First G+K DLC - Name it!

What seems to be the next most likely DLC items?

• Total voters
I really want to see an Israel civ. Although I think I would call it Hebrews or Israelites because there are political issues involved with associating the State of Israel with all Jews. Leader: David. UA would be faith-based. I think the inclusion of Jerusalem as a CS is a sign that this will not happen any time soon, however.

I hope it will be an Ancient Middle Eastern Civ, like Sumerians or Hitties. They already have unit graphics and the symbols, all they need is to tweak the abilities and make leaderscreens. No offense but if Canada was added as a civ I would feel very much obliged to conquer it or nuke it.

I really want to see an Israel civ. Although I think I would call it Hebrews or Israelites because there are political issues involved with associating the State of Israel with all Jews. Leader: David. UA would be faith-based. I think the inclusion of Jerusalem as a CS is a sign that this will not happen any time soon, however.
Well it would be rather dull to create a game about religious wars and not to include Jerusalem in it. They can always change the name into something else.

I think it is very unlikely to see an Israeli civilization any time soon, just as much as an Tibetan civilization. You can avoid the present politics by presenting them with an empire that existed long ago, but then comes the issue when people become curious about those civilizations. Because Civilopedia represents a stretched explanation and they cannot leave the past 100 years out of it, they would have to explain a story that'll be way too sensitive for some governments. In the case of Israel, the issues have become so big and so complicated that it is impossible to explain a story that isn't biased in either a pro-Israel or pro-Palestine way. Such a DLC can cause a lot of trouble, it is way easier to come up with civs that are both popular and less (or not) sensitive. Because you don't want an Israeli virus wiping your computers or Chinese hackers peeking into your mailbox.

Canada and Israel? Im for it. Other city states have been changed to a civ's city per DLC or G+K.

The game is also about major nations and not just civilizations or i can think of plenty of things that would be different, but for your reading pleasure - i won't XD

I wanna see a south american civ, but I'm sure that the next DLC would be or Sioux, or Zulu, and maybe the next will be from middle east, maybe Israel, or the Hittites

Why is the poll multi-choice? And I would add a few more options, as has been pointed out, there's a few more thinkable civs (Zulu/Bantu, Portugal, Brazil, Australia, Canada, Sumeria/Hittites, Indonesia, Poland, Israel, Morocco, Sioux/Apache/Cherokee/etc. and a whole lot more). That gives you three to four more options to put in a poll ("Native Civ", Modern Nation State, Ancient Civ, Other). The "new age" sounds a lot like it could be part of another expansion pack light. But I guess the distinction between DLC and Xpac is very fluid.

Then there's the fourth scenario as found in the files, prime candidate for a DLC. I could also imagine a "sci-fi" scenario as a DLC. All in all, the poll needs more options, no multi-choice and maybe a few days to G&K having been played ;)

By using slash between two civ names I guess you see these as pretty much same... in this case I don't understand. Zulu and Bantu are by the far from same. Bantus are a big ethnical group of many tribes/nations. Bantu peoples originate from around Nigeria and spread basically all around the Eastern and Southern Africa, while Zululand is one of these tribes/nations formed at the end of Bantu expansion. I'm not so sure about the relation of Sumeria and Hittites, but putting Sioux, Appache and Cherokee together is even worse than Zulus and Bantus. It is kind of like saying that I would like next civilization added to be Porugal/Poland. Actually it was even bothering me how into Swedish civ was added Finnish city Helsinki with a Finnish name. Although Helsinki originally was built by Swedes, it had a Swedish name then.
Well, now while this is said, I really would like Poland, Rumania and maybe some other East-European civs. It would give good basis for scenario of Great Wars period... that would surely implement espionage much.

I think the Zulu are a strong possibility for several reasons:

1) They are an iconic Civ from previous games
2) They would provide an additional representative for the African continent
3) They could be presented in a very fun, personality-infused way
4) They are already fairly well known, more so than most other African nations / civs / whatever.

If we got the Zulu, here is what I think we would get:
1) Leader: Shaka
2) UA: Integrated Tribes (Something to highlight Zulu absorption of defeated tribes, maybe 'capture' of defeated barbarians or CS units, something similar to Ottoman Barbary Pirates?)
3) UU: Impi (Spearmen replacement, probably a highly mobile unit, maybe bonus against higher tech units?)
4) Second UU / UB?: Not sure here. Maybe a UB to highlight some aspect of Zulu culture such as the witch doctors?

I would love to see the Zulu included. There are many strong choices of course. I would love to see Israel, and they would be a great choice to utilize the new Religion and Espionage systems.

I don't think we will or should see much focus on the Modern eras. G&K already added quite a bit to the Modern era, with new Gattling and Machine gunners, new tanks and planes, etc. I would much rather see an expansion of early / middle eras or fleshing out a future era.

Either way, as long as future DLC and Expansions are well thought out, I'm all for them. I like having a big content base for Civ games. I would kill for a second expansion focused on a better Social Policy system that would give us some of the flexibility of the old Civ IV Civics systems (one of my favorite parts of the old game). I would love to be able to select governments and things like that again, and have it matter. The Social Policies are a decent game mechanic, but they are very limiting and 'gamey' while the Civics system felt a bit more realistic and flexible.

