Gen. Rommel's Mighty Unit Emporium - A Unit Preview Thread

Gen. Rommel

Wüstenfuchs
UPDATE: I've updated this post with the unit previews I've posted so far...saves you guys the trouble of sifting through the thread to view them. A big thanks goes to Taras Bulba for taking the time and organizing the pics into one post.

Alright, I've been standing under a lot of pressure from other members to create a unit preview thread for the units I've been working on, and quite frankly, I buckled under the surmounting pressure! :crazyeye:

I kid of course! However, my initial intention was to first finish everything up and release it all at on...you know what, I'll shut up and just post the pics now!

This will be the place to view all my units in the works as I make them, so check back often (or don't :p).

Here's what I have so far (some of them previews are not yet in renderd form, so bear with me):

Greek Units:

1. Spartan Regular Spearman

2. Spartan Elite Spearman

Germanic Units:

1. Germanic Axeman

Medieval Units:

1. Teutonic Knight

Prussian Units:

1. Prussian Line Infantry 1740

2. Prussian Grenadier 1740

3. Prussian Musketeer 1756

4. Prussian Grenadier 1756-1763

5. Prussian Musketeer 1763

6. Prussian Jäger 1760

7. Prussian Winter Infantry 1812-1815

8. Prussian Line Infantry 1815

9. Prussian Line Infantry 1830

10. Prussian Infantry 1806

11. Prussian Grenadier 1806

12. Prussian Jäger/Chasseur 1813

13. Prussian Landwehr 1815

14. Prussian Lützow Freikorps 1813

U.S. Civil War Units:

1. 14th Brooklyn Regiment (New York State Militia) "Red Legged Devils" 1864

WWII Units:

1. German Infantry 1943

2. German Fallschirmjäger 1941

3. German "Great Leader" (Hitler)

4. German Waffen-SS 1944

5. German "Great Leader" (Rommel)

Vietnam Era Units:

1. U.S. Soldier (Vietnam War)

Feudal Japanese Units:

1. Date Clan Naginata Samurai

Amazing modeling... really good job! Can't wait to see them released!
Not sure I have seen too many units match the inspiration pic as well as these do.
(I have no helpful criticism)

Holy heck! I can use pretty much all of these! They're modeled amazingly! Well done!

Absolutely astounding models! Must have taken quite some time...but thanks for your great attention to the details. These look really great. I look forward to seeing them animated!

Oh man, can one of the mods change the title to Gen. Rommel'sMighty Unit....I was looking up something about the anime movie Akira while making this thread and got confused!!!

:lol:
I saw the thread title and thought, "Why the heck is Gen. Rommel posting a thread about "Akira's" models?"
I guess that explains it. It's a great movie.

The units look amazing, but I must say I'm especially eager for the Germanic Axeman. I love the look of him. I hope if you include any civ-colouring that you don't get rid of the great looking striped pants, or at least keep the stripes in them.

You've really stayed true to the look of the models.:goodjob:

Man, I'm completely surprised by the massive, positive praise. There was not one single critique point! Guess I can be satisfied with that then hehe. I truly consider these all great compliments considering they come from the biggest and most tested CivIII comunity on the net. Thank you very much, it greatly inspires me to continue my work. And I apologize for the over-detailing, I am very nit-picky and always overdo things a bit. Fortunately you didn't see the cufflings buttons on any of the Prussian units. Seriously, no one will EVER see those at civ-scale, but for some reason I can't sleep at night when little details like that are missing. :dubious:

Spoiler :

Stormrage said:
You missed #6 tho..

Whoops, you're right! Consider that part fixed. :blush:

Stormrage said:
When I saw Akira, I thought these would be Japanese units

Those will come later! ;)

Blue Monkey said:
All outstanding! My favorite piece of work is the Spartan Elite. Is that sculpted armor a texture?

I also consider the Spartan Elite my favorite of the bunch. I loved working on him the most to be honest, and when I saw the concept art, I knew I had to make him. And the armor is indeed a texture...if I revealed the method behind making it, you'd most likely laugh at its simplicity. However, I am very pleased with the way it turned out (you can even make out the muscles at civ-scale).

:lol:
The units look amazing, but I must say I'm especially eager for the Germanic Axeman. I love the look of him. I hope if you include any civ-colouring that you don't get rid of the great looking striped pants, or at least keep the stripes in them.

All my units will have a civ-colored version as well as a non-civ-colored version. No worries, I will always take into great consideration that the civ-coloring doesn't ruin the unit's look. And indeed, those stripes will stay at all costs! ;)

Oh, and another preview I forgot to upload before. This unit is FAR from done and still needs to be reworked on various points (notice the shins and boots need to be recolored, the texturing on the shield is buggy, etc.). But you get the jist of it from the picture I figure.

Teutonic Knight:

These are superb! Finally some really nice "Preussen" (including the "Schwertbruder")! :D
The Spartans and that Germanic brute are impressive, also. Great modeling work and wonderful attention to detail. :thumbsup:

...and hey, can't have too much detail. Believe me, it shows even if you can't see it at Civ-scale.

You want some critic? Well, you don't think you can post a medieval unit and get away with it... ;)

Helmet: No horns. Never. He's walking into combat, not parading on a tournament.
Shield: Coat of Arms is too modern. Just give him the black cross.
Arms: Get rid of the "Braveheart-style-LARP" leather.
Hands: Cover them in mail.
Feet: No steel shoes, too modern. Regular shoes or mail.

You want some critic? Well, you don't think you can post a medieval unit and get away with it... ;)

Helmet: No horns. Never. He's walking into combat, not parading on a tournament.
Shield: Coat of Arms is too modern. Just give him the black cross.
Arms: Get rid of the "Braveheart-style-LARP" leather.
Hands: Cover them in mail.
Feet: No steel shoes, too modern. Regular shoes or mail.

Finally hehe! Alright, I'll definitely take those things into consideration. My bad, but I'm just as spoiled by Hollywood as the next guy. Things like that totally screw up historical accuracy. But I thought the horns were meant as a scare-factor, something to intimidate the enemy warriors, similar to the Mempo face masks that samurai wore.

Nope, the horns are just for tournament. Believe me, you don't want to fight with these on your helmet.

Top Bottom