[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Mali I can see being primarily geared toward science as well as religion.

i would have gone more towards economy as it was a trading empire (as well as those two things)

i would have said mali to be diplomatic and ecomony based since of the leader who did his big trip and gave so much gold away. I think sweden will have the biggest science focused perks as their leader is supposed to be someone that retired studying if i understood correctly?

Retired to change religions and play socialite in Rome.

Retired to change religions and play socialite in Rome.
It will be interesting to see what Kristina's LUA will be. I don't think I would like a religious one for her, despite history. I still think she'll get the unique governor and thus will be geared towards infrastructure.
Sweden as a civ could easily be Scientific, Diplomatic or Militaristic.

So the first look video still implies Flight will still be the catalyst for earning tourism based on unique tile improvements. Which means at least that aspect of culture victory is unchanged. I get the impression that most of the triggers will be the same, but perhaps culture will give higher yields to domestic tourists pushing the threshold further in the future era.

i would have gone more towards economy as it was a trading empire

I'm very much hoping this. I want a civ that can pull in massive amounts of gold. Like Korea (Scotland for me can pull in more) can pull in lots of science, I want a civ that can pull in lots of gold. Cree, Persia, Poland, Egypt, England, Spain can pull in some gold, but I want more. :)

I’m currently playing a game as Spain and realized, in my warmongery Renaissance era, how useful the new grievance system will be for mid to late game powers.

Sure I can toss around a bit in the ancient, but with this new system I don’t have to consider the war monger penalties being too high when my units come into prominence if I want to pull back until then. Just a realization I had.

It will be interesting to see what Kristina's LUA will be. I don't think I would like a religious one for her, despite history. I still think she'll get the unique governor and thus will be geared towards infrastructure.
She was known for surrounding herself with some of the most prominent philosophers and artists of the age, so I could easily see a Great People-related ability (though they'd have to make it different enough from Pedro's). If not, then definitely something about Culture and/or Science. The civ ability might be something relating to the country's military history, but choosing Kristina makes me think they're going for an overall peaceful take on Sweden. Possibly it will be diplomatic, given things like the Nobel Prices (though the Peace Price is technically Norwegian) and UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld.

Based on her leaked depiction with a book, I think it's likely to be called "Minerva of the North" and have a focus on science and Great People (at least Great Scientists).

i would have said mali to be diplomatic and ecomony based since of the leader who did his big trip and gave so much gold away. I think sweden will have the biggest science focused perks as their leader is supposed to be someone that retired studying if i understood correctly?

i would have gone more towards economy as it was a trading empire (as well as those two things)

Yeah. They are missing a trick indeed if Mali is not an economic powerhouse, and if Musa doesn't get a LUA that allows him to throw money towards religious bonuses.
Yes obviously Mali will be an economic power through both mining and trading but I was thinking more on the lines of victory conditions. Timbuktu was one of the most prestigious universities in the Islamic world at that time and Mansa Musa used his gold to build many places of learning such as madrasas and mosques.
I guess I should have made it more clear.

Last edited:
Given how powerful the Maori appear, I wonder if older civs will be buffed up to compensate. As others have pointed out, the Maori's pros seem to FAR outweigh their cons. Great Writers aren't a huge loss and with the impact harvesting will have on the environment, it's hard to tell how damaging the loss of chops is.

Given how powerful the Maori appear, I wonder if older civs will be buffed up to compensate. As others have pointed out, the Maori's pros seem to FAR outweigh their cons. Great Writers aren't a huge loss and with the impact harvesting will have on the environment, it's hard to tell how damaging the loss of chops is.
I think that not having land allocated to them can be both beneficial or problematic. You might found 3 tiles away from a barbarian camp with horses that might prove trouble, or way too close to a city state or other civ's capital that you didn't see before founding to expand peacefully. Of course, it can mean easy conquering as well, depending on the situation. On deity, you can potentially found your capital and see it surrounded by three cities within close distance, where your extra pop won't help much. But this is all speculation, we can't really say how strong it is without having played GS or having seen someone play it. I'm also a bit skeptical because of the coastal cities that you are going to found a lot probably. When you are going for CV, the Maori are a late starter that really gets going in the modern era, which is fine per se. If sea levels start to rise at this point as well, however (we need to see how this works), your precious tourism generating tiles might be in danger.

Based on her leaked depiction with a book, I think it's likely to be called "Minerva of the North" and have a focus on science and Great People (at least Great Scientists).

That would mesh well with including a Nobel Prize inspired bonus as part of the general Swedish civ ability.

With 24 hours to reflect on it, I'm sticking with my assessment here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/māori-discussion-thread.639204/page-11#post-15291145

When you strip away all of the pros that are offset by cons, what you're left with are some okay bonuses and what appears to be the most powerful unique unit in the game - subject to finding out how much it costs, when it becomes available, whether it upgrades out of Warriors (can't imagine it doesn't, but we'll see), etc.

Not being able to get Great Writers is a huge malus to winning a cultural game, because every Great Writer you don't get is one another civ does get. While you're waiting for Flight, they're racking up lots of extra domestic tourists that you'll have to overcome. Should be a fun challenge, but far from easy, I would expect. It's also likely to be one of the most boring (read = passive) ways to try and win a cultural victory, but we don't know how cultural victory has changed in GS, so we'll have to wait and see.

This civ is going to be very dependent on how long it takes to make landfall and how good the starting coast it lands on is. There's a decent chance that in the hands of the AI, the Maori will be a lost cause more often than not. I'm guessing the Maori also get reloaded more often than any other civ by players who don't like playing difficult starting locations.

Is there any chance Sweden based on Kristina might be cultural as well? I think she will love to collect great people like scientists but since she was known to read and took many belongings from the national Museum of Sweden to Rome with her she might have an affinity for acquiring great works.

mean easy conquering as well, depending on the situation.

I think this is why they have such a strong uu. It can be easy to settle your first city thinking you have room to expand only to find out you don't.

I think this is why they have such a strong uu. It can be easy to settle your first city thinking you have room to expand only to find out you don't.
I fear when you are really, really unlucky on higher difficulties, a classical UU might be too late :p

Being the only person in the world that plays for Religious victory, I'm seeing some synergies with the Maori. Things like being able to move across ocean with my religious units before anyone else might be huge. Having a debuff unit next to my religious unit is nice. No great writers doesn't impact my gameplay at ALL.

Being the only person in the world that plays for Religious victory, I'm seeing some synergies with the Maori. Things like being able to move across ocean with my religious units before anyone else might be huge. Having a debuff unit next to my religious unit is nice. No great writers doesn't impact my gameplay at ALL.

But founding their first city later means a later start on building a Holy Site, and nowhere to stash a found relic until the city is settled.

Top Bottom