First let me say I do think this thread shouldn't devolve into a "which civ deserves to be in". There's enough threads like that (where you also find a lot of suggestions for how to include the Zulu). Still I feel the need to anser...

By using slash between two civ names I guess you see these as pretty much same... in this case I don't understand.

You would be right to not understand, because that wasn't my intention. I simply felt that the chance was low for the developers to include BOTH the Zulu and the Bantu in one game. You would do one or the other. Just as with Mali and Songhai. It doesn't make sense from a point of view of a game. Keep in mind, civilization V is not a historical simulation, so it's not a question of who "deserves" to be in from History. That's why we could get the Confederacy if the 4th scenario is true. And why we got the Holy Roman Empire in Civ4 BTS. They fit into the game plan then.

All in all, there's a good chance we get a Native American civ, but we won't get two. So it doesn't make sense to debate wether the Cherokee or the Sioux deserve it more, we will get the one the developers feel like doing...

And now I hope the Sumeria/Hittite thing makes sense to you ;)

And now I hope you see why I chose to put Zulu/Bantu. Even if the Zulu are a fan favourite and a civ staple, they do feel horribly wrong and are a bad representation of Africa, compared to the other civs in the game. The Bantu would incorporate the Zulu and make it a worthwhile civ, similar to the Celts or the Arabs, who both do not represent a nation state as well.

If we got the Zulu, here is what I think we would get:
1) Leader: Shaka
2) UA: Integrated Tribes (Something to highlight Zulu absorption of defeated tribes, maybe 'capture' of defeated barbarians or CS units, something similar to Ottoman Barbary Pirates?)
3) UU: Impi (Spearmen replacement, probably a highly mobile unit, maybe bonus against higher tech units?)
4) Second UU / UB?: Not sure here. Maybe a UB to highlight some aspect of Zulu culture such as the witch doctors?

Again, see the many other threads dedicated on that subject. However in short, the Impi is the obvious choice. As a second unique, the kraal as a Pasture replacement (UI) would feel the most natural. And there aren't that many UI's yet. However, the Huns seem to be filling that slot so far.

The Gatling Gun btw. now finally makes sense to me after the reveal of the 4th scenario (American Civil War). It was a particular unit of those wars and did felt too specific for inclusion... I just hope they didn't give up that whole idea...

As soon as you saw the Arabian Civ intro text where they explicitly mentioned the Mongols by name, you could be fairly sure that they would be in the game at a later date. With that methodology, Hurons could be a second Native American Civ. Remember that by making it the Iroquois and not Native Americans they've left it open.

Similarly the Celts are purely British, the mainland Gauls are not represented in units or cities so Gauls could be a decent call.

Poland is relavent enough in European history to be a part of it, perhaps they could integrate an Eastern European bloc of nations? I don't know, but if they were going to put in an East European Civ Poland would be the choice.

Aborigines I thought should have been in previous Civ games as they are by definition their own civilization, admittedly one that hasn't had a particularly bloodthirsty past but one that you could easily imagine having their own unique UAs (Walkabout) UBs/UUs.

Portugal and Brazil should be included as one, if I recall right the names of Brazillian cities crept in near the end of Portugals City name list in Civ IV. Do the same again.

Zulus are pretty much the only 'big' civ not in V that has been in previous games (prove me wrong) and Africa needs some loving.

There's also the case for modern nations like Mexico, Indonesia, Canada etc. etc. to be a part of it, not against that because more stuff is always good.

A British Empire/ Dominions civ would be awesome, would include Canadian, New Zealand, Australian and British cities (maybe some other regions too). Include Indian cities using their old names, UU sepoy and Dreadnaught. Won't happen but would be epic. :hmm:

Civil War Scenario with CSA or a Native American tribe such as the Cherokee or Comanche.

Due to the beta Civil War files in Gods&Kings.

A logical dlc bundle pack would be: Portugal and Kingdom of Kongo, with the Nederlands also playing a part. Would be a Nice scenario since Portugal and jingo was the first medivial age sun Saharan Europe contact, and since queen Nzinga quite successfully turned the Nederlands against Portugal and best them in a few battles. Religion also sued quite a large role.

Though it.could maybe be more fun to have a scramble for Africa scenario the next expansion so you.could add four five African cubs and not just one, the other could be: kingdom of Benin (or.some other.west African civ, that region had.a lot of entreating Kingdoms and early contact with Europe, kingdom of Benin has no relation with the modern country), Zimbabwe, Swahili, Merina (Madagascar), tuaregs, the almorahvid (just add a 3d leader.face from.the into the.renescance one)

As far as Civilizations go, I really would like to see Portugal and/or one modern-day Latin America nation. Cuba, perhaps? It had some peculiar distinctions that can't easily be found in other nations.

Again, see the many other threads dedicated on that subject. However in short, the Impi is the obvious choice. As a second unique, the kraal as a Pasture replacement (UI) would feel the most natural. And there aren't that many UI's yet. However, the Huns seem to be filling that slot so far.

Not sure why you feel the need to play 'thread police.' The OP asked about DLC. It seems silly to limit the discussion to which DLC we might want to see, but not how it would be implemented.

Anyways, good call on a UI. That could be a very nice addition, and I certainly like to see further diversity in UA/UB/UU/UIs.

Top Bottom