Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

I would also like to say well done to all- especially Cal for all the time and energy he put into this.

With that said I do want to offer a word of caution. I think we ended up giving RB more than we had to. Their diplo strategy is really good- they put the frog (us) into the cold pot of water and then turned the heat up slowly enough that we didn't jump out. Our gunboat was reduced to a toy boat by the time they were done. RB got everything they wanted- the city south of the oasis, our city not being right up on them, marble when they want it (if we don't hook it up by 150 we have broken the treaty), a promise that we give them resources first, a promise that we don't put any espy on them, a promise that we don't help the teams that they will be attacking etc etc.

Bottom line: RB is laughing their asses off about how they stole our city location and then used it to twist our arm into a bunch of concessions from us.

Can we please stop acting like a bunch of betas in our diplo in the future please?

I think we ended up giving RB more than we had to.
Here I agree, we should not have given them Marble, but this war their clause put in the last minute and I could not afford to waste another turn not settling. 15 gold + 10 wasted workerturns were already enough waste. This is common tactic - to seemingly agree and make the other already taste and feels the deal finished, when at the last possible minute you change one of the clauses - ask for something more, or change amount of something. It works most of the time if you are not the one who is in hurry.

RB got everything they wanted- the city south of the oasis
They settled Starfall way before those negotiations. And the general sentiment of the team was to not mention it at all, so we did. I wanted to ask for REPARATIONS, while most wanted to not mention it and keep it for some obscure future. Well, RB never crossed their word settling Starfall, nor they asked us so we can have our say. As for this specific negotiations, they wanted our city on B1, we settled it on B2. Yes, we could had settled it at B3 to annoy the hell out of them, but this could have been bad location for us too.

marble when they want it
It is not when they want it, but when we give it to them in the specified time frame. Yes, it was all in their favor to have the Marble, but as I said, we were not in position to wait any more, while they are not in hurry at all.

a promise that we give them resources first
But the same goes for them too! And they have MORE resources than us and most probably will have more resources in the near future too. So we gain possible trades here, not give away.

a promise that we don't put any espy on them
This works both sides. And from my experience, espionage requires economics. The better economics wins in espionage fight. And I think RB will be the better economic for quite yet time to come. Like t175 or something.

a promise that we don't help the teams that they will be attacking etc etc
But that is absolutely natural! Every sane player will ask for it. I mentioned it from the beginning. I was hoping they wont think of it, but alas - remember - our opponents are at least as smart as us. What we were to say when they ask for such clause? "We want NAP with you, but wont sign it if we cant arm other nations!" LOL Really? What I did (and probably went unseen from this minor tone) is I have put only units in the clause. So we can send money to whoever we want (help them research to catapults, etc, etc)

Bottom line: RB is laughing their asses off about how they stole our city location and then used it to twist our arm into a bunch of concessions from us.
For this, I wont argue, as I think the same. But this was not something to be discussed in those negotiations. We lost A1 way earlier by failing to secure border agreement.

As my bottom line, those were exhausting negotiations, but the outcome is OK. Now we have our time to build and try to outplay them. Also, I will say I like your critic opinion on everything. You are like the alarming (although a bit paranoid) voice to keep us sober.

I agree with cavscout that we could probably have gotten the deal without promising them Marble. The thing is, that as 2metra pointed out, what we lose from turns and turns of not having our city built outweighs what we lose in giving them marble. What is the loss to us in gifting them marble if we aren't using it. We need Stone now. Marble we wont need until later. There is not that much tangible harm to us in promising to gift them Marble.

I agree with cavscout that it feels sometimes like RB is pushing us around, but one thing I have learned from these games and especially from my good friend (and sometimes mentor) 2metra ;), is that fighting battles for ego and ego alone is not the way to win. You have to be able to look at the situation and weigh the actual benefit versus loss.

We could have sent the letter I offered (saying give us Stone now or we settle to take the stone and NEVER sign any NAP) but how does that benefit us? If they say yes we get stone 1 turn earlier maybe? We still were going to give Marble to them eventualy maybe in a trade but still they were going to get it. If not from us then from someone else right?

