Final Fixes Reborn

1. If you can find and manually install the 3.19 patch do so. Even if it's already installed it can't hurt to do it twice over (and this is my professional opinion as a programmer) and if not it will make sure you can actually play this mod.

2. If possible delete all possible unnecessary folders. The launcher has issues with moving modules around with very long folder names so any shortening you can make will be welcome to fixing that as windows limits the character count of a full path to 256 characters.

I found and manually installed the 3.19 patch. I feel like such a dunce. It was really as simple as that.

After a quick system restart, I booted up BtS. It immediately crashed, then rebooted itself under compatibility mode. Used the Mod Load Menu to run AoE (non-SVN version, for now). Loaded with an error saying graphics capabilities are below minimums (they aren't), but IT DID LOAD. Game starts and saves properly. Haven't tried running more than Turn 1 yet, but I'm at least running the Mod.

Special thanks to PPQ, Alsark, Black, and everyone else for putting up with my 5+ posts of questions, only to have the wrong patch be my problem. :/ I owe you each an adult beverage.

Speaking of running the game on windows 10. If you keep getting crashes or just strange behavior after you've patched it I find that they go away after you manually set the game to to windows 7 compatibility mode. You have to do it both for the launcher AND separately for the actual beyond the sword.exe in the game folder. But that made all my crashes go away.

Spiders spawning only starts after the capitol reaches 4 population, which depending on your starting tiles can be quite a number of turns.

Is the 3.19 patch for the core Civilization IV, or Beyond the Sword? I can't find it on the Civ4 website.

Last edited:
Well, my intention was to answer your question and clarify the file that you were asking about... is it there? If so, then question answered. If not, then I guess that is because you are on the stable version (I was not 100% certain that the file doesn't exist in the stable version, but I guess that's probably the case). If you're on the stable version, then you shouldn't be experiencing the type of crash that you would get from a dll problem. Is it possible that you installed the mod under your Users\...\My Games\ folder rather than under Program Files\...etc...\ folder? I made that mistake when I recently got back to this mod. I installed it in the My Games\Beyond the Sword directory under Mods, and the launcher didn't work at all, and when I loaded the Mod after launching Beyond the Sword separately, it did weird terrible things and crashed. So it doesn't seem to like that. Additionally, if you're running the Steam version of Civ, you'll want to opt into Beta versions and choose "Original Release"...

Any of that help? I just got back to playing this mod myself after being away for about 6 years, so I'm sorry if I'm not much help, but I'm not sure exactly what issues you're having...

No; the larger debug version of the DLL is not there. I think I must have the stable version. I'll try that patch once somebody answers my question about that.

Also, here's a pertinent question: Might any alterations I've made to the XML have caused any problems? I make a lot of alterations to work with Broader Alignment on. I always thought the core installation didn't make nearly so much use of this as it might have, and I'm wondering now if crunching numbers too big might be causing this problem.

Is there a kind of event or something that can trigger Pegasus' assault? I am playing as Enion of Elohim and currently at turn 155. I lost two cities to a pegasus during three turns(it can attack multiple times a turn, surprisingly!) and a boar-and-lion ally razed another city meanwhile. I feel that wild animals suddenly became very very aggressive and powerful. I think that Pegasus can only defend but I wonder if I am missing something.

as of now, i don't think it'll break save games but some things won't work in the save files ( in particular, existing pegasi won't lose their non-animal ai if they already have it)

pegasi have a small chance to get another ai than the usual animal one, that's why they're more agressive. I'll fix that next commit. Not sure about the boar and lion though.
I thought that when animals become beasts they get much more aggressive, able to attack multiple times / turn and able (more willing?) to enter borders. As they become beasts at a certain age, all animals spawned at the same time become beasts at the same time, so you get "waves" of aggressive beasts. I could very easily be wrong.

Any ETA on the next stable version?

Top Bottom