Future Update - Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Brittany would make more sense as a Celtic civ than Cornwall (in fact, I'm a fan of the idea of a Breton civ--I'm all for Balkanizing Medieval France--give use Normandy, too, while you're at it).
Who says Cornwall would have to be purely Celtic? One of the most famous parts of the Cornish identity (other than bad weather and salt mines) is piracy. One could do a civ with a focus on naval raiding, maybe with a unique wrecker unit that would specialize in the destruction of ships along the Cornish shores. I only brought it up with celtic premises in mind is because they were the site of a (For ancient Britain) major nation: Dumnonia.

Who says Cornwall would have to be purely Celtic? One of the most famous parts of the Cornish identity (other than bad weather and salt mines) is piracy. One could do a civ with a focus on naval raiding, maybe with a unique wrecker unit that would specialize in the destruction of ships along the Cornish shores. I only brought it up with celtic premises in mind is because they were the site of a (For ancient Britain) major nation: Dumnonia.
Then let me rephrase: Brittany makes more sense for a civilization than Cornwall. Brittany was independent or autonomous up until the 16th century; Cornwall was never independent, being either a region within the Brythonic civilization or an English county. It was one of the last holdouts of Celtic culture after the Anglo-Saxon invasion, but that was hardly the high point of Briton history (nor did Cornwall have a unique identity distinct from other Britons at that point).

Then let me rephrase: Brittany makes more sense for a civilization than Cornwall. Brittany was independent or autonomous up until the 16th century; Cornwall was never independent, being either a region within the Brythonic civilization or an English county. It was one of the last holdouts of Celtic culture after the Anglo-Saxon invasion, but that was hardly the high point of Briton history (nor did Cornwall have a unique identity distinct from other Britons at that point).

What about Arthur Pendragon? :p

Just kidding...

I know it would never happen, but it would be really neat to get mini civ expansions based around a specific area or timeframe. Two specific examples I can think of:

Antiquity (timeframe) - Palmyra (Zenobia), Pontus or Parthia (Mithridates*), Illyria (Teuta), Gaul (Vercingetorix), Armenia (Tigranes II), Gothia (Alaric I), Carthage (Hannibal), Rome (Marcus Aurelius)
America (area) - Maya (Lady Six Sky), Cherokee (Dragging Canoe/John Ross), Apache (Geronimo), Salish (Seattle), Iroquois (Jigonhsasee), Muisca (Nemequene), Taino (Anacaona)

*Both countries have a ruler named Mithridates (two in Parthia's case) who is considered among, if not the greatest king(s) to rule over their respective kingdoms, so they're only interchangeable from the standpoint that you probably wouldn't see both together because their best leader choices share the same name

What about Arthur Pendragon? :p

Just kidding...
Like I said, I'll take Arthur over Bouddica. :p

I know it would never happen, but it would be really neat to get mini civ expansions based around a specific area or timeframe. Two specific examples I can think of:

Antiquity (timeframe) - Palmyra (Zenobia), Pontus or Parthia (Mithridates*), Illyria (Teuta), Gaul (Vercingetorix), Armenia (Tigranes II), Gothia (Alaric I), Carthage (Hannibal), Rome (Marcus Aurelius)
America (area) - Maya (Lady Six Sky), Cherokee (Dragging Canoe/John Ross), Apache (Geronimo), Salish (Seattle), Iroquois (Jigonhsasee), Muisca (Nemequene), Taino (Anacaona)

*Both countries have a ruler named Mithridates (two in Parthia's case) who is considered among, if not the greatest king(s) to rule over their respective kingdoms, so they're only interchangeable from the standpoint that you probably wouldn't see both together because their best leader choices share the same name
I think Hannibal would make more sense as a second leader for Phoenicia with his capital at Carthage. (I'd also choose Theodoric for the Goths.)

Louis-Napoleon is one of the few exceptions to my "no 19th century or later rulers please" preference.
To me I think 19th century should be ALLOWABLE, but rare, with a preference to the first half of the century.

I just like the color of more long past leaders but there are a couple from that century that I just like having.

To me I think 19th century should be ALLOWABLE, but rare, with a preference to the first half of the century.

I just like the color of more long past leaders but there are a couple from that century that I just like having.

I think such arbitrary cutoffs and limits are pointless, silly, and self-defeating. :nono:

I think such arbitrary cutoffs and limits are pointless, silly, and self-defeating. :nono:
I agree. The cutoff point should be the 16th century, which is not arbitrary but specific. :p

...Could you explain the logic of this pairing? :p
Both are in located Asia.:p
Honestly I wouldn't mind pairings like this. Of course this means we wouldn't get scenarios, but I have yet to play one, so I can live with it.

