Friday's PAX talk (with overview)

That wouldn't make much sense for the Huns.

Do we know who the Ethiopian leader is? I hope it will be Menelik II

Hope so, him or Haile Selassie I hope will be the leader... but I think and ultimately believe it will be Menelik II

Raze? ooooh. I thought it meant raise, as in build up their cities quickly o.O

I think they said raze. But I could have misintepreted this, so much was going through my mind at that moment, and the audio was acting up throughout the Shirk interview. The other thing is that they don't have their own city names. Instead they will use city names from all the other civs lists. It must be random or something. If they take over a city, they'll use the next name not used on the map that belongs to whoever. At least the Huns city names will be diverse. :)

Atilla's Court is the capital BTW!

Well I never heard the "z" when he said "raising".. to be honest I'm not sure "raising cities" is even a word. I gave my two cents in the other thread about that ability btw.

Yes, how can u raise cities faster anyway thinking about that it makes no sense. Razing them twice as fast saves a lot of time especially later when cities are much larger.

Hope so, him or Haile Selassie I hope will be the leader... but I think and ultimately believe it will be Menelik II

Are sad that Shaka is not in? LOL!!!

Are sad that Shaka is not in? LOL!!!

Err? Not sure what this is supposed to mean :p. But yes, am not sad, in fact glad if they aren't.

The Interview

Summary

New civs:
- Austria with Maria Theresa
- Ethiopia

New UA info:
- Carthage: Can cross mountains. Free harbors in their cities.
- Huns: Raise cities at double speed. Start with Animal Husbandry. +1 production from pastures. Huns UU: A horse archer and a battering ram (spearman replacement). No warmonger penalty against city states.
- The Songhai trait will be changed.
- Austria: Unique Ability allowing you to essentially absorb City-States into empire without conquest (sort of through marriage)

New combat info:
- Destroyers are melee. Battleships are ranged.
- Great Admiral heals surrounding naval units
- Dromon UU for the Byzantines, spits fire

Other things:
- National Intelligence Agency (wonder) gives an extra spy
- Huns steal city names from other civs, and trait name is Scourge of God
- More than one religion can influence cities
- The Naval AI does do amphibious invasions, and it is cold and calculating. It is fast and ferocious when doing so.

Other links:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?119093-Civ-V-Gods-amp-Kings-at-PAX

A thanks for the infos go to:
- Nokmirt
- Louis
- Anandus
- PlasticSoldier
- Arkangelus
- Gucumatz
- moysturfurmer

Anything missing?

"Trying to win the game the same way as us" has been removed from G&K as a diplomatic modifier alltogether. Good one!

He said that in the "Fall of Rome" scenario, if you choose eastern or western roman empire, you get some forced culture so you have to choose policies that are actually negative, so you become less effective throughout the game.

I feel like it's representing Edward Gibbons's discredited ideas about why Rome fell, but it still sounds like an interesting idea.

"Trying to win the game the same way as us" has been removed from G&K as a diplomatic modifier alltogether. Good one!

He said that in the "Fall of Rome" scenario, if you choose eastern or western roman empire, you get some forced culture so you have to choose policies that are actually negative, so you become less effective throughout the game.

Can't find either in the stream.

I also have problems finding the demo nor Lena Brenk in the stream...help!

Can't find either in the stream.

I also have problems finding the demo nor Lena Brenk in the stream...help!

Lena Brenk's interview was cancelled for tomorrow because she was showing the demo after Dennis' interview was longer than it should. Her interview should take place tomorrow (Saturday) if I'm correct.

New UA info:
- Carthage: Can cross mountains. Free harbors in their cities.

Being able to enter mountains will be very helpful if you're being attacked by a bunch of melee units. just head into the mountains to heal and they can't touch you. Range and siege units on the other hand . . .

I wonder how many movement points a mountain tile takes up (maybe they'll automatically end your turn like crossing a river). Also, I wonder if they will give a higher defense bonus than hills.

"Free harbors" sounds a bit misleading. To be honest, when I first heard it I thought newly built cities will start with a free harbor. But I assume it means no maintenance cost instead. derp!

I wanted to say some things about the new naval AI. I used my own words earlier when describing it. Hopefully they are not too far from the truth.

Dennis Shirk stated that the new naval AI can plan an amphibious invasion in about 10 turns, instead of the 50-60 in CiV vanilla. He said, "When it invades it will be impressive and devastaing."

Also the Great Admiral can repair the fleet to full strength. I am not sure if this means ships in a certain range of tiles, or every ship you own, but it expends him when you choose this option.

Diplomacy is based more on importance and things like "We covet your lands" will fade over time. The diplomacy system has been changed so relationships between civs do not just go in one direction and stay there. They have the potential to lead in other directions.

You can conquer a city state in some instances without penalty. Maria Theresa of Austria can marry into city states and absorb them into her empire. If a city state declares war on you you can conquer it without penalty.

City states also run on a kind of war weariness system. If you continually go around harassing them, and bully them, they will band together against you. Their influence towards you will drop to an excessive default negative. So, if your strategy is to become friendly with them at a later point, you will have to work twice as hard to gain influence with CSs again.

Religious city states give layers of faith.

Mercantile city states give you happiness. They also have either porecelain or jewelry unique luxuries, which they will give to allies adding even more happiness to those civs.

The Huns can build cities like any other civ. They steal other civs city names from the bottom up, of others civs city names lists.

They raze cities twice as fast. They get horses. Pastures worked in their territory adds production. The battering ram unique unit replaces the spearman. They also get a horse archer unique unit.

I had a lot of fun today looking in on PAX East. Sunday I will do the same. I'm sorry if I repeated anything you guys already know. :)

Did anyone see the Lena Brenk interview? And if so was there any new info? Thanks

Edit: @nokmirt: Good to hear that again :hatsoff:. Should make things clearer.

@vexing: Will be corrected in a second. 2. edit: Done.

Lena Brenk's interview was cancelled for tomorrow because she was showing the demo after Dennis' interview was longer than it should. Her interview should take place tomorrow (Saturday) if I'm correct.

Ah, okay, thanks :). Musth ave missed that they said it.

Top Bottom