Friday's PAX talk (with overview)

Both Austria and Ethiopia have had serious impact on world history, maybe a little smaller than some, but they're very worthy of being added.

maybe you should go look up some history rather than listening to some commercials.

Yeah, I have a Master's degree, just not in history. not everyone can afford to get advanced degrees in subjects that are mostly useless, thanks. And for those of us that did something more practical, like I said, a lifetime of having /that/ image projected at us is going to skew us, thanks.

Sorry, maybe I should just stay off the comp when I'm drunk but I'm not in the mood to be talked down to just because I educated myself in different subjects than you did. My point is just that, for most people who didn't study up on history, the Zulus would be way cooler than Ethiopia. We learn new things and that's great, but at the end of the day most of us non history-worshiping plebeians would rather have the Zulu. It's cool that you're not one of them, but I am and I'm just stating my opinion.

for all those who cannot see the stream: what's the UU/UA of austria und ethiopia?

The Unique ability of Austria is peacefully "absorbing" City States (i.e they don't conquer them, they marry them off and absorb them, something along those lines)

Not sure if there were any details on the UU/UA of Ethipoia or UU of Austria.

I'm sorry you're arbitrarily opposed to civilizations whose historical significance isn't part of mainstream Western culture. You should e-mail Firaxis about this; maybe they'll even change China to a production based nation, and give India an outsourced tech center UB and an emigration based UA.

EDIT: Austria's UA lets them annex (?) city states through diplomacy, using Royal Marriages. Their leader will be Maria Theresa. I think that's all we know

Hey, jerk. Moderator Action: That's not acceptable for this forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889 If you're going to "quote" me, don't change what I said in the quote. just common courtesy as well as basic fairness.

EDIT: and for the record, I responded before said jerk changed the cartoon angry face to "rant omitted"

Yeah, good job on assuming I understand nothing of history about even the most important non-western cultures just because I don't think Austria is as important as Rome or England to world history. Which I'm still pretty sure it isn't, thanks.

Im surprised people are completely undermining Austria's major contributions and characters in history to Europe. Also im very excited to play as the Ethiopians and cant wait to hear about their unique attributes! Im expecting perhaps another economic civ that focuses perhaps on GPT more so than luxuries.
The austria UA sounds great but did they mention if the mechanic is similar to the new espionage system? Thatd be some cool synergy

I expect the Ethiopians to have a religious UA, or at least they might have a UB that provides Faith.

Here's something cool about Ethiopia, they really beat tanks with spearmen:

Italian light tanks were driving in a bottom of a valley and ethiopians had blocked their routes, then ethiopian warriors attacked and set the tanks on fire.
As the crewmen crawled out of the tanks, their heads were cut off..

Picture:

Spoiler :

Still not confirmed for anything more than a scenario. REALLY wish people would stop saying they'll be a playable civ as though it's a fact. Really, you can stop that now....

Actually, that's not true. Dennis Shirk today said "in for a penny in for a pound," they're not just being included for the scenario.

That's why I've never felt so terrible about older era units occassionally beating modern units. They can use asymmetrical tactics to overcome technological disparities. It just takes a little imagination.

Here's something cool about Ethiopia, they really beat tanks with spearmen:

Italian light tanks were driving in a bottom of a valley and ethiopians had blocked their routes, then ethiopian warriors attacked and set the tanks on fire.
As the crewmen crawled out of the tanks, their heads were cut off..

Picture:

Spoiler :

Ethiopians were pretty great and did excellent job compared to most African countries/tribes. It went down hill mostly because of the DERG and the civil war during the 70s and 80s. There wasn't a single African country that resisted colonialism except for Ethiopia.

On a different note, maybe the UA of the Dutch is 'Freedom of Religion' since the Dutch have been known for that through the ages. The UB already represents how The Netherlands is an export-country and the UU it's naval supremacy back in the day.

The Dutch UA is called East India Company. The Unique Tile Improvement is trade oriented. The UU is naval.

I was just shortening it so people wouldn't have to scroll past three paragraphs every time someone quotes it.