As for the Celtic discussion, I don't think we will get one but, the Welsh could come with the long forgotten Longbowman for their UU.

I think Hannibal would make more sense as a second leader for Phoenicia with his capital at Carthage. (I'd also choose Theodoric for the Goths.)

Do I misremember or was Hannibal not just a general . Was he not recalled to defend Carthage while he was still teaching the romans the meaning of the word fear and when he told the Carthage senate that the army could not win a set battle against the romans he was ordered to fight it never the less. I dont think we can classify Hannibal as a leader for Carthage. I like his accomplishments , i love the fact that even after 2 millenia all the military academies still teach him and his tactics and that his tactcis are still used in modern warfare but still no leader.

The cornish are also known for being amazing miners. So Cornwall would represent piracy, mining and ancient celts.

The problem is two of these things are pretty much already represented by England with it's new strategic resource mining bonus and also the sea dog being a good representative of piracy. Scotland also already has an industrial slant.

You could definitely make Cornwall different but when the other two British nations already have Industrial focused gameplay throwing a mining focused Celtic civ in might be a bit samey.

Ireland I would imagine would have a more religion focused game so would be the more unique of the two.

Actually if we do get a load more civilizations I could definitely see Ireland getting into the game if they didn't think there was any more 'must have' civs to put in. The addition of Canada and Australia makes me think they take the number of active players a country has into account and they might think Ireland would be good from a marketing perspective.

Really think people are just reading into the repo names way too much and all of them are just references to speed/the team working as fast as they can.

Can somebody please help out a non-native speaker?

In which way does “plaid” refer to speed? Neither ‘Leo’ nor the ‘Urban Dictionary’ does hint to anything else than the tartan pattern.

If new mechanics were added in these dlc's, I stan for an immigration system that depend on the loyalty, culture and goberment of the different civs or cities (local and external immigration) affecting the citizens in the cities. I think Argentina would be a nice civ for this mechanic.
Another mechanic I would love to see is a colonial system, like civ iv and v. Portugal or Venice could fit this.

Speculating on possible new leaders: can we assume that current members of the Hall of Fame scoring-ladder won't show up in game?

So for example: Hammurabi of Babylon is unlikely to become a playable character because of this.

I’d say that Cornwall is more famous for smuggling than piracy. When I think of the most famous British pirates, I can’t think of any who were Cornish (Blackbeard was from Bristol, Captain Kidd was from Dundee, Henry Morgan—more of a privateer anyway—was Welsh). In fact Cornwall suffered greatly from raiding by North African pirates.

On the weather side of things, the Atlantic storms are fierce, but Cornwall is a popular holiday destination because of a perception for relatively warm weather (admittedly but UK standards!)

Mining is arguably Cornwall’s greatest industry, with its tin mines in particular famous since the Bronze Age, with Phoenician traders bringing it to the Mediterranean.

I agree that Cornwall is a hard sell as a Civ, both given its lack of independent history since the kingdom of Dumnonia was annexed by Wessex, and particularly with the mining gameplay bonus taken by England.

Personally I’d favour the Gauls as Iron Age Western Europe representation.

Do I misremember or was Hannibal not just a general . Was he not recalled to defend Carthage while he was still teaching the romans the meaning of the word fear and when he told the Carthage senate that the army could not win a set battle against the romans he was ordered to fight it never the less. I dont think we can classify Hannibal as a leader for Carthage. I like his accomplishments , i love the fact that even after 2 millenia all the military academies still teach him and his tactics and that his tactcis are still used in modern warfare but still no leader.
As far as I'm concerned, after the Second Punic War, he became a sufet in Carthage, which was a position roughly equivalent to the position of Roman consuls, and was rather active one, before being forced to abandon Cathage by Romans.

So when can we expect new trailer if its expanssion ? coz about 2 months after trailer is release used to be.

Can somebody please help out a non-native speaker?

In which way does “plaid” refer to speed? Neither ‘Leo’ nor the ‘Urban Dictionary’ does hint to anything else than the tartan patter

also Elon Musk used the term Plaid for its latest Tesla S model with 3 engines , he wants Model S to be the fastest EV out there.

Elon Musk may be a visionary, but also well known as a bit of a meme today, hence the potential further hint that plaid really is used as a hint in connection with speed from Firaxis.

At least that's how I understand it.

Moderator Action: Spam quote post removed. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom