[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

I'm very disappointed about one thing though. If we get canals, if we get railroads, if we get rising sea levels, if we possibly get the Delta Works, then why isn't this the expansion where we get the Netherlands, led by king William I, known for basically bringing the Industrial Revolution to the Netherlands? I proposed this already even before Rise and Fall was announced...

...To be fair, of what we've heard of new mechanics so far - how much actually significantly affects AI decisionmaking? They'll just suffer natural disasters, in fact much like we do, a single modifier can steer them towards "prefer clean energy when available" to avoid polluting too much, etc. The only new coding you need to do for this expansion is World Congress and the reworked warmonger (or not really warmonger anymore) system. Other than that your AI guy can focus on improving current AI.

are you serious? :eek:

No, just no. I would love it if you were right, mind you! I'm not eager to pour water into your wine. But if it would be that easy it would have been done in the first place.
How about city and district setting, taking into account the new dynamic map-systems, benefits and dangers? How about using canals? What about resource-management of strategic resources? What about Air-Units, Naval Units and so forth?

P.S.: Oh btw: AI-improvements is not mentioned anywhere on the official announcement site either... I pray I will be proven wrong!

I think it's more likely the trailer is showing this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/557_Constantinople_earthquake

The old Hagia Sophia, yes which was then rebuilt into its much larger form that remains today by Isidore of Miletus (employed by Justinian, obviously).

Also, just food for though, the leaks maybe extremely accurate, but based on how our "source" has gathered them, it could be visual cues, in which case they could easily be misinterpreted. Hungary's crown is this:
Spoiler :

The crown was made in the Byzantine empire and it was stylized after one of the many crowns worn by Byzantine emperors. For example in this depiction of John Komnenos:
Spoiler :

Conspiracy theory: Byzantium is actually the new civ, not Hungary.

I hope you are right. Having the Byzantines in Civ6 would be great, especially if lead by a medieval emperor like Basil, John or Manuel. Hopefully the orthodox church and the earth quake in the trailer are a hint at the Byzantines being in this expansion. :cool:

Btw, those who said they would expect some gameplay due to the agonizingly long wait seem to have received their desires. I wonder if they're sated.
I was one of them. I'm enormously pleased. :goodjob:

I hope you are right. Having the Byzantines in Civ6 would be great, especially if lead by a medieval emperor like Basil, John or Manuel. Hopefully the orthodox church and the earth quake in the trailer are a hint at the Byzantines being in this expansion. :cool:

If my hypothesis/conspiracy theory/fanboy-ish prediction is correct, then the crown misinterpretation guarantees it's a medieval emperor, most likely from the Komnenian period onward.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about the change to Strategic resources, sounds like they're moving back towards how they worked in Civ 5 which is good. :thumbsup:

One thing I hate about Civ 6 is that access to just 1 Strategic Resource means that you can produce as many Special Units that require it as you want.

Hmm... One Civ has a unique governor... What is the chance of Ottoman Empire getting some kind of Pasha?

Could a First Look video be coming for next week, or do we have to wait until December?

I'm not actually sure. They have 2 more weeks than First Looks. Last year it was one more and they filled the gap with an overview video.

I'm not actually sure. They have 2 more weeks than First Looks. Last year it was one more and they filled the gap with an overview video.
On the other hand they've already stated that they have a lot of mechanics to go over, which opens itself to perhaps a number of First Look videos on mechanics, not just civs, like they did for the vanilla release.

Looks fantastic and great job firaxis on stepping up to the plate on climate change. It's inclusion in the game is a statement of fact on the matter.
:rolleyes: (No, I'm not a climate change denier. I just think the politicization of the issue by both sides is inane.)

are you serious? :eek:

No, just no. I would love it if you were right, mind you! I'm not eager to pour water into your wine. But if it would be that easy it would have been done in the first place.
How about city and district setting, taking into account the new dynamic map-systems, benefits and dangers? How about using canals? What about resource-management of strategic resources? What about Air-Units, Naval Units and so forth?

P.S.: Oh btw: AI-improvements is not mentioned anywhere on the official announcement site either... I pray I will be proven wrong!
Actually Dennis did specifically mention AI improvements at the very end of the stream.

My initial reaction: massive unmitigated hype, can't help it!

I am intrigued by how the AI will interact with the ramifactions of climate change. A player could theoretically play to mitigate all climate effects within her/his own borders, but I could see the AI churn out coal plants and oil platforms ad nauseum simply to remain hyper-productive, which means even the greenest of players will suffer the consequences of AI actions. Very interesting...

Top Bottom