the Calabim are just fine. it's many of the other civs that need a boost. Doviello, who said doviello? that's just an example :lol:

3. CurseUppl

CurseUppl The bureaucracy expands.

What makes Ffh great is that the game doesn't strive to be balanced (an impossible feat anyway).

Leave the Calabim be or before we know it there'll be nerfs left and right and we end up with Beyond the Sword with fantasy models (boring).

If anything, boost some of the other civs.

4. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

While thats fine for beating up CPUs, hasted melee units on roads have a longer range than fireballs. You have no way of preventing Hasted Axemen from smashing your Firebows. Isn't the defensive strength of bronze firebows 5?

5. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Its not tampering if you're making Gov Manors more like the baseline Courthouse!

Its unbalanced because its obvious its unbalanced. Does anyone else have a building that generates a free axeman every 5 turns when the city is size 10? (In fact, the answer is yes. But they pay 180 hammers to build it, not 60 and it only works when building military. The leaders of this civ also don't have Financial, have a research penalty, and worse unique units than the Vampire Melee line.)

6. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

We should really be able to build Paramanders with any metal, not just Copper. They should not make Soldiers of Kilmorph go obsolete, as the earlier unit has a very different use. Paramaders also seem somewhat weak/bland. Based on the pedia entry, I really think that they should be made to specialize against arcane units. I'd personally prefer to give them a bonus vs unitcombat_adept units and the ability to target them in stacks of stronger units, but simply giving them the Magic Resistant promotion may be enough.

The Mithril Golem is way too weak for its cost/AC requirement. It should be much stronger than Meshabber, as its lack of a unitcombat means it cannot level up and get promotions. If I recall, it used to have 40 strength, which was only reduced when it was given the Earth affinity that it lost not long after that. I think it needs that affinity back. Also, I really think that the material from which is it made should dictate that the Mithril Golem have the Magic Immune promotion. (I'd personally also like there to be a pieces of the mithril golem equipment that lets you recreate it if it is destroyed, but that may be asking too much.)

That would also seem justify making the Mithril Weapons promotion grant at least a little magic resistance, and/or block the Enchanted Blade promotion. I personally think it should at least be immune to Rust.

7. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

and preventing gaining enchanted weapons

8. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

That would matter in FF, but we aren't in that subforum so this is FfH we're talking about.

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Ljosalfar Fyrdwells require Deer to be built, but the grand majority of the mapscripts places Deer only in tundra regions. It doesn't feel right that the Ljosalfar should be settling in tundra to get the Fyrdwells, esp. since Svartalfars don't have a resource requirement for their Nyxkins.

10. Borya

Borya Warlord

Is it a good idea to allow weapons to be upgraded in forts/castles/citadels?

11. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

And maybe the Calabim need that huge production bonus because the Kuriorates or the Amurites are very powerful. Unbalanced is unbalanced in comparison to the best competition.

12. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Why would you pick two of the weakest civs to illustrate this point?

13. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Yeah, sure the Kuriotates and Amurites can be pretty decent against the AI (at least on your comfortable difficulty level), but they are both pretty crappy in the hands of the AI, and they are both sorta weak in MP. (I should know, I almost always played with Amurites :p)

14. phizuol

phizuol Warlord

What's wrong with Amurites? I wanted to try them tonight. =(

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

there's nothing wrong with Amurites, build tons of Firebows and have fun ;)

16. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

There isn't much wrong with them, but their goodies come late.

17. phizuol

phizuol Warlord

Yeah, I've been playing Amurites lately and now realize that to be true. The "civ flavor" is Gov who comes late and is a unit (a living one at that) which can be eliminated. It would be nice to have something earlier and not tied down to a hero even if it was a little less powerful than having Gov's power (though I'm not sure that's necessary.)

18. WCH

WCH Prince

What?

Calabim are separately already very powerful, thanks to their Vampires. Copious XP and access to some spell casting promotions? That's really strong... overlaps with the Grigori's gig, except that Calabim don't stop at 100 XP, and can keep building new ones rather than waiting for them to pop. That's their distinctiveness and their power. Having a normal building which is basically the same as one of the most powerful wonders in the game is just insanity, and completely unnecessary.

You're right that a clear argument can't be made why 1/2 is ideal, but what form would such an argument take anyway? Do you want a spreadsheet and a thorough statistical analysis backed up by simulations and computations? The point is that 1 production per 1 unhappiness is way too much... in my opinion, it should probably be a lot lower than even 1/2, but 1/2 at least is a lot better than 1/1. Taking "way too much" and then making it some other arbitrary lower number is perfectly straightforward.

If you don't understand why the building is unbalanced, compare it to other buildings that give + something. Elder Council, for instance, gives +2 research; Market gives +3 Gold/-1 research for a net of +2. Some things give copious cultural boost, but excluding culture, giving a net of +2 to one or various things is fairly standard. Some of the buildings are unusually strong: gambling house, for instance, gives +3 gold and usually several happiness as well, and so I'd describe the gambling house as probably the single strongest normal building. As Governor's Manor is a UB, and I'm all about civs having powerfully distinct things, buildings and otherwise, I think we could use this as a reasonable standard, that the benefit of the Governor's Manor should be approximately in line with the Gambling House, rather than with the Elder Council.

What does it currently give? Often upwards of 20 production per city in larger cities, +10 in mid size. +20, in addition to its other effects. Compared to the Gambling House's +6, which I've suggested is at least among the strongest, +20 is insane... even though I believe it's okay for a UB to be unusually powerful, having it more than three times as powerful as the best normal building, in addition to also having other benefits, is just simply too much. Dividing it by half would still make it exceptionally strong; +10 production in the largest cities, making it still the single best normal building in the game (but no longer by a factor of three), and +5 in medium size cities, making it still damn good but not the absolute best (some would argue of course that production is worth more than gold, and so that it's still the best).

Does that make any kind of sense to you? I really have no idea why you need this spelled out, it seems perfectly obvious to everyone else.

19. loocas

loocas Prince

Here's is Sephi's solution to the manors:

I like it. It doesn't go as far as I would like--I'd prefer that manors gave no hammers for happy and Pillar gave for both--but this solution works without splitting the mechanic. That means the Pillar receives any nerfs to the Manors, which I'd prefer didn't happen. The Calabim still have no incentive to build the Pillar*, and they should for flavor and because it would make a really powerful city under the right conditions. I have no idea how splitting them would be implemented, but short of that I am happy with this solution.

*Unless they stack. Do they stack?

20. Sephi

Sephi Deity

IIRC they do not stack