But if they said no... Then what? We have to spend hammers on top of hammers on defensive units to send to the ithsmus, screwing up our other plans.

At any rate, I appreciate the great Diplomatic work iby Caledorn and everyone else in getting this resolved without a silly ancient war (cold or hot, both are expensive) between us and RB. I also think 2metra's tactic with the settler deserves a huge amount of praise as that was also the key in the negotiation.

Two things I want to mention about the treaty that maybe no one notices.
3.2. If any of the members is at war with a third party, the other member agrees not to gift units to that third party.
This clause is an illusion really, and really has almost no effect. Why? Because the only team you can't give units to is the one they are at war with. You can give as many units as you want before the War (as well as money and resources as 2metra points out).

But the most important thing to note is that if for example RB is at war with Civ A, we can still gift units to Civ B and tell them, "Here give this to Civ A" so really this clause prevents nothing. Just remember that RB is certainly also well aware of this.
6.1. Both members agree to not spend/gain espionage points against eachother.

6.2. Both members agree to not perform espionage actions against eachother .
:lol: Everyone in their paranoia over espionage always asks for these deals thinking they get protection, but they are wrong, because of how espionage works. The key to using espionage against someone is not in trickling 3 or 4 or 20 miserable :espionage: points on them one turn at a time. Even the silly AI can see this coming and defend against it easily.

The key to using espionage is to create a skewed espionage ratio, so that you get massive discounts on your espionage missions against enemies. You get the favorable ratio no matter who you spend :espionage: points on. So we can drastically reduce our espy cost on RB (in case we need to use espy missions on them in the future) by spending lots of espionage on OTHER teams. So the way we benefit from the Great Spy (regardless of when we get it) is that we can use him to cultivate a skewed espy ratio that makes all our espionage missions way cheaper.

More on this later... Lets just see if we can get TGW and we can get to espionage and how we can use it against whoever (including RB) later.

RB has completed Hanging Gardens on T105. We should ask them for their Stone.

Edit: Here's the picture.

Spoiler :

I dont think they owe us stone from this turn, t105 or t106 was not bind by when they build HG, but for we giving them 25 turns more NAP and settling our isthmus city (which needs a name btw) where they wanted.

Stone is not crucial for us anyway, Lets not make ourselves look like silly greedy bunch. We have other serious things to worry for at that moment.

Ask them for it anyway. And start TGW for God sakes

:agree: "Making ourselves look silly" would be negotiating heavily for stone and then not bloomin' bothering to ask for it when clearly they appear to be finished with it.

(And if they say "no, not done yet", well we know they're building something else...)

(And if they say "no, not done yet", well we know they're building something else...)
They are building something for 1 more turn?

"What the fcuk those stupid guys want? We offered them to have the stone from t105 they they refused. Why would they ask for the stone from t105 now? Are they think we are stupid? Or they are trying to trick me? I am not sure how I will make reasonable deals with them in future." I am just saying what I would have thought to myself if I was on the other side.

Anyway, lets ask for the stone in-game. I bet a beer they wont give it to us.

They offered it.

The APTMod sends email notifications when in-game deals are made, and I got an email soon after the turn flipped that they were offering it to us.

We must ask RB for a loan. It is not in their best interest, but who knows, we have nothing to lose. If we are being dogpiled, we need money to tech quicker.

Hi there, Team RB,

As you must know already we are at war with the Spaniards. War is exhausting and costs dear to those involved. We would like to have a short loan of 300 gold, which we will start repaying with gpt at the tenth turn from the date of receiving the loan with added interest to which we can both agree.

Good neighbors are known best in time of need.

The quicker we tech to overwhelming military technology, the quicker we will secure our fiefs and get back on track with our game or outright conquer Spaniards.

So yes, we do want those, only maybe the terms can be better for us - i.e. we are not desperate to get those at all costs.

Top Bottom