Sorry, maybe I should just stay off the comp when I'm drunk but I'm not in the mood to be talked down to just because I educated myself in different subjects than you did. My point is just that, for most people who didn't study up on history, the Zulus would be way cooler than Ethiopia. We learn new things and that's great, but at the end of the day most of us non history-worshiping plebeians would rather have the Zulu. It's cool that you're not one of them, but I am and I'm just stating my opinion.

Maybe you should consider looking up the history of Austria and Ethiopia before you dismiss them? You don't have to be a history major to do ten minutes of research, and even if you don't want to do that, you could always just ask what makes them significant rather than flying off the handle.

(and for someone who hates historically "insignificant" nations, why would you want the Zulu?)

Ethiopians were pretty great and did excellent job compared to most African countries/tribes. It went down hill mostly because of the DERG and the civil war during the 70s and 80s. There wasn't a single African country that resisted colonialism except for Ethiopia.

And the murder/death of Haile Selassie (Still unclear which it was but I suspect it was a murder).

But even now Ethiopia still has some influence on the world. I.E. their church and its influence, especially in regards to the new election of the Coptic leader, its military intervening in Somalia many times, influence in the Israeli army, etc.

The Dutch UA is called East India Company. The Unique Tile Improvement is trade oriented. The UU is naval.

Oh didn't know that was already confirmed. Must've missed it somehow:p. I think 'Freedom of Religion' could've made sense though.

Hey, jerk. If you're going to "quote" me, don't change what I said in the quote. just common courtesy as well as basic fairness.
I thought the red angry face was a pretty good summation of your "argument."

Here's something cool about Ethiopia, they really beat tanks with spearmen: Italian light tanks were driving in a bottom of a valley and ethiopians had blocked their routes, then ethiopian warriors attacked and set the tanks on fire.
Can't really call them "spearmen" if they were armed with something that will set tanks on fire. Spears are not very good at that.

Actually, that's not true. Dennis Shirk today said "in for a penny in for a pound," they're not just being included for the scenario.

Hadn't heard that, thanks for the info.

I was just shortening it so people wouldn't have to scroll past three paragraphs every time someone quotes it.

Maybe you should consider looking up the history of Austria and Ethiopia before you dismiss them? You don't have to be a history major to do ten minutes of research, and even if you don't want to do that, you could always just ask what makes them significant rather than flying off the handle.

(and for someone who hates historically "insignificant" nations, why would you want the Zulu?)

Sorry, edited my post before you edited yours but before you responded. See above. Also, already provided my opinion about the Zulus. Just more well known to people like me and more bad-ass and all. Like I said, Hungary is the worst of the offenders and I really still don't think I'm wrong in assuming that they're not as cool to play against as England, Rome, etc. And I still don't want them bumping those civs out of my game since I like to play against random AI civs. But apparently i'm the only person who plays this game who "gets his history from commercials" so what freaking ever, enjoy Austria >.>

I thought the red angry face was a pretty good summation of your "argument."

Can't really call them "spearmen" if they were armed with something that will set tanks on fire. Spears are not very good at that.

I believe it was possible to set a tank on fire with a torch in the 30s. Especially if the tank is stuck you can simply stick a torch into the gas tank and it'll set it on fire.

Hadn't heard that, thanks for the info.

Sorry, edited my post before you edited yours but before you responded. See above. Also, already provided my opinion about the Zulus. Just more well known to people like me and more bad-ass and all. Like I said, Hungary is the worst of the offenders and I really still don't think I'm wrong in assuming that they're not as cool to play against as England, Rome, etc. And I still don't want them bumping those civs out of my game since I like to play against random AI civs. But apparently i'm the only person who plays this game who "gets his history from commercials" so what freaking ever, enjoy Austria >.>

yeah. I will enjoy austria :) btw. it's also not very epic to play against america in the bronze age....

yeah. I will enjoy austria :) btw. it's also not very epic to play against america in the bronze age....

If I can play against Inca in the modern age, I don't mind playing against America in the bronze age.

Top Bottom