Foreign Policy: Apolyton

A very interesting chat I had with MZ of Apolyton:

MZprox: I saw you got civil service
2metraninja: yeah, we got it
I wanted to ask you what RB are next researching?
though those are dedicated enough that to change research just at the end of the timer
MZprox: after they got drama in one turn they are getting metal casting in one turn.. so much for overflows... they have insane high reserach
they don't even need to hide what are they doing
2metraninja: hahah
yeah
on 100% in Bureau why not get 500-600 bpt
MZprox: if they wanted nationalism or liberalism they could just get it..but they are confident enough to not be focused
2metraninja: we believe MC can be part of Taj strategy too
for Lib we agree that no one is in position to get that before them
MZprox: we need a plan to defeat them .. our janissaries against their tanks
2metraninja: hahahh
dont despair too easy, there is a lot of time till then and a lot of things can happen
Изпратено в 13:39, вторник
MZprox: just read an email from civfr.. it seems we can't live in peace .. :/
2metraninja: really?
are they threatening with war or what?
they want all the land for them?
MZprox: no, they just can't accept our proposed border treaty... and we can't accept anything less
2metraninja: we think we know who is the mastermind of Team CivFR and we think this guy is quite opportunistic nature
we cant come to agreement about anything with them too
MZprox: of course we don1t want war with them, but we can not lose that land.. btw they already planted a city which they shouldn't had. one more and I believe war will be inevitable
2metraninja: sigh
that is not good
all the wars are going around RB
and they happily tech towards SpaceShip
2metraninja: btw... war with CivFR might turn out not that bad if it is planned/executed well
MZprox: I tried to be as diplomatic as possible while i ws telling them to leave that land or else
now that I don't need to worry about liberalism I might focus on building an army finally
2metraninja: but why you dont need to worry about Lib?
MZprox: RB will get it anyway
2metraninja: nothing is set in stone. remember G&H where I was like 5-10 turns behind you for Lib and I got it at the end?
MZprox: who would attack RB to slow them down.. you are the only one in position

Leaving alone that Apolyton seems desperate they will not get Liberalism, the most important thing for me is that Apolyton and CivFR might end up in a war for territory! Maybe, after all, we will be able to do the double combo I was hoping for, just not Spaniards + Uciv, but Spaniards and CivFR instead! CivFR will not suspect anything! They will be worried about us crushing Spaniards, but they will not be in full war preparations at all, so we will get them almost by white shorts! Combined with Apolyton's army, we could crush the French relatively easily if we commit to this. We get even more land and we get strong ally - Apolyton.

So, why I wanted to tell you this is to start discussion if we want to tell Apolyton that we might actually plan things about CivFR.

We can definitely plan for it, but I don't think we need to tell them anytime soon. Something might come up in the meantime where we'd feel bad to change our plans, hurting our relationship.

I agree. It might even make sense to try to get CP involved on our side, too. That will create a strong Poly-CP-CFC alliance to work together and take out RB when the time has come.

Yes, I saw this, but MZ said he is hooping for the circumnavigation bonus, so he will not trade maps yet :(

Can we do something to beat him at this btw? :satan:

This map does not seem like navy will be important at all (Much like the first MTDG) so I don't know if pissing off potential allies with something so petty as the Circumnavigation bonus which we may not even use much... Hmmm ... what do you think?

I agree with Sommers that it's not worthwhile upsetting a very important ally for this. Besides, we're really far away from being able to contest the circumnav bonus.

I would be ok with offering our map first, so if combining our knowledge does result in circumnavigation, Poly gets it. They would have to immediately gift over their map after us. I would also be ok with agreeing not to compete with them for the circumnav bonus.

I agree with Sommers that it's not worthwhile upsetting a very important ally for this. Besides, we're really far away from being able to contest the circumnav bonus.

I would be ok with offering our map first, so if combining our knowledge does result in circumnavigation, Poly gets it. They would have to immediately gift over their map after us. I would also be ok with agreeing not to compete with them for the circumnav bonus.

This is my sentiment as well. Nicely put, Yossarian :)

I thought Poly was ahead of us in the turn order, so they'd get the circumnav bonus even if we got it at the same time. I'd think the we give them first then they give us would be ideal, if we could convince them of it.

I agree. Maybe even gift our map to them, then they gift theirs not until the turn the bonus is awarded, if they're paranoid about it.

Bad news team :( War between Apolyton and CivFR is imminent:

