Final Fixes Reborn

Just tried cloning the SVN. Producing error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. Any idea what's causing it?

up to my knowledge, it means that there's a file that's not compatible with windows name formatting. But that's not the case in the current repository.

Have you tried doing a cleanup and then start the download again with svn update ?

I can't really do an update given that it won't let me do an initial checkout at all. :(
I literally can't make an initial checkout.

Last edited:
I tried several different target folders on my PC, the latest of which was D:\AOE. That should have done it. Related settings and error.
Settings.png
ERR.png

I also tried using HG CLONE from the command line with the same effect.

I am using tortoise SVN. In particular the Tortoise HG client that I've always used. Do I need to install some specific version of it? At this point it might be prudent to just have a link in the OP.

I see. That I did not know. At this point it might be good to just have a link to the relevant software in the OP or something.

Hello. I'm getting back to AOE after a year but I can't create a game. What's has been change? I even deleted the whole folder and redownload fresh files to no avail. Then I disabled the new three PPQ modules (btw PPQ naval says it conflicted with PPQ flavor) And still can't play it either. I'll try reinstall the whole thing again to see if it work.

And thanks for still updating after all this time. You da MVP.

If by can't play you mean that it crashes when trying to setup a map, put your beyondthesword.exe into Windows 7 compatibility mode. That's what fixed my issues on Windows 10.

I am able to get into the game now. Thank you very much.

Thought about crimes: I'm not really fond of having an entirely new promotion lines just to combat crimes. How about augmenting the existing promo instead?
-Bounty Hunter: -2 crime when stationed. +2 gold as long as the crime rates actually change (ie. not stay at zero). -1 happiness due to excessive headhunting.
-Guardsman: -3 crime when stationed. In fact I think Guardsman should be the starting anti-crime promo instead of Patrol I II III. But if you insist on having them, maybe remove Empower IV requirement and make this the requirement for Patrol. This also streamlined players in choosing what promo they actually wants instead of overloading their choices.
-City Garrison I II III: -1 crime with each level when stationed. Policing isn't really a military job but extra eyes on the wall always help.
-Law I II III: -2 crime each level when stationed. With the essence of order permeate throughout the city, citizens have no choice but to obey.
-Sun I II III: -1 crime each level when stationed. Because of a parallel between Truth(light) and Crime(dark/hidden)
-Melee unit should have innate -1 crime when stationed. Just like most CIV games where garrisoned unit ease citizen's unhappiness. It's all about an establishment and display of authority to keep peoples in line, bad or good.

I am able to get into the game now. Thank you very much.

Thought about crimes: I'm not really fond of having an entirely new promotion lines just to combat crimes. How about augmenting the existing promo instead?
-Bounty Hunter: -2 crime when stationed. +2 gold as long as the crime rates actually change (ie. not stay at zero). -1 happiness due to excessive headhunting.
-Guardsman: -3 crime when stationed. In fact I think Guardsman should be the starting anti-crime promo instead of Patrol I II III. But if you insist on having them, maybe remove Empower IV requirement and make this the requirement for Patrol. This also streamlined players in choosing what promo they actually wants instead of overloading their choices.
-City Garrison I II III: -1 crime with each level when stationed. Policing isn't really a military job but extra eyes on the wall always help.
-Law I II III: -2 crime each level when stationed. With the essence of order permeate throughout the city, citizens have no choice but to obey.
-Sun I II III: -1 crime each level when stationed. Because of a parallel between Truth(light) and Crime(dark/hidden)
-Melee unit should have innate -1 crime when stationed. Just like most CIV games where garrisoned unit ease citizen's unhappiness. It's all about an establishment and display of authority to keep peoples in line, bad or good.
I'm keeping the Patrol Promotion line, but yeah, some of your suggested promos will definitely get a small crime reduction added to them.
I'm not to fond about the flat -1 per melee garrisoned unit, but i agree that Garrisoned units should have some effect.

Greetings,
after a long time I started playing AOE again and I ´m happy the current version is running much better then in the past :). Thx for the good work Black_Imperator and staff. Sometimes there are crashes when starting the game, or loadig savegames. I found out that it ´s working better to just start the basic game and then load the mod, or directly load the savegame while mod is loading it instead of using the AOE launcher. I´m using the non steam version, maybe it helps others to get their games started.

first time I started a game with the Elohim and I ´m a bit disappointed about their performance. Not having direct access to the dark council but the high council is already a big disadvantage, the bonus for having access to special wonders like yggdrasil are minor and there is a penalty for attacking outside their borders. I feel there should be atleast a race-buff "keepers of lore" to have a goody in return, maybe something like discover ruins, dungeons etc. can ´t cause bad results, or no monsters spawns etc or a bost to science as they are known to be a smart civ.
Their buildings are ok, units and hero could be better. Currently I would say they are a weak- mediocore bit boring to play Civ.

The two councils are going to be reworked at some point. (The elohim can have access to the dark council as you say, they just need to switch their alignment first).
The bonus for the Unique features are intended to be minor, because they stack. Having three or four of those starts to be very interesting. As for the rest, in general, they're working better as a culture-victory civ, than a military-victory one, which is both lore-compliant and intended . (They will get a military-oriented leader at some point).

I don't think the exploration bonus makes much sense for them, but i'm open for discussion if you have any other idea ^^

The two councils are going to be reworked at some point. (The elohim can have access to the dark council as you say, they just need to switch their alignment first).
The bonus for the Unique features are intended to be minor, because they stack. Having three or four of those starts to be very interesting. As for the rest, in general, they're working better as a culture-victory civ, than a military-victory one, which is both lore-compliant and intended . (They will get a military-oriented leader at some point).

I don't think the exploration bonus makes much sense for them, but i'm open for discussion if you have any other idea ^^

Yes, I see them as a peacefuly and harmony focussed builder Civ that tries to keep the lore and prevent the world being destroyed. It ´s not easy to find and give them something unique as other Civs have already grabbed much of the cake, the exploration bonus is more for the austrin.
If they get something it should be something fitting to them and makes them special, hmm.

Here are some Ideas, I hope I get the exact english translation as I play in german language ;-):

Bard (Hunter) Spirit 1 magic spell (access to "Inspire" Spell) , 3 Movement , maybe bonus to defence and malus to meleeattack
Storyteller (Champion) Soul 2 magic spell (access to "Hope" Spell)
Phoenix or Griffon (national unit -4 limit, can fly)
Titan (national unit -4 limit)

Hero: Avatar of Sirona, Angel bound to the capital, can ´t move or attack, bonus to health regeneation, can cure illness poison

Buildings: Temple of Sirona

Race trait : Lore keeper + 10% Science of science buildings + 10% birthrate of important persons

edit: As Elohims are carebears and known for aiding ppl, explored tribes could give them a choice of reward, ofc no technologies but maybe (idea token from Civ5 -Civ Schoschonen)
- science boost
- gold
- unit
- random

Last edited:
"What is a hero without good gear? - A peasant"

I ´ve another suggestion for a new technology/Ability: Crafting
It would be nice to have at least more items in the game to equip heroes and units and it would be nice if they can be crafted too. The tech could also included be in the already implemented craft tech, but maybe it would be to early to have access to crafted items. The craft list could be implemented similar like mercenaries where you can chose, the weapons, jewelery could have restrictions like for example "sword of doom + 2 Str, +2 Attackbonus + 1 poison " cost 500g + needs habit of 3x mana of entropy.

Top Bottom