1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

This is the proposal we sent to them:

This was their acceptance:

That is pretty specific, but still leaves some room to maneuver, if we desire. For example, we could tell RB that we WPC is Northwest of us, which leaves a lot of room for doubt (i.e. somewhat implies Thunderfall was not the one that made contact). Technically, since we need to state which turn we meet a team, that implies that the meeting could have occurred several turns in the past. However language at the beginning of the sentence does suggest immediate notification.

fwiw, I think it's fine to tell RB that Thunderfall has been moving NE since leaving their borders, and has just found WPC borders. I don't see what the benefit is in being less than completely honest here, while I do think it could be harmful to our friendship if they feel we tried to fool them.

2. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Totally agreed. I don't see why we should withhold anything from them, especially the direction of a potential alliancemate. :)

3. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Yeah, just let them know we found the border of WPC to their NE and are making contact next turn.

4. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Good enough for me.

5. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Honesty is best policy here. Though, I do think that we should send the message on the actual turn that we'll meet them i.e. next turn. In our effort to take the diplomatical advantage here a single turn can end up being crucial. Theoretically there is also a possibility that a panther rushes across the opening in the jungle killing Thunderfall and we'd end up not meeting WPC and not starting diplo with them but still revealing their location to RB.

6. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Is it possible for Panthers to still be lurking in the fog, or have all barbs converted to warriors by now? My test games have one warrior watching over the Workers building the road network, and also the settler traveling to the new city site, and it cannot cover everyone at the same time. I was hoping keeping him in position to defog all surrounding tiles would be sufficient, but if we still need to be on the lookout for 2-movers, then we might need to hold Plotinus back to have a second warrior in place for protection. Bowsling, do you know the answer?

7. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

It depends on how many animals there were to start with. I'd err on the side of caution and assume that there are still panthers out there, but I don't think there's a way to definitely tell.

8. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

9. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

There is a lion currently visible NW of Indira right now so animals are still in play.

10. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I'm responding here, cav scout. I post the drafts in the Diplomacy Log thread, because it's easier to just link them in here than to post oodles of drafts in this thread. :)

I don't agree that we need to resist the urge to try to get one or two permanent alliances. In fact I believe permanent alliances for the first half of the game is the exact key to our victory. If we resist that urge, as you suggest, I believe we will lose the game. RB is going to be a strong partner (unless WPC finds them and goes havoc on them of course), and I think we should nurture that relationship rather than destroy it. RB has shown very clearly that they want to cooperate with us based on the latest messages from them, and also based on gtalk, and that means we have an ally at the moment.

However, yes, I included a lot of information in that draft to give a clear indication of just how detailed we can be. I want this to be discussed before sending it off, as I want to know how much the team wishes to cooperate with them now that we are in a favourable relationship with them (they want to cooperate with us). I would like to give them all that information as I believe that by doing so we truly cement them as our ally. However, this is one of those matters that I believe need a clear majority, and as such I am dependent upon feedback from you guys.

In other words: Lurkers who agree with either my draft, or with cav scouts opposing opinion, please let your voice be heard so that there is no assumptions made. Please state clearly whether you want us to cooperate with RB or not, and if you are in favour, then please state how much detail you would like us to provide them.

And cav scout, would you please let me know exactly what parts was TMI? :)

11. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Little bit overmuch. Stating direction and even distance is good. I'm not sure I'd include advice. The speculation on expansion and whatnot is all the same to me whether it's in or not. Wouldn't have added it myself but I also don't mind.

12. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I agree with talonschild. Let's keep it simple and let RB play their own game ;) Info about our intentions is definitely too much at this point. Though, we still should aim for alliance with RB we should keep our options open until our relationship improves more. BTW, at what point should we start pushing towards that direction more?

Here is another proposal with the TMI part removed. I also modified the part about dyes to not include any speculation (my suggestion in bold).

13. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

I like that revision. I don't support the idea of telling RB what we're trying to do diplomatically with WPC yet. We have no idea how successful we'll be, and I don't want to give them the expectation that we're establishing a 3-way alliance. Right now I believe it makes sense to develop strong relations individually, and then piece them together into a powerful early game alliance when we know a little more about the layout of the map.

14. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I have updated the draft to look more or less like Aivoturso's suggestion :)

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

The revised message looks great to me.

16. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I like the revised draft. It doesn't give away our intentions and establishes precedent: RB should (THEY'D BETTER!) give location and tile distance between a new civ and us when they're the ones finding someone.

17. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

I like the revised draft as well.

@Cav Scout or anyone please explains briefly what went wrong with the last game. I didn't play it and have very little experience with Diplo games anyway. I thought permanent alliances were the only way to win one of these. Then when the opposition is wiped out there is either a gentleman’s agreement or a free for all.

Am posting this in the Foreign Policy and General Diplomacy thread also. Please reply there.

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I've sent off the message (as revised according to Aivoturso's suggestion) to RB, thus honouring our deal with them. :)

Message sent

19. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I just wanted to put this in here, since it might get lost in the long demo-hacking post.

20. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

We can just go ahead and ask them about it?