MZprox: the mayan crisis is much worse than i thought
experts believe there is up to 80% percent chance that war will start within turns
I'd like to be the one who starts next turn if we can't reach agreement with the maya
and I don't think we will.. they are stubborn and greedy
2metraninja: I see
most unfortunate I must say :(
we were hoping to have solid alliance going against RB and this will take out 2 of the possible 4 teams out of the game
MZprox: if they are fool enough to build a city on their intended site I will be fool enough to attack them.. :/ i think they don't want compromise
i offered them a plan to share that territory without them cutting off our city
2metraninja: I dont want to influence your politics, but I am obliged to try to stress out once more the significance of one such war breaking. It will be ugly classical war, where all involved lose and none of them gain anything. RB will be the only winners out of this.
MZprox: sent you a picture if you are interested
the maya has its settler 2NE of that cow east of izmir
2metraninja: but this yellow dont show possible culture from a city planted on 2NE of the cows?
MZprox: with that city they would be between our cities taking every worthwhile land and them being creative would cause a big pressure on us
that yellow is my suggestion to them as a neutral zone
so that none of us would build a city there
they can build east of it, we build one west of it
2metraninja: they will think you are taking all the good land there
2metraninja: see, we swallowed down an outright robbery from Uciv in our border negotiations. we proposed them similar no-settling area. they insisted on putting 1 city in the no- settling area. we agreed and then they said they will settle another city in the previously no-settling area. but we decided 2 damned cities are not worth compromising our chances in the long run
they took Elephants, Sugar, Gems and all the green land in a river valley
MZprox: considering they have 1,5 times the land than ours we would be fool to allow them settling there... they will be responsible for the war if they do it
2metraninja: you know me and you know no one can accuse me of being push-over, but still I am Ok with that. we have more important goals
2metraninja: it is like playing a football match for the show and playing on the World Cup. play style must be more cold and less temperament, despite it might be less spectacular.
sometimes you have to play for the draw if this suits you
MZprox: tell this to the maya
they have 150 more points, more land and still putting a city in a position which robs us from our only place to expand while they could expand towards the zulu
2metraninja: :) I can if you think CFC trying to negotiate peace is good
better words to be spoken before swords are drawn out
after this words lose much weight
2metraninja: all this is up to you, of course, I can understand your feelings completely
MZprox: you shouldn't interfere now..
also I don't want them to know how close I am to decalre war.. it's enough if they know they are very close
2metraninja: no, but I really think that if the issue is put forward in hard, but civilized manner, this can have some effect. I am sure Maya dont want a war at all
MZprox: we don't want war either.. we have 4-5 military units :p
but I will slave an army if needed
2metraninja: sigh

Well this sure is unfortunate, though I guess it was predictable. RB is really lucking out here.

Are we able to stay neutral in this? Poly will probably expect our support based on our past cooperation, but if we have to worry about our eastern border with UCiv after we eliminate the Spaniards, that will make it a lot more difficult to dedicate the troops we'll need on our western front against RB.

We have Poly's map. Is there anything else we really need from them if they can't help us against RB?

Well this probably settles that CP will be our main ally. Luckily our locations are very convenient. RB will have tough time fighting a war in two fronts even if no-one else joins the dogpile. Though it would be nice to get other troops to join the mayhem, the most important thing is that nobody will ally RB. If Poly is fighting CivFr, our only real concern is UCiv. SpAp will be beaten long before war against RB and Germans & WPC will probably be in no position to help RB significantly either. So if we can get UCiv either to join the mayhem or just stay out of it, I think we still have a good chance of kicking some RB butt.

How many wars have you talked me out of fighting for silly vanity and principle?...

It was good you did not started those, right? Wish I could had the power to make up their mind too in this situation.

Are we able to stay neutral in this? Poly will probably expect our support based on our past cooperation,
Of course we will stay neutral in this as much as possible, at least initially. We dislike so much this war between potential allies, that I even said jokingly that we might make proclamation that we will declare war to anyone who declares war first to try and keep the peace between them two.

but if we have to worry about our eastern border with UCiv after we eliminate the Spaniards, that will make it a lot more difficult to dedicate the troops we'll need on our western front against RB.
I think you mean CivFR and not Uciv, right? Well, as much as CivFR is involved... I wont hide my appetite for their lush lands and juicy big cities full of wonders :D I was semi-serious considering that we just dont stop after conquering Spaniards and hit CivFR at full speed, taking at least 1/3 of their lands before they know what hit them - is it us or the freight train :D But then I dismissed this idea because we will need our attention towards RB. But... If this Apolyton-CivFR war start in real, and it dont stay just a phoney thing but becomes real hot war, we might think again about the french affair possibilities :) If.. if we are done with the Spanish at t150, we will have still 25 turns of NAP with RB. 25 turns is a lot and a lot can happen in this time
if the French army is pinned down in deadly fight with Apolyton, what will stop our armies from taking 5-6-10 good french cities? We will cripple them and they wont be ever a major power. Might be great deal if we can gut such fat piece of land. Who knows, I am just fantasizing here :)

We have Poly's map. Is there anything else we really need from them if they can't help us against RB?
We need them to keep pressure on RB so they race towards Lib and even if they get it, to not get something good with it.

Well this probably settles that CP will be our main ally.
I think yes.

Luckily our locations are very convenient.
Indeed.

RB will have tough time fighting a war in two fronts even if no-one else joins the dogpile.
Yes, I hope this will slow them down considerably. Even if we just force them to tech military techs and spend hammers building units instead of buildings.

the most important thing is that nobody will ally RB.
Exactly. But I start to fear RB will get a sidekick in WPC. From their point of view right now they might be happy to finish the game alive and second in score.

So if we can get UCiv either to join the mayhem or just stay out of it, I think we still have a good chance of kicking some RB butt.
Yes, Uciv might prove critical for the RB case. In my heart I secretly hope they will show good strategic thinking when the time comes, but with my mind I am preparing to get this struggle without help from them. They seems too conservative for me.

Heads up to whoever enters the game first: Poly had offered another map trade. Do we want to take it?

We could try to negotiate for a solution between the parts. Do we see a solution that both parts could agree on?

I think there will not be a war between Poly and CivFR. Both because MZ cant get support from his team, and because frenchies agreed to settle in compromise location. Part of this must have be the understanding that each war between possible allies benefits RB.

Yeah, looks like CivFr backed off their threat to settle in a way to cut off those two Poly cities:

Spoiler :

Crisis averted

Top Bottom