Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I'm still working on this. I moved my post to a new thread, and it seems that the first post in a thead doesn't receive a post number.

For the record, I did not say that I want a link to a window with a single post rather than displaying an entire thread.

For the record, I did not say that I want a link to a window with a single post rather than displaying an entire thread.
I understand that now. You want that moving posts doesn't break any links to them, right?

To be more precise, I want links to posts that don't link to a thread first, so that moving posts (not necessarily that post itself, but also e.g. others in the same thread, which might result in changing the page number) won't result in existing links being broken. See the examples above.

I will now move the above post to a thread in the Infraction Review Forum (Domen vs. Camikazi).

The original link to the moved post is

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-faq.59454/page-195#post-15099853

This link takes me to the last page of the FAQ.

Per Takhisis' suggestion, the following link should now link to the post in question:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-faq.59454/post/15099853

This link takes me to the first post in the FAQ.

The new link to the post in question is

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/domen-vs-camikaze.546943/#post-15099853

Last edited:
It links to here, Petek, which is what I've been saying all along.

It links to here, Petek, which is what I've been saying all along.
Still applies. I am not sure whether you've understood my posts at all, Petek.

@Takhisis - Let me try again: Do you want a new BBCode tag (such as <post>) that will link to a post by its post number? If so, I might be able to create one.

Could we have some sort of Previous <--> Next page-bottom feature back? It would seriously add finite time back into my life while morning check-in browsing here...
This suggestion was discussed here in the Xenforo forum. The consensus was that such a feature was not needed. I also was unable to find a Xenforo addon that added that feature. Sorry.

@Takhisis - Let me try again: Do you want a new BBCode tag (such as <post>) that will link to a post by its post number? If so, I might be able to create one.
More or less, yes. In fact there used to be one up until the time we were transplanted onto Xenforo. IIRC Plotinus handled it at the time.

This suggestion was discussed here in the Xenforo forum. The consensus was that such a feature was not needed. I also was unable to find a Xenforo addon that added that feature. Sorry.
[fumes] Those people are a little jerky - I appreciate that not everyone uses any given feature, but that's the way I prefer to browse until I have something to reply to, and it's a waste of my time to have to wait for an extra page load every. single. thread. with. a. new. post. in any subforum I try to keep up with.

Look, I know that any hacks/customizations to the forum software are a pain each and every time there's an upgrade, migration or whatever, but this is a very basic user-friendliness issue, and I still ask the trouble be gone to as worth it - there being no chance that the only person to speak up is the only one who feels this way. -At least keep an eye pealed for any addon that may surface in the future that'll let us skip surfacing for each and every thread. -I truly regret being difficult, but it's really annoying for those of us who like to glance at everything.

Please and thank you.

For subscribed threads you can use the Alerts function, but that only notifies you of posts in threads you're currently subscribed to as well as people mentioning you and dropping lines onto your profile page and one or two other things.

It's not as good as the original Previous <--> Next feature, though.

For subscribed threads you can use the Alerts function, but that only notifies you of posts in threads you're currently subscribed to as well as people mentioning you and dropping lines onto your profile page and one or two other things.

It's not as good as the original Previous <--> Next feature, though.
I also subscribe to forums so I get notifications of new threads that are started.

For some reason that hasn't worked for Site Feedback since the XenForo migration. Would you have time to look into that, @Petek? It does work in the other forums I'm subscribed to.

As for the "previous/next" issue, it's honestly not a big deal. I never used it even when we had it.

@Valka D'Ur ,
Do you subscribe to the entire SF forum or just some of the subforums?
The entire SF forum, and also the Infraction Review subforum. I just got a notification of your reply here, but I haven't been getting notifications for the Infraction Review subforum. Of course there's nothing there that I can reply to, but I subscribed because it's of interest to me. I should at least be getting notifications when a new thread is posted there.

I'm checking my email to verify if I've been consistently getting notifications for new threads since the migration. I don't think I have, since I've only noticed new threads after going there to read a new reply to a thread to which I'm already subscribed.

(It's going to take awhile to check on this since CFC notifications make up a large portion of the emails I get on a daily basis.)

The IR section may be a result of the threads not actually being new, instead being moved/copied from another section.

Top Bottom