1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Thunderfall, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

There was a recent thread partly on that topic (here). In general, the staff answer was that moderators are free to use or not use invisible mode as they see fit, firstly because they're not obliged to provide immediate answers or to spend the entirety of their online time moderating, and secondly because visibility is misleading in any case; I've probably been 'online' for the last seven hours, but I've only actually been available for a portion of that time.

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

To further that point, I used to only use invisible mode. Once I joined the moderator team and saw a similar complaint, I turned it off.

Just because there's a green light next to my name doesn't mean I'm active! All it shows is that one of the 3 devices I use to browse the forums has a connection. Is that really useful info?

I doubt it. But it's no skin off my back to leave invisibility off. So I will... Until I get inundated with misplaced pm's assuming I'm actively browsing when I'm not.

3. antimuff

antimuff Chieftain

If only there was some function in the forums that a user could use to notify the moderators of a problem, as opposed to finding one online and PMing them....

Could the admins set up some kind of, I don't know, report function? And perhaps these reports could go to some place that all the mods could see them? Or am I being silly again?

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

You only have 49 posts in these forums. Your opinion might not be held to be that important.

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

All opinions are important, and I read nearly everyone.

There is a report function, check for the icon that looks like a warning triangle under the member's name on the left side of the screen.

6. Takhisis

I was being sarcastic, O Person with an Amount of Posts Inferior to Mine but Still Substantial Enough to Win my Grudging Respect.

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Takhisis and antimuff, next time maybe you should use the "sarcasm alert" smiley...

8. Takhisis

Why, O Person with Even Less Posts than LE who, on Top of Everything Else, is Not a Moderator so I Don't Really Have to Take Into Account?

9. antimuff

antimuff Chieftain

Valka D'ur, maybe next time you could not tell other people how to post. Retired mod or not, that's just rude.

I didn't realize that post count was an indicator of worth of opinion in a post. So when does it show a worthy post? 50k posts? 75k?

10. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

Members thankful for this post (1):
    Double A

11. Takhisis

O Person With a Postcount Yet to Grow, dost Thou not Realise what Tone We are Using?
    Any Poster with One and Twenty Thousand Posts or More would be Considered Worthy.

12. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

That works fine for posts and PMs, but many of us have other issues/questions that require moderator attention that aren't related to any post. For instance, as a Modiki administrator I occasionally need to contact the staff about an issue, and it is nice to know who is around and who isn't.

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I hope I have enough posts to qualify....

There are three good ways to contact a moderator or moderators.

1) If you report a post and say why you did so, it is likely that several moderators will see the report over a 48 hour period. You could report one of your own posts in a thread where you want a mod to take some action or fix a problem. Every reported post gets looked at, but not always immediately.

2) You can pm a moderator directly to get their attention for your issue. I think most of the active of us will see it within 24 hours and respond.

3) You can post a message on a moderator's visitor wall and tell them of your plight. This should get you a response within a day if the moderator is not weighed down with RL. Of course, such a post is public.

In my case, I am always visible and can fix stuff just about anywhere, but generally only act to reprimand other posters in OT, NESing and IOT. If you asked me to fix a problem in a modiki, however, I would likely disappoint you.

15. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I agree with you for the most part, reporting is normally the best way of handling site issues. I was mostly trying to respond seriously and without comparing my postcount to that of others to the assertion that the report button is the be-all, end-all solution to problems.

16. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Is there a universal "WCIFI"-type* thread for the "Other games" and/or "all other games" subforums and their child subforums, where if one was looking for a particular mod or plugin or dlc for their favorite game but their google fu utterly faild them, and they could post there asking if anyone knew where said game mod was, or if it even existed in the first place?

If there is none, would such a thread be allowed, or no?

* WCIFI would of course, be an acronym for "Where Can I Find It?"

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Start one in "other games"?

18. Double A

This continues to be an issue, and it makes the search function literally useless 90% of the time. I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, and even IE on both of my computers, and if I recall, it was even an issue years ago when I still had a Mac and ran Safari instead of Firefox.

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

You're not by any chance double clicking on the 'Search Now' button?

(It'll be impossible for staff to replicate, BTW, as we don't have a wait time between searches; I can only offer suggestions!)

20. Double A

I'm not double clicking. Owen said he was experiencing the same problem right under my post.