Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where can we check the rules?
Hmm, i think i remember the forum rules were easy to find before the change in software. Now i can no longer find them. Maybe i'm just blind but i don't see any thread with those, nor do i see a link when i'm about to post something.

The link someone gave on page 1 of this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumRules.shtml) gives me an error page
At the very bottom right of the page, there is a link to the rules.

OK thanks i see it now.

I've noticed that after some time I stop getting alerts that there are new posts in threads I'm watching, is this a bug?

I picked my username 10+ years ago when I was very much into medieval stuff. Now I find it a bit silly and very pretentious.

How do I go about changing my forum username? (specifically, dropping the first word)

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this

I picked my username 10+ years ago when I was very much into medieval stuff. Now I find it a bit silly and very pretentious.

How do I go about changing my forum username? (specifically, dropping the first word)

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this

You PM an administrator with the request. :)

What does it mean when a user's name is crossed out?

What does it mean when a user's name is crossed out?
I've wondered about that as well. I think it might mean that the person is serving out a ban. :dunno:

How do you make tables in this new forum? I tried going to "Use BB Code Editor" and copying the code from here and it does not look right:

NameAge
John65
Gitte40
Sussie19

There are many variants of BBCode tags, and your source for table tag formatting is not the version implemented here.

Table entries are separated by | and there is no need for tr and /tr tags. Below is your table formatted for this site, along with the corresponding plain text, so you can replicate it elsewhere:

Name|Age
John|65
Gitte|40
Sussie|19

[table=head]
Name|Age
John|65
Gitte|40
Sussie|19
[/table]

Any chance the table info could be put in the 'more options' menu when replying to a thread. I keep having to dig back for this post whenever I want to use a table.

Also, it used to be that there would be some cell shading to make tables easier to read, would it be possible to add that back in?

There used to be a tab where my posts that moderators had recognized as exceptional were collected. Does that still exist?

sure does - seems to be visible to moderators only though...
I really hope there's a way to fix that. It is absolutely not right that we no longer have access to our own infraction records. Makes the appeals process rather pointless if we don't have ready access to the information we need (and don't come back about PMs, as not everyone keeps them, and besides, there's no way now to actually have a coherent filing system for PMs).

I don't even know how many points I have right now. I'll just do a PHB and assume that nothing's going wrong and nobody disapproves of me.

@Valka: I am (luckily) not involved in the admin side so I have frankly no clue on how easy or not it is to to let the affected user see it without giving them the ability to issue warnings (which it appears to be tied to by default if I understand some comments correctly) - the Xenforo software suffers from a severe lack of documentation in many of its functions so it may well be easy but not actually documented how to do it and hunting down odd posts on a support forum is a rather tedious job...

@Valka: I am (luckily) not involved in the admin side so I have frankly no clue on how easy or not it is to to let the affected user see it without giving them the ability to issue warnings (which it appears to be tied to by default if I understand some comments correctly) - the Xenforo software suffers from a severe lack of documentation in many of its functions so it may well be easy but not actually documented how to do it and hunting down odd posts on a support forum is a rather tedious job...
In that case, I very strongly urge the admins to adopt a policy where anyone can request a copy of their entire infraction history once per year (in addition to any occasion in which the member might decide to appeal an infraction or ban). Not allowing us to have this information is basically like not allowing the defendant to have knowledge of whatever evidence might be available. PMs may be lost or deleted, but the infraction record is permanent. We should have access to it.

I don't think this is an unreasonable thing to ask, since old infractions could well be relevant to an appeal. Once again - if we had been informed that this migration was going to happen, this is one more lot of information people could have archived, if they wanted to.

Apparently there is some Xenforo add-on that allows this, but it had some sort of bug, is broken, and is being updated. I think there's a broad consensus that we want people to be able to see that information, so In the meanwhile, I'll volunteer to let anyone know their own infraction history if they PM me.

Top Bottom