Firaxis at Pax East 2014 - Speculations?

It's Sword of the Samurai II, isn't it Pete? :p

(A new Civ game has been released every 4-5 years since Civ I. Civ V was released in 2010. Putting my money on Civ VI).

It is time for Civ 6 to be announced if they are to follow the normal "Civ schedule".
But I dont want to get my hopes up...

I wish they would just polish the current civ we have now first. A great game as is, but still in need of some tweaks. Science overflow bug, OP ranged units, AI refusal to move and shoot, AI embarking units into hostile waters, policies need balancing, confusing ranged defense promotions seemingly not working on certain units...etc...

The reason I am skeptical is because they aren't live streaming the event. Live streaming is more for people who are already fans of their games and subscribe to their Livestream channel.

I guess they are going to announce it to the breathless game journalists attending PAX East and let them have first crack at reporting it then put it up on YouTube for anyone else who is curious. This fashion seems geared more of a whole new title rather than a sequel.

Eh, this is the most active subforum devoted to a Firaxis product. It makes sense to peak in to check if there is a thread on the subject (particularly since Firaxis was just asked about a livestream of the event).

I wish they would just polish the current civ we have now first. A great game as is, but still in need of some tweaks. Science overflow bug, OP ranged units, AI refusal to move and shoot, AI embarking units into hostile waters, policies need balancing, confusing ranged defense promotions seemingly not working on certain units...etc...
In theory I agree with you, but I think many of the issues you mention (most notably AI incapability of managing units properly) will require a complete rework of AI code, and that's not likely to happen as an update of old game. As such, I think it's more likely to see a CiVI release which stays pretty close to CiV form but works on fixing the game elements to get an actually working game (at least that's what I hope we'll get :p).

My hunch is that this will be Civ VI/Civ Spin-Off, though it could possibly be another XCOM game. It almost certainly isn't another Borderlands thing as they're releasing an expansion for that, and probably won't be an "independent" game as they're releasing "Evolve".

According to Zac Minor, the rumor at PAX is that it is a free to play arena shooter. I'm not even sure what that means. Team Fortress?

When they are speaking about AAA release and big news I really hope that this isn't anything like mobile version of CIV or free to play, pay to win type of game. I hope for CIV VI announcement, but I am really thinking that it will be something else.

In theory I agree with you, but I think many of the issues you mention (most notably AI incapability of managing units properly) will require a complete rework of AI code, and that's not likely to happen as an update of old game. As such, I think it's more likely to see a CiVI release which stays pretty close to CiV form but works on fixing the game elements to get an actually working game (at least that's what I hope we'll get :p).

I'm waiting to see Civ6. But considering the amount of game elements you already have in old release and what there can be in any new release, there will aways be a lot less of elements in new releases. It would take a long time to make a completely new game with all the elements that are already made in Civ5. From the business-side of view it is also more profitable to first make a basic game and then start adding more content and expansions.

I only hope that they will fix Civ5 multiplayer bugs, since AI problems cant hurt that side of the game so much. It is basically a cheap fix. Most of the elements in Civ5 work very well when playing with other people.

My hope for Civ 6 would be that it would be given a more sandboxy feel and would stray away from the board game that I feel it is.

My hope for Civ 6 would be that it would be given a more sandboxy feel and would stray away from the board game that I feel it is.

How would you do that though without getting rid of what makes Civilization Civilization?

Top Bottom